A few from South Gloucestershire ( pronounced Glostershir ) :D

Munter - big fish

Flat Pack Carper - a noddy who turns up with a load of new carp kit

Doughnut - idiot

Lush - very nice

Gert lush - realy, realy nice

Scrumpy - strong cider

Snakebite - lager/cider mix

could someone tell me what a hooklength is?? are we talking the leader? thank you.

Carpinator -

Hooklength is what Americans commonly call the leader. For example, in a packet of Eagle Claw snelled hooks, the "hook length" is the 8 to 10 inches of mono tied to each hook.

The word "leader" is often used in the UK to mean "shock leader" or "snag leader." These are usually 15 to 30 ft in length and are used to keep heavy weights from breaking off on the cast or to provide extra abraision resistance over the last few feet without resorting to heavy line on the reel. Heavy lines cause loss of casting distance on spinning reels.

Guest Pyroman

The next time I hear a Brit say we murder the English language I'll refer

to those terms. And let me add one: "Me at" means my hat in proper

English or as some down south here say "In American "

:D:D:D

Guest Hubbo

Noddy= Match angler, some one who fishes competitians to see how many fish they can catch within a set time and by set rules, for a cash prize.

Slab, snotty = a fish called a bream that has a liking for carp bait and is quite slimey, hense the term snotty.

A flyer = a peg or swim that is known to produce fish regulary

Line aligner = an extension of the hook made from shrink tubing. It aligns the point of the hook to the exit point of the line from the hook, making the hook turn quicker in the carps mouth.

Noddy= Match angler, some one who fishes competitians to see how many fish they can catch within a set time and by set rules, for a cash prize.

Hubbo

As an ex-1st Division match angler who has probably forgotten more about all types of fishing, than you will ever know. I will inform you that the term "Noddy" was originally used in the late seventies and early eighties for guys who sat at a lake for days on end catching nowt!! I.E. Carp Anglers.

I find it amusing that you have decided that you would turn this round to now mean match anglers.. Dream on Mate!!!!!!!!!!

Karl :D

P.S. For your information "snotties' were always eels (way before carp anglers had their own baits!!) 2 out of 4 wrong!! not doing to well are we???

Guest coolbig2

Ive heard many Brits say, 'taking the piss.' what does it mean? Im think going into the water with the fish or it could mean what it implies.

Guest The Rodmaker

I believe it means taking the joke, being picked on, guys ribbing on you, etc. In other words, if you set the hook and fall over, your buds will remind you about it until you are 6 feet under and probably would even mention it in your Eulogy! Yes/no?

The Rodmaker

Guest paul

nice one guy's you really cracked me up with these :D

or/ that was great guy's very funny :D .

the lid = surface fishing .

sexy = great looking water (lake normally )

shagged = see knackered :D .

sussing out a water = having a good look at a lake or river .

spunky = thats rather nice :D

a score = £20 =$35 ish :D

cream crackered = see knackered .

more from sunny england in the near future :D

Guest stoatie

Dont forget guys there a plethera of more sayings that totally confuse you septics !

Like this lake is right pony !

or its right pukka !

For instance "I've gotta go to the jodrel to get me some milky bars as I'm a bit 3ft 6 before I go to the rub to have a few swahlies".

I plain english.... I need to go to the bank and get some money as I'm a bit short before I go to the pub to have a few beers..... SIMPLE and totally Crystal.

Guest Sodbury Steve

Reminds me of the Python RAF sketch :D

Squadron Leader

Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Bovril

Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, squadron leader.

Squadron Leader

It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite right in the how's yer father ... hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Wingco

Sorry old man, we don't understand your banter.

Pilot

You know ... bally ten-penny ones dropping in the custard ... (searching for the words) um ... Charlie Choppers chucking a handful ...

Wingco

No, no ... sorry.

Bovril

Say it a bit slower, old chap.

Pilot

Slower banter, sir?

Wingco

Ra-ther!

Pilot

Um ... sausage squad up the blue end!

Squadron Leader

No, still don't get it.

Pilot

Um ... cabbage crates coming over the briny?

I must get out more....

"Karl

He's a great bankside cook as well his Ruby Murray is to die for

John"

Saw this in the dave lane thread and was curious Looked it up ruby murray was a famous irish singer and for some reason and im not sure (maybe john or karl can explain the origins) ruby murray is slang for a curry.

Guest Carp Fever

Mark

It's cockney rhyming slang. If you say Ruby Murray it rhymes with curry.

Just the crazy English in me. :D:D

John

Guest stoatie

Being part cockney all that pony is right easy to understand.

Gefilta yep you cant beat a belting ruby, when ya totally brahms,that burns ya khyber the next day when sat on the john having a king richard, cheese and rice. Well I'm going stop having a darby and go and have a gypsies and then a nice hot cuppa rosie.

Catch ya all later.

translated just for those that dont twig it.

(gefilta yep ya cant beat a belting CURRY, when ya totally PISSED, that burns ya ARSE, when sat on the TOILET having a TURD, JESUS CHRIST. Wel I'm going to stop having a MOAN and go and have a PISS and then a nice hot cup of TEA)

Guest Carp Fever

Talking about a curry it was Rod Hutchinson that said " Hot when it goes in and a bloody site hotter when it comes out" Thats what makes a good Ruby.

John

Guest KrisKarp

Conrad,

Just a couple of minor corrections.

Git: is actually a derivitive and abreviation of illegitimate, so your old git becomes an old b*****d!

Tap: (tup) Is used in both Welsh and Scottish. Tup actually meaning a male sheep (ram). In slang terms the meaning being mental or slightly crazy!

Karl,

Since the 60's Noddies were always the match/pleasure fishermen who were happy catching anything but especially loads of tiny livebait size fish. And who when catching ANY carp was always a 20 pounder although they never had scales to weigh them on! :D:D

Karl,

Since the 60's Noddies were always the match/pleasure fishermen who were happy catching anything but especially loads of tiny livebait size fish. And who when catching ANY carp was always a 20 pounder although they never had scales to weigh them on! :D  :D

Kris

Only in YOUR dreams mate!!! :D:D:D

How many matches you been to where they didn't have scales? :D

Karl :D

Guest Newt

The times I get really confused are when the US and UK stuff have the same name but aren't the same at all.

I first ran head long into it when reading on a UK forum about someone catching a bream of around 12-13lbs. Since I was sure the world's record was under 6lbs, I asked about it. The UK bream IS NOT a sunfish. Oops.

Then there is the thing with numbers. Will a UK person please write the following in numbers with the proper punctuation:

one million

one billion

one trillion

Measurements can be a little strange too. 1 UK gallon = 1.2 US gallons

Guest Hubbo

Ukcarperintheusa the term NODDY might may well originate from were you have said, but the term like many in the English language has many meanings but i can assure you as i still fish in the UK and frequent UK carp sites we do refer to match anglers as noddies, so i'll address you as UKNODDYINTHEUSA from now on. Any way don't you think you sad Noddies look a lot like noddy in those bright multi coloured overalls. Sad barstools.

Your telling me that poeple in the UK don't call Bream 'snotties', you must be going senile in your old age mate. Eels are snotty but i've never heard them called snotties before, and i do fish every week in the UK unlike some, o.k. maybe they did in the stoneage mate.

Eels=snakes.

Guest limestone

For Newt-

1 million = 1,000,000

1 billion = 1,000,000,000 = 1 thousand million (it used to be one million million, but we changed to fit in with you guys)

1 trillion = one thousand billion = 1,000,000,000,000 (what we used to call a billion)

If you want to be really confused, type 'define: trillion' into Google. :D

See also: Trillian - character in the funniest book ever written. (HHGTTG)