Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Carpaholic

Begining Carp Fishing

Hi again -

I know hair rigs are not exactly "beginning" level topics, but if anybody wants to try one for the first time, the most difficult thing to find is often a baiting needle.  Well, here is a cheap way to make your own.

First, find a bendable fishing hook.  Often a wire Crappie hook will work.  Make sure it is a barbed hook.

Next, straighten out the hook.

Fiinally tape, glue, or tie the the shank and eye of the hook onto a pencil or stick that will serve as a handle.

Presto! you have now created a baiting needle than can be used to impale baits and then slide them onto the hair.  Just hook the loop at the end of the hair under the barb and slide the bait from the baiting needle and onto the hair.  To keep it from sliding off, insert a small peice of rubber band, a bit of grass, or any thing else that can keep the bait from sliding off.

Best of luck,

Brian "Carpaholic" Nordberg

macfish here. Another thing I have used as a cheap bait stop (something to keep the bait from coming off of the hair) is a toothpick. I buy the cheapest ones I can find, insert them through the hair after the bait is on the hair and then break them off to keep them just a little bit shorter than the width of the boilie/bait. They are often easier to use than many commercially purchased bait stops. The only time I have had much trouble with them is when the bait I was using had a tendency to move up the hair away from the bait loop. It seems like toothpicks work best with very short hairs which are relatively close to the bottom of the hook. I'll see if I can take a few pictures to better illustrate this. Jonathan

Edited by macfish

Guest Eric Ridenour

I use plastic zip ties , just cut them off into sections. works great , i get the clear ones , walmart sell's them 1000 for like 2$ heck I have a life time supply! :D

When I first started carp fishing , it began with using a 6ft rod with 8lb mono, lots of wonderbread and sometime sweetcorn on a hook. I made a really bad hair rig also, first I would make the hair from the bottom of the hook using mono, putting on breadballs. My baiting needle was a paper clip and my bait stoppers were small twigs. It did catch carp tho!

Guest AnthonyR

When I first started, I actually used a bass bobber to suspend the corn in the water. I then realized that carp eat off the bottom, dumped the bobber, and began catching

hi

thanks for these info about beginers ( like me ) :D:D:D

and i wish if i can talke to you through messenger hotmail or aol

:D:D <_<

and one qoustion there is a lake with big carp in it but it dosnt feed . plz can you tell me what to do ? what use for baiting ??

for e_mailing me : anoscoo2200@hotmail.com

anoscoo2009@aol.com

Guest AnthonyR

Well first off, Carp don't grow "big" without eating. You can try to find what they are eating in the wild (crayfish, berries, insects, algae) or just stick to baits like bread and corn, and get them used to it by starting a chumming campaign.

Guest AnthonyR

If its a wild lake, and you're not getting them on bread or corn(and you've really tried), I wouldnt have to much faith in any of those fancy bait recipes.

Give us some more details. What kind of rig are you using, how long are you fishing etc, etc, etc

hi

its wild lake

i use th usall rig 2 cm long

and eagle hooks no 5

and i tried float bait

sinking

worms

dugph balls

tomato past

beer

you said use(crayfish, berries, insects, algae) where i can fined them

i am fishing since 10 monthes

many recipces

thats it

Edited by anoscoo2200

Guest AnthonyR

Do you chum? If not, pick up some sweetcorn and throw it where you are going to fish. Hook a few kernals and fish it over this pile of chum. Just be patient, carp can take a while to start eating

Guest Mountian Man

Brian that is how i started about 5 year go with some good ol' wally world $20 poles with 40 lb test and some egg sinkers and hooks with some corn out of a can. From the Redneck Mountian Man

Brian, have your figured out how to post pics yet? lol

Chad

My first encounter was very recently, I was fishing for channels in a small lake in weatherford ,tx using small pieces of hot dogs, the bite was pretty steady but soon slowed down to a crawl, i had notices that the tip of my rod was bouncing in a unfamiliar fashion so I went pole in hand to see what was going on, I decided to go ahead and set the hook expecting a small channel was messing with me but to my surprise my pole doubled over like all heck was breaking loose, my heart started to pound and this fish ran me up and down this little barge I was fishing on, when I finally got him to the surface there was a 10.5 lb common. After that moment I was hooked on carp fishing.

I still rig with basic settups but in time I will learn the fancy rigs you guys use on here. :rolleyes:

My first encounter was very recently, I was fishing for channels in a small lake in weatherford ,tx using small pieces of hot dogs, the bite was pretty steady but soon slowed down to a crawl, i had notices that the tip of my rod was bouncing in a unfamiliar fashion so I went pole in hand to see what was going on, I decided to go ahead and set the hook expecting a small channel was messing with me but to my surprise my pole doubled over like all heck was breaking loose, my heart started to pound and this fish ran me up and down this little barge I was fishing on, when I finally got him to the surface there was a 10.5 lb common. After that moment I was hooked on carp fishing.

I still rig with basic settups but in time I will learn the fancy rigs you guys use on here. :rolleyes:

Stephen -- welcome to the World of the best fighting fish you'll find (pound for pound) anywhere!! Forget the fancy rigs for now, -- just enjoy your new found challenge and use as simple a rigs as is possible. The complicated stuff isn't needed when starting out, and will just confuse things. Keep asking questions here about how to get going, -- and you won't go far wrong :yourock:

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Stephen -- welcome to the World of the best fighting fish you'll find (pound for pound) anywhere!! Forget the fancy rigs for now, -- just enjoy your new found challenge and use as simple a rigs as is possible. The complicated stuff isn't needed when starting out, and will just confuse things. Keep asking questions here about how to get going, -- and you won't go far wrong :rolleyes:

Tight Lines,

Brid.

thanks for the warm welcome

A well written introduction to carp fishing; it's also good to see that carp are becoming an increasingly popular sport fish quarry in the US, thanks to sites such as the carp anglers group.

Nice post,

iam very new to carp fishing, i dont know where my head has been over the years but two weeks ago i had the best fight in years landing a 2 foot carp in a local fishing spot and was totally amazed and from that day on i been looking for anything that deals with carp. iam going to be the biggest pain in the butt cause i have lots to learn and i hope someone is teaching hehehehe!

Edited by William Sr

Nice post,

iam very new to carp fishing, i dont know where my head has been over the years but two weeks ago i had the best fight in years landing a 2 foot carp in a local fishing spot and was totally amazed and from that day on i been looking for anything that deals with carp. iam going to be the biggest pain in the butt cause i have lots to learn and i hope someone is teaching hehehehe!

Hi William

Carp fishing's addictive to say the least and, as you know, they'll fight you all the way to the landing net! As your still reasonably new to the sport and reading up on the subject, check out piscandi.com It's an informative introduction to aspects of successful carp fishing, with tips and advice on carp fishing tackle, watercraft, effective carp fishing techniques, baits and carp fishing resources.

Tight Lines!

Edited by adams_dream

Thanks for the info, i will check out the site.

Yeah, I'm like William, not too much experience from this previous and still catfish angler, my friend who's big into carp fishing introduced me and well, the fight got me hooked. At the moment my biggest mirror is bigger than my biggest common haha. I still just use my smaller catfish stuff for carp, still haven't gotten the chance to get these carp specific rods and reels with college coming up. Any tips for baiting rivers vs. lakes vs. tidal basins are welcome!

I have been carping for as long as I could remember.  When were kids, a buddy of mine lived next to a big river (the Ohio) and we could go there and fish all the time.

I can remember catching tons of carp on home made dough bait....just a simple dough ad vanilla extract added...worked like a charm.

We didn't catc many big fish but we sure had a lot of fun.

fast forward to today and I am still a carp fan.  There is nothing quite like a big carp run on light tackle.  I do have some European rods now coupled with Penn reels and I love it.

I would venture a guess that more than half of my fishing time is dedicated to carp.  I do chase trout in the spring and catfish here and there...plus fishing for bluegills for bait is always fun too.  But big carp is the one species I prob focus most of my time on...and it is truly rewarding.