Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

carpaholic316

fly patterns

How about a book on the order of Gary Souchie's "Woolly Wisdom" with reader presented carp flies, all proven in use, with tying instructions and explanations on the use of them, subdivided into catagories? I feel this long overdue.

Gregg

Edited by Gregg Martin

Guest BCLT

this is a killer thread! love it and cant stop reading it - just ordered some custom flies from the states, and picking up a new vice over the holidays, cant wait to land my first common on the fly! thanks to all of you for sharing all this great info!

this is a killer thread! love it and cant stop reading it - just ordered some custom flies from the states, and picking up a new vice over the holidays, cant wait to land my first common on the fly! thanks to all of you for sharing all this great info!

These are my favorite proven patterns unless noted otherwise. I tie many carp flies and some have simply not been used often enough to show their merit. 1.) "Gregg's Carp Bugger", my best hook-up tie, 2.) Egg Patterns, sizes 2-10, sizes 6 and 10 used most, and this has become my go-to carp fly, 3.) Bread Flies, size 4 these, fished SUNK 4"-14" under an indicator in a local pond when people are feeding geese and ducks, 4.) My rendition of "Barry's Worm Cluster, tan size 8, with an experimental worm cluster and others in a box. My redition of "Gartside's Sparrow" size 8, mentioned by others, this is mine for carp.

Greggpost-6460-0-37842200-1323999645_thumb.jppost-6460-0-27907100-1323999762_thumb.jppost-6460-0-01388800-1324000116_thumb.jppost-6460-0-12080000-1324000201_thumb.jppost-6460-0-03877800-1324000320_thumb.jppost-6460-0-54400900-1324000535_thumb.jppost-6460-0-12080000-1324000201_thumb.jppost-6460-0-54400900-1324000535_thumb.jppost-6460-0-54848400-1324000605_thumb.jp

This began as a search for a new carp fly to catch very jaded fish in a local hard fished pond. My on line quest accomplished that and gave me many new ideas and created friends as well. To clarify my post above I'd like to further discuss flies pictured and additional patterns, both proven and yet to be. Yesterday, I lost 3 hours of writing and editing somehow, so let me try just a sample. If more information is desired please email me.

Pictured flies: 1. "Greggs Carp Bugger", everybody seems to have a named bugger type fly. My old go-to until egg ties came into my life. My best hook up fly, tied with new age chenille in various colors, a rabbit tail with flash, sili legs, and a 3/16" bead plus lead with saddle hackle to match.

2. Egg Patterns, I use them in sizes 2-10 for carp, #6 used most followed by #10. They are not glo-bugs as they are of spun and packed yarns. This lets me mottle the colors and use yarns usually not thought of for egg tying. Plus, frankly, I can't tie the world's simplest fly. I use them for unseen fish over bubbles and muds with an indicator, and actually almost any situation. If interested, see Mr.P's Blog "Indicator Fishing Part II" where he kindly introduces me and my rationale for them.

Hopefully, more to come!

Gregg

post-6460-0-33208200-1324230883_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-72091900-1324230981_thumb.jp

I have learned that I type very slow, though it said my continuation was saved, I seemed to have lost another several hours work. So here goes again!

Flies cont:

3. Floating Egg, size 4 Mustad (M)3366, glo-bug yarn spun over a foam core, to use where I inch a hook up design in early spring cold waters with a full sink line, only now a fly to rise a short leader length above bottom. Un tested.

4 "Barry's Worm Cluster," sizes 6 and 8, typical scud hook with white bead chain eyes. Barry of "The Carp Crusades," This is the fly that fooled wary local carp, now a must have! Std. Vernille tied with loops and tail/ foward appendages.

5. San Juan Worm variations, sizes 6 mostly. Everybody uses the SJW so I carry them, but only a smaller tan one has caught carp, plus I enjoy just tying. If they don't magically produce a fish I replace them with an egg.

6. "McTage's Trouser Worm," size 6 egg hook and 8 scud style, with large bead chain eyes. My rendition, I use a foam piece glued to tail to lift it up a bit. Way too cool! My chances have been few and I've blown my casts, so it has yet to catch a carp, for me.

More to come I trust.

Gregg

post-6460-0-78817200-1324253110_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-45787100-1324253196_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-49561700-1324253312_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-64194600-1324253395_thumb.jp

My heart was in my throat! More carp flies humbly submitted.

7. "Clouser's Swimming Nymph, size 8, with 3/16" bead and sili-legs to have it ride hook up, per my carp bugger. Another fly that I take off if doesn't conjure up a fish, usually with a carp bugger.

8. "Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel Nymph," size 8 again designed to ride hook up. Dave's go-to in lake Michigan, mine have yet to catch a carp, and as usual, I'll replace them to quickly.

9. "Luke's Carp Candy," size 4 and 6 M3366. Jon Luke of "Northwest Flyfishing" magazine. My sons swear by these I give them in tan, me, just largemouth bass so far. Very sexy fly.

More later, Gregg

post-6460-0-61149200-1324254210_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-68405800-1324254296_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-31715700-1324254384_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-30131200-1324254468_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-29640300-1324254552_thumb.jp

Carp Flies continued.

10. "Beck's Super Bugger", size 8 TMC 3761 brown and 4 M3366 grizzly/tan/grey. Simply are carpy. Tedious to tie, though I'm willing to spend an hour on a good fly, though these take less time. Another bottom bouncer, I think would take goby eating Great Lakes carp. Largemouth bass approve, I've really not tossed these at carp that often, sighted rooting fish come by me less than I like.

12. Soft Hackles, sizes 8 and 10 TMC 3761, with a body of a beautiful ginger/yellow/orange/red mohair pulled off and wrapped in a dubbing loop, and one I think of ornage yarn. Tails of sm. centipede legs if present and hackle of golden pheasant flank. A distinqued pedigree by friends I've developed, but used so late in the season I caught only stocked trout in a favorite carp pond. An errata, the "Gartside's Sparrow" above was listed as proven, it is not on carp, thanks to those I consider my mentors I took them from my trout still water box and added them to a carp one.

13. "Matthew's Bonefish Biters", I may have forgotton them, size 4 M3366, not thrown at a carp, yet.

I've many more flies for carp, mostly variations on a theme, ie., up hook designs of various weights and colors/materials/sizes. The patterns others have shown on this thread have been enlightening also, and appreciated. I trust some of this information may aid someone else as well. Again, if you've a comment or question use the regular reply mode or feel free to email me, I love flies and carp!

Gregg

post-6460-0-16063500-1324313100_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-81420300-1324313233_thumb.jp

Thanks Mr.P.,

Have more with better pictures to submit. And better pictures of some of the above. However, if I have an angling goal this year it is to fish many of the flies that I normally don't keep on my leader that long. Except the egg, too indispensable.

Best, Gregg

"Fun Time" is a loony tune one of my grandkids' toys says if you bump it, the battery hasn't run out in 6 years. Yet a flash light's will when you need it. More fun tying than fishing lately. Working with some cool concepts. Sean Hudson's "Mud Bugs" from his site Unquenchable Curiousity is one to be aware of. See his blog for details of his tying and other neat patterns. I have taken this bug's simplicity to heart and am tying up several dozen for the months soon to come.

Mine:

Hook: M3366 #6 or any heavy scud hook, mine are Dai-Riki 135 #6.

Tail: I use a rubber or silicone leg to match body, shank length.

Body: a webby long saddle hackle, 2, same color or different, both tied in at tail and I wind forward separately.

Eyes: Large black bead chain.

Thread; I use 8/0 uni thread or anything 70 denier color of one hackle.

How to:

1. Tie down eye. Use super glue to help hold as you X wrap.

2. Tie in legs at a thread bump to split tail.

3. Tie in two 6-7" or longer hackles by the butts, concave facing rearward as you wrap, my method.

4. Severely wrap the hackles forward one at a time for a very bushy body, tie off at the eye, whip finish.

5. Pick out fibers with a needle, I then steam the fly to straighten the hackle.

6. Hackle cut-cut the bottom fibers, the hook rides upside down because of this, close to the eye and tapering at a slight angle to the butt. Apply head cement to knot.

Optional: Gently work in Knot Sense on bottom, makes an ugly but super durable fly.

I love this fly! Colors are what you decide, solid black for example, black and olive, dyed ginger variant, it's up to you.

Pictures to come.

More tying fun. Shown below are more "Mud Bug" options, plus a red/black with the hackle cut. My MB are usually in colors I believe that look like natural organisms, though I'm playing with the idea of using the colors I use in egg ties that work so well for me. I wish I had a yellow grizzly saddle to tie with, and a tan as well. Speaking of hackle, Sean uses feathers termed "Woolly Bugger" and so do I but have found that any saddle thet will tie a woolly bugger with feathers 5-7" and longer, with the length 1 1/4-1 1/2 the length of the gape of the hook works very well. I believe that if one desires a meaty fly that lands softly this is one to have.

Gregg

post-6460-0-38681200-1327256495_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-95958300-1327256640_thumb.jp

Tying better "Luke's Carp Candies." I have a goal to use flies that should work well for me longer than just to get them wet. My old reliable "Gregg's Carp Bugger" was my go-to hook up fly for years, still is, but it has it's faults. Some will ride what I term "Side Swimmer" which is unacceptable for a bottom bouncing fly. It has caught so many fish though I plug them out and hope the chosen fly rides correctly. A sentimental favorite as well. Now then, Jon Luke of Northwest FlyFishing magazine came out with his neat rabbit strip pattern designed for Columbia River Cruisers. That is one that I have tried but never kept it on long enough. No more, I'm going to use some new ones now that I've really put effort into tying well. They do ride hook up, every time. Yellow is a favorite color of mine so I used what I found and came up with a gold variation, also a tan fly and of course orange. They have similarities to flies I see from other tyers and commercial outlets but I found it first where I did.

What I use and how.

Hook: M3366 #6 and #4, pictured are sixes.

Thread: UTC 140 in colors to match top fly.

Body: I like a course dubbing in a split thread dubbing loop, "Awesome Possum" Golden Stone for gold, "Sow Scud" Big Horn Orange for orange, same in light tan for tan. As well, Davy Wotton's SLF with squirrel I use much as well as SLF "Spikey Dubbing".

Top/Wing: Regular Zonker Strip, color of body usually, punctured by hook and tied in at head past eyes, trimmed very close to start of body.

Legs: Many choices, Sili Legs, Centipede Legs, Span Flex and such to compliment color scheme. Rear are tied in first, fore are tied in foward of eyes and rabbit strip pulled and tied down over.

Eyes: 5/32 'Real Eyes painted or used with stick on inserts epoxied over.

One could add a hackle Back Stabber Style, but I have not done this.

Begin with eyes, tie in tail legs, dub a full body to eyes, and invert in vise. Add fore legs and zonker strip. Puncture strip so head will be the right lenghth to tie down. Do both. Tease out dubbing and trim tail/legs to taste, about 1"-1 1/2".

These just spell carp to me.

post-6460-0-81435900-1327258814_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-49346300-1327258907_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-18750200-1327259006_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-16548300-1327259100_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-58135200-1327259234_thumb.jp

Brian,

Cool flies! I take it you have fish freshwater crabs? And, if so, how do you present them? I see pop corn also, do you fish a lake people feed ducks at. Nice.

Gregg

Hi Gregg

The crab imitation I would present to a fish feeding in shallow water after a carefull stalk and try to get it as close to the head as possible. Then keep it still and wait for the fish to find it or maybe give it a slight twitch. When I'm gonna tie new ones I want to use some zonker hair for additional movement.

Here's a pattern I have been playin' with, its a modified version of the one I fished last year and I think it will work much better. this very same fly has been entered in the fly swap that Mctage has goin now ( http://www.flycarpin.com/ ) Trev has been a HUGE help to me in my fly carpin. I call this one the

Bug A Boo.

post-5185-0-63792700-1328021373_thumb.jp

post-5185-0-08591700-1328021385_thumb.jp

post-5185-0-10353500-1328021401_thumb.jp

Eric,

I have a hen pheasant skin that I have found very little use for. Ah, that spade tail on your fly and the markings on some of the feathers of that bird have my creative juices going. That tail is a simple way to help insure that a hook up fly does just that. I'll post my results when I wrap up some flies with that as an inspiration. You have some very noted tyers guiding you, keep it up

Gregg

Eric,

I have a hen pheasant skin that I have found very little use for. Ah, that spade tail on your fly and the markings on some of the feathers of that bird have my creative juices going. That tail is a simple way to help insure that a hook up fly does just that. I'll post my results when I wrap up some flies with that as an inspiration. You have some very noted tyers guiding you, keep it up

Gregg

Many thans greg. I hope you do well with your idea, please, if I may ask, post your findings, results etc . Id love to know how it turned out. Also, be sure to stop by my site/blog and share your flys, pics and so forth. http://www.bigezworld.com

thanks again for the positive notes! :)

Doggone Hillbilly that Bug A Boo fly looks nice. Hope they catch you some nice carp! :)

Doggone Hillbilly that Bug A Boo fly looks nice. Hope they catch you some nice carp! :)

thanks possum

It May seem pretentious to present a fly pattern that has not caught a carp but I am certain this will. Lately I've been playing with Sean Hudson's Mud Bug and found it well worth tying and trying. Though mine differs from his in some small ways, they are much the same. I did get to use some I tied in a local still water on the 3rd. Feb. and they performed very well, sinking tail up, hook up, and every one I tried was true to the prior in characteristics as it sank. Lately I've been talking clams with several friends and I decided to try to incorporate what was decided the trigger, the red foot, ala John Montana, with this style. And, to think of it, my son caught a local 15" rainbow he kept that had 2 fingernail sized freah water mussels in it! I do believe that every carp that noses down to feed sucks some up in Our Snake River as well. Considering how the Mud Bug reacts in the water I am sure this is going to be a winner, the red foot even a trigger for fish that see no clams. The instructions are much the same as my rendition of the Mud Bug above save that the tail is a "foot" now, of red vernille and rabbit applied in 1" section of the thread spit and twisted. I'd originally simply surrounded the vernille with red rabbit but using a dubbing loop was so much easier. I no longer coat the bottom with any adhesive as an option, uneeded. By the way, check out RoughFisher's clams!

Gregg

post-6460-0-95757100-1328649444_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-23207200-1328649534_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-31575900-1328649644_thumb.jp