• EXPENCIVE/NO VALUE IN JOINING
    • NOT GIVING THE CARP HUGGERS $
    • HAVE NOT ASKED MOM OR DAD
    • UNSURE OF WHY I SHOULD JOIN
    • NO OTHERS IN CAG NEAR ME
    • CAG'S IMAGE
    • NOT ENOUGH EVENTS

Anyone interested in a free extension of their membership by the way? :D

Just write a good article for the NACA, and if its published, you'll get a free 3-month membership extension... Of sign up new members, and you'll get an extension as well...

Jerome: you'd better do some decent fishing and filming now! :D:D

Yes! Finally! Ok, I'll go tomorrow (too windy today!).

============

This being said, we're side-tracking a bit, back to the original topic, could we hear more from non-members on why they don't join CAG, and what could we do to change their minds?

We need more members. period. you say the forum is great so why not support the club by joining. I'm not sure I get it. Not trying to attack you just not sure about the whole thing.

You see my point exactly then. The forum is free. It is the only thing I find useful from CAG.

Again, I am not all that much into "multiple, consecutive day fishing trips " - 12 hrs is about my limit, and I usually don't prefer to go much over 8. Therefore, some of the CAG only tournaments do not appeal to me.

I suppose, I could join and attend a few w/o fishing 24/7, but then my chances of winning would be gretly reduced.

I do like the competitive nature of tournaments, and I have attended several "non CAG" events in the past and will continue to do so in the future. Any of these "multiple day" events that I have been to - I DO NOT fish constantly straight through - I am done after 10 - 12 hrs, and I find it valuable to seek out a chilly beer to end the day and always find it more relaxing to spend the night in a bed, as opposed to a bed chair.

I have also fished several CAG fish ins during my career, but again - after 10 - 12 hrs or so, I am done. Being mostly for fun, there is no down side to putting in considerably less fishing hours at a CAG fish in.

Again, 24/7 for two or three days is not my bag.

As a former CAG member (signed on years ago as #201) - the club received $ support from me long before most current active members proabably ever heard of CAG. After supporting the group for many years, I decided that I had received all of the benefits that I needed from the club, and I was no longer interested in being a member.

I have reached a limit on the amount of gear/baiting tactics that I am willing to use - so again, $$ discounts on carp gear does not interest me. Will this limit my chances of landing 30+, and 40+ lb carp? It sure will. But, catching a behemoth is not always necessarily my goal when fishing. I would love to land fish that big, I'm just not willing to put in the time and effort necessary to increase my chances dramatically enough to make it possible. Find a spot where these fish live, put in the time to bait, fish, use better strategies, etc for a long enough period of time and anybody can catch fish that big.

I am NOT the die hard carper that most other folks on here seem to be. This, I believe, is probably the most significant factor in the limits to the number of people willing to join CAG. There really just is not a high enough number of folks in the U.S. that interested in serious carp fishing. If there were, then there would be several clubs and organizations just like CAG.

Cag has done a great job of promoting the sport and educating folks about carp, but the interest that some folks think is there - just doesn't exist.

As far as paying dues just to be on the Forum - that would certainly hurt CAG, as it would limit the effectiveness of CAG's ability to recruit new members and to extol the virtues of their stated goals.

If the forum were to be closed to non members, I am sure that other forums would be created to take it's place. I know that there are other forums currently out there that I could join (also for free) - but I happen to think that this is the best one available, and I enjoy reading and posting messages on this forum.

how's that?

This has to be an award winner of 'thread bumps'.

Patrick: I looked for the very same reason. I agree :)

I joined because of the information that is available on the Members Only section. This is my second year in CAG. I had all the stuff to fish for carp, catch and release properly with all the tackle I had before I joined CAG. But I wanted to learn the Euro style of carping. I have bought rods, reels, mat, sling, tripod, alarms, and a scale. I didn't have to buy them but felt it would expand my fishing knowledge. I was recently at the Watts Bar fish-in. I saw a couple of things that I have asked for Christmas. I don't have time or $$$ to fish out of state but have some great carping within ten minutes of my home where I caught my PB buffalo. Watts Bar Dam is one hour away.

I also am a life member of BASS. I keep my membership for the conservation news in their magazine, BASS Times. I sold my bass boat several years ago. Too many people on the water for my comfort.

I am a member of Trout Unlimited and have held offices in the local chapter plus served as state council chair. I keep my membership because of their mission of conserving, protecting and restoring coldwater fisheries.

I plan on renewing CAG as long as I'm able to fish for carp. I have taken two of my grandsons carping and they ask when are we going again! This gives me an excuse to go carping.

I encourage anyone who reads this forum to join.

Tight lines and noisy alarms!

Thinking about joining soon... and not that it matters as I plan on joining anyway... but is there still a "welcome to cag" package sent out with stuff from sponsors for first time members?

Posted · Hidden by kentlakecarper, December 11, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by kentlakecarper, December 11, 2013 - No reason given

Thinking about joining soon... and not that it matters as I plan on joining anyway... but is there still a "welcome to cag" package sent out with stuff from sponsors for first time members?

Yea , but if your expecting anything good , dont get your hopes up.

CAG has changed a lot in the 10 years I have been around it , somethings for the good but most for the bad. The forum is dominated toward SPONSORS and the forum is full of sponsored anglers only looking to promote their sponsor...even if that means showing off catches caught on other baits/gear but claiming them as their sponsors. The whole FEEL of the group has completely changed and their are a lot of carpers that have left CAG because of these changes , look through the members list and see just how many of the founding anglers that started this forum are gone.

I just feel the direction that the group is going is not for me...instead of PROMOTING carp fishing to gain respect , its changed to promoting carp fishing to gain money and sponsors...guess we are truly following in the UK footsteps...sad.

It took me a while to join after finding the forum in about May 2013. I joined in November 2013.

I will be honest and say that although I had met many friendly, generous, and helpful local members of CAG I was unsure about the organization and what my belonging to it would reflect about me online. I did not want to join an organization that took extreme positions, had an extreme political agenda, etc. so I waited a little while to make sure I understood all the in's and out's of the organization before joining.

The local members of the organization saved me a lot of trial, error, frustration and money by helping me learn. I appreciate it a great deal. My membership is certainly worth the value I have received from making those local contacts alone; in addition to any other benefits it offers.

P.S. I haven't received my new member packet yet at this point.

It took me a while to join after finding the forum in about May 2013. I joined in November 2013.

I will be honest and say that although I had met many friendly, generous, and helpful local members of CAG I was unsure about the organization and what my belonging to it would reflect about me online. I did not want to join an organization that took extreme positions, had an extreme political agenda, etc. so I waited a little while to make sure I understood all the in's and out's of the organization before joining.

The local members of the organization saved me a lot of trial, error, frustration and money by helping me learn. I appreciate it a great deal. My membership is certainly worth the value I have received from making those local contacts alone; in addition to any other benefits it offers.

Well said, Brian.

I agree with you Tribal. I like the fact that carp fishing in the US isn't as popular as it is in the UK. That's part of it appeal to me. It's basically what bass fishing is here. A big business. A way to make a profit to better peoples financial situations rather then pure enjoyment of the sport. I don't see the fun in catching a 75lb carp ( in the UK) that 20 other anglers caught before and the only reason there that big is because anglers are dumping 100s of lbs of boilies in the water on reagular basis.

I just don't see the appeal to make carp angling as popular as bass fishing is here or carp in the UK. Besides loving the fight these fish put up, the fact you can show up to most waters and not have to fight for bank space is a Hugh draw. Just think about it before we try to make this sport as big as it is in the UK. Is that what we really want?

I've been a member since I joined CAG haven't renewed because funds have been low. But as far as a group even though not many of my state are active on here I love this place I've learned a lot. Met some great people it all makes it worth it. As soon as I get funds I will renew and continue to renew.

Although I only joined CAG about 5 years ago, in 2008, I've been fishing for carp nearly 55 years (I was about 14 when I caught my first one). I seldom participate in any CAG fishing events (except the FFF and an occasional local "fish-in"), and I've accumulated enough tackle in my 68 years that I don't need to order much from our vendors (so the discounts -- while nice -- aren't a big personal selling point).

But besides all the helpful and valuable information I've learned through the Forum, I've made a number of friends and met new fishing buddies. Without CAG, I would never have met most of those fine folks. Plus, there is one other huge incentive that encouraged for me to join.

CAG has given me a new perspective regarding carp fishing. Before joining, I was "one of those guys" who had been indoctrinated by certain outdoor writers and (supposed) fisheries experts who propagated and popularized the concepts that "carp are bad" and "carp should be eliminated". Although I always tried to never waste any resources, I admit to having killed a few carp (fortunately, just one or two) "just to take them home to show them off" (that was before digital cameras, and after all, I had been taught that "it's only a carp"). Since joining CAG and recognizing the value of carp as a fisheries resource and their potential as "game fish", I regret having done that (even if it was many years ago).

Anyway, the point here is that CAG provides an educational service to the public about carp and carp angling. Without the support of its members, it will be a lot harder for CAG to continue that service in the future. Disregarding any personal benefits you may like as a CAG member (or benefits you feel you don't need if you haven't joined), keep in mind that CAG's public education on "carpy topics" are ultimately intended to help YOU by keeping carp around, and accessible for your enjoyment.

Although I only joined CAG about 5 years ago, in 2008, I've been fishing for carp nearly 55 years (I was about 14 when I caught my first one). I seldom participate in any CAG fishing events (except the FFF and an occasional local "fish-in"), and I've accumulated enough tackle in my 68 years that I don't need to order much from our vendors (so the discounts -- while nice -- aren't a big personal selling point).

But besides all the helpful and valuable information I've learned through the Forum, I've made a number of friends and met new fishing buddies. Without CAG, I would never have met most of those fine folks. Plus, there is one other huge incentive that encouraged for me to join.

CAG has given me a new perspective regarding carp fishing. Before joining, I was "one of those guys" who had been indoctrinated by certain outdoor writers and (supposed) fisheries experts who propagated and popularized the concepts that "carp are bad" and "carp should be eliminated". Although I always tried to never waste any resources, I admit to having killed a few carp (fortunately, just one or two) "just to take them home to show them off" (that was before digital cameras, and after all, I had been taught that "it's only a carp"). Since joining CAG and recognizing the value of carp as a fisheries resource and their potential as "game fish", I regret having done that (even if it was many years ago).

Anyway, the point here is that CAG provides an educational service to the public about carp and carp angling. Without the support of its members, it will be a lot harder for CAG to continue that service in the future. Disregarding any personal benefits you may like as a CAG member (or benefits you feel you don't need if you haven't joined), keep in mind that CAG's public education on "carpy topics" are ultimately intended to help YOU by keeping carp around, and accessible for your enjoyment.

Outstanding rationale for being a member, Barry. Thanks!

Let's keep in mind, also, that it's just fishing. If membership in CAG enriches that experience, great. If not, it's your choice not to join. A carp fishing organization, like the world, is not a utopia. There are those with whom we might consistently agree and those who might rub us the wrong way. There are those who like to share information and events with no agenda whatsoever and there are those who might be looking for a sale or self esteem or maybe just an argument. To each his own. It's just fishing. --Frank

Hello everyone.

New to the boards.

I figured this was as good a place as any to introduce myself.

I have fished for carp my entire life...even when it wasn't considered "what the cool kids are doing".

I'm 50 years old. I have always appreciated the fun of the fight from carp and I always turned them loose...even back in the day when my older sister's husband would tell me to "throw it up on the bank, it's a trash fish".

It's only been in the last couple of years that I have gotten into the Euro style fishing with "carp rods", bank sticks and bite alarms. I always chummed for them...I didn't need a lecture or seminar on how to attract fish and get them to bite. This seemed logical to me...always has.

I may join up...probably for the discounts more than anything. I just don't take it quite as serious as some folks do.

I am a multi-species angler. I don't decide what my target species is going to be till...honestly...when I am about to load the suv up. I fish for smallmouth, trout, musky, catfish...sometimes bluegill, sunfish and crappie. I have even been known to spend time on the white bass and sauger runs.

I will probably never enter a tournament...and definitely not a multi day tournament. I will probably never own a "Bivvy" or a "Brolly" or a bed chair.

But...I appreciate the sport and those that enjoy it as well.

I know there has been lots and lots of talk over the years of carp fishing becoming big here like in Europe...while I do think it is possible...I do not think it is likely (though I used to). The big bass, musky and trout manufacturers are not going to let that happen. This is big business...they will not go quietly into that good night over a carp.

I have most of the "basics" I'll ever need, but there are a few things I kinda just "want"...I may join up just to catch that discount.

Well, that about wraps it up. Thanks for an interesting and informative site.

Joe S.

Welcome to CAG thanks for joining paying member or not. It is great to have new people come in to see more perspectives. I once said the same about tournaments and chairs and all but i ended up giving in and i have won most of the stuff that i wouldnt of bought myself. Not saying itll happen to you. Have you been to any fish in around you