Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest NY Rob

Need help!! Mirror carp or not.

11/25/05

Looks like a fully-scaled mirror to me. There are some obviously outsize scales, and the rest look diverse, rather than uniform.

Glad you asked - I caught one about 5 years ago, and they put it in the old NACA bi-monthly newsletter - I'm going top add it to my Profile.

Best.

Combobait

All ...

Friendly debate here between myself, and another who caught this lovely specimen and whom I disagree with on the fact that this fish is a mirror carp.

DO NOT hesitate to post opinion. No one will be offended here. No one!!

It wont be the first or last time Im wrong but Ive seen too many fish like this and would like a final, once-and-for-all answer on these "irregular" looking fish.

So please .. post up with either a yes or no and then why. Much appreciated.

11/25/05 - I would add this to my other thought about NJ Rob's fish. I caught at least one small carp - 3 lbs or so - having some large, and all irregular, scales like Rob's. This fish was caught by me in the same small - perhaps 4 acre or so - pond where I caught a much larger (11 lb.) fully scaled mirror which was pictured in the Jan/Feb 1998 issue of NACA, page 15. This bigger guy was undeniably a mirror carp - indeed I think it would qualify as a fully-scaled "linear" mirror because the scales in the lateral line had a distinct pattern. Maybe this bigger guy was spreading his genes around, resulting in the younger ones with the pattern of Rob's fish. I can still recall my mounting worry as the mirror drew close - and I realized what I had - that the hook would pull. - Combobait.

Ok, just to start off this great debate again. Whats this one? The scales on both sides are irregularly shaped toward the tail but more uniform near the head. When I was bringing it in it shone like no carp I've ever caught. More silvery than golden.

02-04-2006001.jpg

2/7/06

At the risk of alienating NJ Rob, who is going to help me get a permit for Oradell Reservoir in NJ for sure, I have to say the same thing about a mirror that I tell my students in school when they argue for an "A" -- "If you have to argue to get an 'A', you shouldn't get one".

I'd already mentioned that I'd caught one of these odd scaled types in a small pond where I'd caught a larger carp that was most definitely a fully-scaled mirror -- actually a fully scaled "linear" mirror.

So keep fishing that spot - there's an undeniable mirror there scattering his genes around. - Combobait

Combo, you must not have seen the post. I did get a fully scaled mirror in addition to this fish. This was not arguing for an "A" as I already got one, now I'm trying to learn something from the content of the test. Being a relative "noddy", I am trying to understand the sub-classifications of carp. To me if the scales are not uniform in shape, color and number of scales, then its not a common. But then you have terms like "scatter scaled common" and "muddler" that seem to describe this fish. Not only were the scales irregular in shape and pattern, but they had the shine of the mirror I caught that day as well. When landing it I thought it was a mirror before I even saw it because of the reflection coming off of its scales, not auite what you see on a fully scaled mirror but different from a common too. The reflective quality of the scales was the first thing to say "mirror" to me. Then I saw that the scales were also in irregular patterns on both side at the tail and that they were not shaped quite right.