Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Carpaholic

Had a Triple Crown?

Hi all -

In the pursuit of carp, we often come across various other species. Some find it challanging to target multiple species. If you've ever hit a "triple crown" let's hear about it.

It could be Carp/Buff/Sucker

or Carp/Buff/Drum

or Carp/Drum/Bowfin

the combinations are many.

It would be great to see pictures as well.

Carp, gudgeon, skimmer bream!! :D

Sounds good Brian!  :D

P.S.

How about Walleye/Drum/Carp/Buffalo/Sucker/Sauger/Gar/Musky

Ahh I love the Monongahela River  :D

dude you're off the chain!!!!!! :D

I love fishing the Saginaw River.....some trips you will get the following carp fishing with sweet corn, boilies, and bread balls:

Smallmouth bass

Channel Cat

White Bass

Carp

Freshwater Drum

Perch

Most trips result in a bunch of Cats and carp with an occasional drum or 10

Here is a pic of a nice 17 pound carp and a 12 pound drum.

post-1096-1153169004_thumb.jpg

Most different fish I have caught in one day would have been redfish, seatrout, black drum, flounder, sheepshead, whiting, a blue fish, and a spanish macheral (also caught some unwanted cridders; mainly stingway; late October 1999 or 2000; we got alot of fish that day; were cleaning fish well after dark; started out about 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning. Been told most of the time when you order scallops in a restaurant you get cubed stingrays. Fishing with live shrimp. Got into a school of spanish macs not too far out; was frustrating because we didn't expect them and didn't have the right bait. Was fishing with 2 buddies down in the marshes around Darien and Brunswick Ga.; some would say (including me) that stretch along the flats and intercoastal waterway from Brunswick south to Jacksonville is the best :D flats fishing you will find.

Edited by Rouster

Guest AnthonyR

Carp, LM bass, and bluegill. The latter two on the fly. I've also done Striper, bass, and bluegill again the latter two on the fly. As my title indicates, I love all types of fishing(although carp and stripers are in 1st)

I've never caught 3 species in one day in the same body of water though, I have to fish two spots to do that. One day(in the spring when the bass are bedding and the carp are just warming up), I'd love to see how many species I can catch.

Edited by AnthonyR

Guest FortWorthBret

Earlier in the year, I caught (within 20 minutes) a common carp, smallmouth buffalo and freshwater drum in that order, on the same boilie.

Around here, we call this a hat trick. heh

-b

Edited by FortWorthBret

A carp, buff, and drum on the same brollie within 20 minuites of each other.. :D ...Now thats impressive!

heres one from the past weekend (sunday/monday) at the tidal basin in dc.

common, crusian, crusian/goldfish hybrids, goldfish, smallmouth bass, bluegill, channel cats, brown bullhead, yellow bullhead.

all caught on sweet corn under a float.

Guest Starless Dragon

Are there any rules to this?

Does it have to be caught on the exact same bait? Or can it simply be all the different species you've caught in a day at the same spot? Cause I've caught 10-12 species in one spot, hehe.

Here's a good one though.

A few weeks ago, I caught a Buffalo, followed by a Drum, followed by a Carp...

On Live Minnows!

Was nightfishing with FortWorthBret, had a carp rod, and two rods with live minnows...

My carp bait ( Corn at the time ) was totally ignored, and all three fish came on the live minnows!

Not the first time I'd caught carp on live minnows, but the first time I'd caught a buff on one, let alone both, back to back!

Pretty cool.

Guest Starless Dragon

As far as many fish from one single water in one day, I've had:

Carp, Redhorse Sucker, Freshwater Drum, Channel Catfish, Yellow Bullhead, Black Bullhead, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike, Walleye, Rock Bass, Bluegill, Green Sunfish and Yellow Perch.

I believe I also caught some White Bass and some Crappie at that spot, but I don't think I caught them that one crazy day.

One of my favorite fishing spots ever, the Rum River in MN.

At other spots I've caught great combinations of Carp, Freshwater Drum, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye, White Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Northern, Channel Cat, Yellow Perch, and Bullhead. Not always in the same day, but from the same water.

Some of my best variety in Texas has been a tiny branch of the Concho River where in one day at the same water I caught Carp, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Bullhead, Bluegill, Sunfish, Channel Cat, and of all things, Rio Grande Cichlid!

Still the only place I've caught Cichlid.

It's not too uncommon to catch the local species here. Carp, Smallmouth Buffalo, Freshwater Drum, Largemouth, and Channel cat.

We've seen largemouth caught on corn and boiles even!

I guided a client to a "slam" on the Fulton Chain in upstate New York... She caught a tiger muskie, 7 northern pike, and a smallmouth and largemouth bass. It was very exciting as we used topwater around docks to find that last magical Largemouth.....

CarpDaddy

Guest english bob

Kent had a Carp, Buffalo and Catfish last Sunday at Carters, but I think he is trying to keep it quiet, I almost did the same but skillfully avoided the catfish and settled for a carp and buff. :D

Guest Krzfshrmn

I have caught Yellow Perch, Redear Sunfish, Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Largemouth Bass, Rock Bass, Channel Catfish and Rainbow Trout at a local lake in one trip. All were caught with Mr. Twisters.

Edited by Krzfshrmn

Guest Big Burk

triple headers are very common for me because in the morning unless its during a heat wave i target pike or walleye, then around 11 i get set up and fish for carp till about 8 then its back to walleye unless the carp are bitting good. midnight its hard to decide wheither to target carp or walleye where i fish because there are soo many walleye's and the carp are an average of 12-16lbs.

Guest irondragon013

I caught bluegills, bullhead, and redhorses in aboutan hour in a same creek. Caught close to a hundred fish in a few hours. Not giant fish but they were fish. Too bad there aren't carp in there.

Steven

Actualy it was the strangest day of fishing I had all of 06.I caught two carp one lrg pearch and of all things a salmon on a hair rig with corn.Ashbridges bay toronto in octobre.I also caught a carp,bowfin and a 2 inch pike.

Edited by carpling

I've had a few triple Crowns myself in 2006

:D

crownroyalwhiskey.jpg

I got a triple crown as well... One carp small one carp medium and one carp large... add more ground bait and repeat( leaving out the small and medium)

Guest Starless Dragon

How about ten species in one morning on one lure?

Last week, at a tailrace, fishing a white roadrunner for the TXFishes Roadrunner Contest, I caught:

Common Carp, Smallmouth Buffalo, Longnose Gar, Freshwater Drum, White Bass, Largemouth Bass, Blue Catfish, White Crappie, Gizzard Shad, and Green Sunfish.

The strangest for me was getting 5 species of catfish in one outing: Channel, Yellow Bullhead, Black Bullhead, Madtom, and Stonecat. Oh, and a couple carp and a rock bass. All on sweetcorn or hotdogs. I believe the carp and rockie (goggle eye) were the only ones on corn.

Lux

I've caught a Common Carp, A Grass Carp & a Channel Cat all in a 1 hour Span!

Edited by dale46226