Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest carpie@sanchez

Common vs buffalo

Guest carpie@sanchez

I've seen some pics of buffalos and they look like commons to me. How do they differ. I can see an obvious difference in grass carp and mirror carp, but not in the buffalo.

Does anyone know if the Mon river in WV has buffalo or grass carp? I've caught both common and mirror, but never a grass or buffalo. At least I don't think I've caught a buffalo.

smbuf1.jpg

smallmouth buffalo

mcarp.gif

common carp

color is different, mouth is different, body shape is a little different,

buffs are in the sucker family, and carp are in the minnow family...

I couldn't tell you how many times ive heard somebody mistake a buffalo for a carp... :D

for more info on buffs, check out this page

I hope this helps...

I don't know mo,,,,,

that blue thing that the fish is holding looks pretty similar to me :D

Guest carpie@sanchez

OK. Thanks for the info. Looks like color is the main difference. Does the buffalo not have barbles like the common carp?

Anyone know if they are common in the monongahela river?

no barbels on Buffs,,,

Monongahjlelia has plenty of them !

blue thing? :D:D --well I have been called many things in my life... :D:D:D:D:D:D

:D Knew you'd read thjat sooner or later !! :D

Guest phonebush

carpies,

The answer to your first question is yes, the Mon contains buffs. Probably smallmouth. Every state in the SE has buffs.

As for the difference, well when you catch one you will know it is not a carp. Buffs are slimmy, stink, have big eyes, different scale pattern, did I mention they stink.

Phone

Guest carpie@sanchez
carpies,

The answer to your first question is yes, the Mon contains buffs.  Probably smallmouth.  Every state in the SE has buffs.

As for the difference, well when you catch one you will know it is not a carp.  Buffs are slimmy, stink, have big eyes, different scale pattern, did I mention they stink.

Phone

Interesting :D Smelly huh?

I've caught a lot of carp in the mon, but to my knowledge I don't remember catching any buffalo. I guess I would've noticed the color and the lack of barbs. Do they really stink worse than a common carp?

Do they eat the same baits as commons? Dough balls, Bollies, corn?

carpies,

The answer to your first question is yes, the Mon contains buffs.  Probably smallmouth.  Every state in the SE has buffs.

As for the difference, well when you catch one you will know it is not a carp.  Buffs are slimmy, stink, have big eyes, different scale pattern, did I mention they stink.

Phone

Phone - I found that the buff I was catching seemed to be less slimy (more of a rough feeling) than the commons. They are very cool fish though - I am gonna break the 60lb barrier after next years ATC.

Here's a side by side comparison. A 20+ carp which is only 1/3 the size of a monster 60+ buff. I look forward to catching one of these on my next trip to Austin. I know Donnie's girlfriend occassionally wakes him up in the middle of the night to disupt his incessant drooling and mumblings of "I love you town lake buffalo". What a dreamy fish.

atc-fishguys-buff-brace.jpg

Guest RoughFisherman
I know Donnie's girlfriend occassionally wakes him up in the middle of the night to disupt his incessant drooling and mumblings of "I love you town lake buffalo". 

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Guest Stewkey Blue

How far north can they be found , any in the Niagara Pen. , WNY area , I want one of those :D