Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

carpaholic316

fly patterns

Love the "prize bud" fly on the top right side of that link too, :D lmao

that bud fly is classic. LOL

Guest Eric Kol

Mario,

Looks like what would happen if Oliver Edwards tied carp flys. Holy smokes! Did you tie those? Very nice looking flys. If I ever get to a fish in where tons of folks have been baiting the area, I'll be sure to make some boillie flys!

Guest Eric Kol

Here is a pattern I've had a TON of luck with. I call it a Carp Bitter, but it is just a modified Pop's Bonefish Bitter (Craig Mathews pattern).

These are on a TMC 2302 sz 10 hook.

Head: orange 6/0 thread, small bead chain eyes and five minute epoxy with orange food color

Thread: 8/0 brown

Legs: brown silly legs (or spinner bait skirt works great)

Under Wing: Brown antron yarn

Overwing: Natural deer hair

Pretty easy tie, but the epoxy is a pain. I have used a hot glue head in the past and it works fine, I just like the color and sheen of the epoxy. This is a good fly to do a dozen or more at a time. You can also make up a bunch of blanks (just the head) and have 'em sitting around awaiting inspiration.

Rust and brown works great for this fly, but I have some in red and some in a more yellow gold. I also use a white/speckled white leg sometimes. This fly rides hook point up so it is great for fishing right on the bottom. The deer hair also helps to hide the hook point. I suppose it makes sence that this is a kick butt bonefish and permit fly.....but the carp like it plenty. It has a general crustacean look to it, but nothing realy specific.

bittergroup.jpg

bitteratvise.jpg

Guest zonker

Here's a link to a YouTube video for tying a bonefish bitter using fabric paint. Eric's epoxy head is a great modification.

028oy6.jpg

Rubber Legged Copper John

hook: size 10 Tiemco 3769 or other 2x heavy nymph hook

thread: 6/0 UNI, black

head: black bead, 5/32”

wingcase: flashback (mylar or other wing material), pearl

thorax: peacock herl

legs: silicone grizzly legs, silver peacock

body: Ultra Wire black, large

tail: goose biot, black

Place bead on hook and wrap thread to hook bend. Tie in two goose biots for the tail. Tie in the wire for the body. Wrap thread forward over the tag end of the wire and goose biots to midway across the hook shank. Wrap wire around the hook, 2/3 of the length, building up a tapered body. Tie off and trim. Cut the flashback material in a 1/8” wide strip. Tie in. Tie in a sili leg on each side of the hook shank at the thorax. Tie in a couple strands of peacock herl. Wrap thread to beadhead. Palmer the herl to the beadhead, building a thorax, tie off and trim. Fold the flashback forward, tie off and trim. Whip finish behind the beadhead and epoxy the threads and wingcase.

Fish the fly like a standard nymph. This should be a deadly roughfish fly with the sili legs.

Edited by 9weight

Here's the recipe for my swap fly:

025jf5.jpg

Brown Antron Special

hook: size 10-16 Tiemco 2457 or other 2x heavy scud hook

thread: 6/0 UNI, dark brown

head: black or copper bead

thorax: antron yarn, brown stone

legs: antron yarn, brown stone

body: antron yarn, brown stone

rib: Ultra Wire gold, medium

tail: antron yarn, brown stone

Place bead on hook and wrap thread to hook bend. Tie in 3" of antron yarn, leaving the length of fibers about one-half of hook length as the tail. Tie in wire rib and wrap thread forward, a few eye lengths behind the eye. Wrap (palmer)the antron yarn around the hook, 2/3 of the length, building up a tapered body. Tie in and leave tag end on bottom of hook. Wrap rib in the opposite direction that you wrapped the antron body, cut. Cut 1/8" wide strip of flashback, and tie in as a wingcase. Wrap the existing tag end of yarn forward to behind the beadhead, building a thorax. Tie off and trim. Tie in a small piece of yarn on each side of the hook shank behind the bead head, forming the legs, about 2/3 of a hook length. Tie off and trim. Fold the wingcase forward, tie off and trim. Whip finish behind the beadhead and epoxy the threads and wingcase.

This is a designed carp fly but could be used for just about any fish species willing to take a fly. Fish this like a standard heavy nymph.

Edited by 9weight

One more....

buffalosoljahgd5.jpg

Buffalo Soljah

thread: 6/0 UNI, dark brown

head: copper bead, 5/32”

legs: pheasant tail

body :pheasant tail

rib: Ultra Wire red, medium

tail: pheasant tail

Place bead on hook and wrap thread to hook bend. Tie in 5 or 6 pheasant tail fibers for the tail, leaving the length of fibers about one hook length. Tie in the wire rib. Wrap thread forward over the tag end of the wire to midway across the hook shank. Wrap (palmer) the PT fibers along the hook shank, tie off and trim. Wrap the wire rib in the opposite direction that you wrapped the PT fibers, tie off and trim. Cut the flashback material in a 1/8” wide strip. Tie in. Tie in three or four peacock herls and wrap thread to beadhead. Palmer the peacock herls to the beadhead, tie off and trim. Tie in 4 or 5 PT fibers on each side of the thorax behind the beadhead, length at about one hook length. Fold the flashback forward, tie off and trim. Whip finish behind the beadhead and epoxy the threads and wingcase.

Fish the fly slowly along current seams, riffles, or backwater sloughs for suckers, redhorse, carp, or buffalo. This fly also works for catching panfish and trout.

Tight Lines!

Guest Eric Kol

Zonker, Thanks for the link. Very cool. I've done 'em with hot glue too, but never fabric paint. I'll have to give it a whirl.

9weight, nice nymph (nicely tied). Love the copper jonh!

Guest Eric Kol

here's a how to and recipie for the Carp Bitter. It's really easy, so if the how to is too basic forgive me.

Hook: TMC 200r, 2302, 2312 (shown) sz 6-10

Eyes: bead chain (small or medium) medium shown

Head: five minute epoxy and orange food coloring (if you have an epoxy drying whell use a longer setting epoxy)

Thread: orange 6/0 for eyes, 6/0-8/0 uni brown for fly

Legs: brown silly legs, spinner bait skirt or equivalent....brown, rust, white with speckles

underwing: rust, brown antron yarn (or color to match)

overwing: natural deer hair (shown) or colored to match

step one, tie in bead chain eyes w/ figure eights on top of hook shank. cement wraps.

bitterstep1.jpg

step two, using five minute epoxy, mix one very small drop with resin and stir well untill color is even. In the picture it is not even and needs more mixing. It will get like warm syrup when it's ready to apply.

bitterstep2.jpg

bitterstep3.jpg

You can push the fly hook point into a pencil eraser, or I use a metal rod with a magnet to hold the hook upright. Slowly rotate the fly in your hands and apply small amounts of epoxy in front of the bead chanin and then behind it with a tooth pick. keep rotation the fly at all times! add small amounts untill the whole beadchain is coated. You will want to pay attention to the fore and aft orientation too, as you don't want the epoxy to droop over the hook eye. Once you do two or three it gets very easy. Overall you just want a symetrical head. put on less epoxy than you think you need! It is easy to get too big of an epoxy build up. Don't stop rotating untill the epoxy sets up.

here are some "blanks" showing sizes of hooks and heads with assorted colors.

bitterstep4.jpg

step three, put the hook back in the vise upsidedown, start thread and tie in two strands of silly legs accross the hook. bind them as shown.

bitterstep5.jpg

step four, tie in antron under wing as shown.

bitterstep6.jpg

step five, clean out a bundle of natural deer hair about the size of a fat pencil and put in stacker to even tips. Bind down with two loose wraps and make sure the hair is on top of the hook and not flairing over the sides too much before securing tightly with more wraps. Wrap a couple through the BUTT section and then behind the butts. whip finish or add half hitches between the head and the flared butt section.

bitterstep7.jpg

step six, clip butts evenly and add cement to underside and top of wraps.

bitterstep8.jpg

That's pretty much it. I really like the TMC 2312 hook alot for this. It's a 2x long shank. The first ones I tied were on regular nymph hooks...they worked great...but I like the enlongated profile of this. You can also play with the leg placement on this. I have been tying in four legs (2 strands of rubber) angled to the rear, but in the past I have also tied in two more right at the point where the epoxy head is.

here are a few types I have lying around, some are hot glue gun heads. Some have rabbit overwing and one has fox overwing. I love this for sight fishing to active fish.

bitterstep9.jpg

Guest zonker

Great tutorial, Eric. I'm picking up some 5 minute epoxy tomorrow and plan to put it to good use.

darthnymphslightdorsalqu4.jpg

Eclipse Nymph

thread: 6/0 UNI, black

head: black bead, 5/32”

legs: pheasant tail, black

body :pheasant tail, black

rib: Ultra Wire black, medium

tail: pheasant tail, black

Place bead on hook and wrap thread to hook bend. Tie in seven or eight pheasant tail fibers for the tail, leaving the length of fibers about one hook length. Tie in the wire rib. Wrap thread forward over the tag end of the wire to midway across the hook shank. Wrap (palmer) the PT fibers along the hook shank, tie off and trim. Wrap the wire rib in the opposite direction that you wrapped the PT fibers, tie off and trim. Cut the flashback material in a 1/8” wide strip. Tie in. Tie in two or three peacock herls and wrap thread to beadhead. Palmer the peacock herls to the beadhead, tie off and trim. Tie in a small bunch of PT fibers on each side of the thorax behind the beadhead, length at about one hook length. Fold the flashback forward, tie off and trim. Whip finish behind the beadhead and epoxy the threads and wingcase.

The PT fibers on the dyed black tails seem to be finer than those on a regular tail. You may need to double the amount of fibers added to the die, to give the desired look and appearance for the tails and wings. Fish this in rocky riffles like a little black stonefly, or traditionally like a mayfly nymph.

Cool flies everybody, very cool.

Eric, I tie a fair number of Clouser Minnows and tube flies. I epoxy the heads and use a fly and jig rotator to dry them. Here's the URL to the manufacturer, NuWave Tackle. Just a thought on a way to make drying the blanks an easier task.

http://www.nuwavetackle.com/

Guest The_Carp_Hunter
the boilie fly is cool but how would you even fish that? cast and wait?

Scott, since almost all my flyfishing for carp is sight casting, y just cast the Boillie fly ahead of the fish and wiat for it to take it, that same technique applies with pellets and maize hehehe

There are times when carp are feeding really strong on the surface taking anything tha falls into the water, then I just cast the maize or pellet fly and let it sit.

Xavier

Guest carpmanjake

good idea wendy! i have plenty to add on here. and it will be very helpfull to many. i am pretty sure the admin or mods have to do that.

As the Fly Fishing Director I had to see if I could pin a thread and how to do it. I just pinned it.

The thread is a great resource and I'm sure we'll keep adding to it in the weeks and months to come.

Some of us put pictures and dressing instructions in the fly swap thread but not in this thread. How about if those of us who did that add our pattern to this thread?

I have tied this fly in varying sizes and on a couple different hooks. The ones I am sending are on Tiemco 3769 sizes 8 and 10. I have tied this fly on Tiemco 5262 size 6 and 8 also. The two I am sending I use primarily in the margins of the Columbia where the fish are in such shallow water their tails are visible for a hundred yards. I have weighted it with a bead, with dumbbells, and with lead wire. I like the lead wire the least and have pretty much stopped using it. The small ones I am sending make almost no splash.

Tiemco 3769 sizes 6-10

Tiemco 5262 sizes 6-8

Body: Orange yarn wrapped tightly

Hackle: Yellow Pheasant Rump

I don't have one "go to" fly. I put this fly in my top six Carp flies. Enjoy.

post-1006-1206801786.jpg

Guest Lee Baermann

One of my favorites is a baggy grub. The head is a 5/32 black tungsten bead and the body is zip lock baggy wrapped around the hook shank. My other go to is a clouser swimming nymph in dark colors.

post-4302-1224625727.jpg

I don't fly fish for carp much, but when the trout fishing is slow and I see some tailing carp, this is my go-to fly. Just a bit of coarse black stonefly dubbing, turkey biots, saddle hackle for the legs, lead body, and swiss straw for the wing case. I tie this on a size 10 or 12 long shank nymph hook.

post-3744-1224705605.jpg

Edited by dave1432

Guest PbSlinger

Carp Toad which is simply a bastardization of a friend of mine's fly.....

DSC00326.jpg

Easy to see, easy to cast, can make it light or heavy and realy lays it down!!!!