Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

carpaholic316

fly patterns

It May seem pretentious to present a fly pattern that has not caught a carp but I am certain this will. Lately I've been playing with Sean Hudson's Mud Bug and found it well worth tying and trying. Though mine differs from his in some small ways, they are much the same. I did get to use some I tied in a local still water on the 3rd. Feb. and they performed very well, sinking tail up, hook up, and every one I tried was true to the prior in characteristics as it sank. Lately I've been talking clams with several friends and I decided to try to incorporate what was decided the trigger, the red foot, ala John Montana, with this style. And, to think of it, my son caught a local 15" rainbow he kept that had 2 fingernail sized freah water mussels in it! I do believe that every carp that noses down to feed sucks some up in Our Snake River as well. Considering how the Mud Bug reacts in the water I am sure this is going to be a winner, the red foot even a trigger for fish that see no clams. The instructions are much the same as my rendition of the Mud Bug above save that the tail is a "foot" now, of red vernille and rabbit applied in 1" section of the thread spit and twisted. I'd originally simply surrounded the vernille with red rabbit but using a dubbing loop was so much easier. I no longer coat the bottom with any adhesive as an option, uneeded. By the way, check out RoughFisher's clams!

Gregg

Very Slick gregg, Love that red..

Due to a recent injury I have far more time to tie than fish. After receiveing flies from Mctage's Fly Swap I began to try to broaden my horizens, tying with ideas gained from the very informative patterns I have gained.

One of the flies I began to tie for my own was a version of Nate Taylor's "Mellow Yellow" from his site Dirtbag Fly Fishing. My change was to use rabbit from a zonker strip for the tail, and different legs according to what I had. As well I am tying this design in different colors. Nate uses Free Range Dubbing from Singlebarbed, but I use Davy Wotton's SLF and Squirrel Blend, a course hares ear/mask with antron of my own and use these in split thread dubbing loop per Nate, except that I also do this for the head. My hackle is hen pheasant neck tied in by the tip, scissor folded, and wound. I tie these on Dai-Riki 810 hooks #6 with 5/32" Dazzle Eyes. My thread is UTC 140 ib a color to match the body.

Another was not from the swap, but from our own Mr. P. and his pattern the "Chocolate Cherry." Here again I used what I had but also incorporated an idea from Ed Story's great fly "The Crackleback," a fly every trout fisherman should have but few do here where I hail, and one of the few dries that I consider a must for carp. Simply a back of peacock herl overwrapped with the hackle. My legs were not white rubber as Mr.P's but Med. Tarantula Legs in Orange black-the best I could get to redish. The hook is a #10 Mustad R75S 9674 with 5/32" Dazzle Eyes again. Brown chenille body. I tied my materials past the eye except the hackle which I tied off behind the eye. It is too cool!

These are going to serve me well soon, I hope.

Gregg

post-6460-0-63324700-1330627607_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-10154400-1330627711_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-76298100-1330627804_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-32252200-1330627902_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-05312000-1330627997_thumb.jp

Another view of "The Chocolate Cherry" by me. Yet another done similarly but with dubbing of brown SLF/Squirrel, hackle of grizzly dyed orange tied in by the butt. Almost destroyed this one but too much time went into producing the fly and it grew on me.

Gregg

post-6460-0-38326400-1330628581_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-54934800-1330628662_thumb.jp

How I manage legs. I believe legs placed advantageously on a carp fly add to it's effectiveness much. This is a means I use to tame them while tying multiple materials. It was born of desparation and I'm quite sure others do the same. If not I hope this aids someone. Some tyers simply lasso the legs with the thread, I found this to be impracticle. I slip a piece of plastic tubing, slit so as to allow the thread to pass through, or a cut piece of a straw, around the hook and then corral the legs with it as I then wrap materials toward the bundled legs. I can gently pull single legs out as I procede. If hackle is wound after the body is constructed, the process is repeated. The sequence pictured is on a simple dubbed fly with a rabbit tail, saddle hackle, sili-legs with a bead chain head/eyes. Multiple legs may be managed in this fashion. If anyone has a better idea or a means done other wise I would love to hear of it.

Gregg

post-6460-0-62770000-1331065165_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-96086300-1331065252_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-55008700-1331065350_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-33389200-1331065438_thumb.jp

I finally found you guys over here, very nice resouce for Carp fishing!

Gregg, Nice flies. I like how you manage leggs, thats a new one. I do some with 6 legs...what helps me is pulling the first set forward to the eyes and wraping with two lose wraps of thread, then I pull forward the next set and wrap twice, then the next set. I use a dubbing loop so i dont need my thread at the back of the fly. I start the dubbing loop forward and release the sets one at a time as I want them. Its almost always trouble to get them the way you want.

Black-Ops-Creeper-Carp-Fly-15-640x426.jpg

Simple Crayfish are a Staple fly...for both common and Grass Carp

Rough-Dub-Carp-Craw-586x390.jpg

More Simple Crayfish

The "Black Ops" is another staple for both grass and commons. This takes every species on my creek. I had one day with 8 species on this fly...gar, catfish, grass carp, common carp, hybrids, sunfish, and a suager, and...something else a largemouth or a drum. My go to fly when the mulberrys are dropping(floaters are not as productive)....takes grass, common, and catfish.

IMG_7751-1024x768.jpg

one random

Carp-Flies-from-Missouriflies-18-586x390.jpg

I've more or less got a catalog of flies for those interested in viewing more.

Edited by Missouri

Hi Chris,

If you tell me nice flies I am flattered. I will try your method with the tying thread. I too use a dubbing loop, preferably with a split thread, but that would not work your way unless I had another bobbin tie off as I do my zonkers. I'm glad you found us!

Gregg

Recently I have been attempting to develope upon Sean Hudson's Mud Bugger (I'd accidently termed it Mud Mug,) Clam series of mine and Wendy Berrell's LOD, both of which I recieved in McTage's carp swap. That clam derivation with hackle was my take off point, with a desire to have an LOD type fly with the peacock herl on top with the hook riding that way as well. So came the muskrat fur. At first with the Clam I simply substituted muskrat in a split dubbing loop and trimmed it flat as per hackle. As Sean suggested the muskrat wasn't stiff enough to turn the hook up. So, I flatenned a piece of .030 lead with my Leatherman and tied it on the eventual bottom of the heavy Dai Riki #6 135 hook and wonders of wonders the fly rode perfectly hook up with tons of movement. Does it resemble a clam? The carp can take it for what they choose, but that red foot is still there. The Legion of Doom was/is a cool fly but I see the flies wonderful peacock herl buried when sitting on the bottom. So using a Dai Riki #6 810 (eqiv. to M3366) and 5/32" dazzle eyes I tied a fly of split legs, top of peacock herl, body of muskrat in a split thread dubbing loop and a rib of red or copper wire with the fur trimmed flat I had a fly that rode upside down with that wonderful peacock on top. Later I added the keel of .030 wire but the initial several were fine. Then a tail of rootbeer marabou was added to more. These ought to do well, they all ride correctly thus far.

Having fun, Gregg

post-6460-0-94794200-1332637626_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-86653500-1332637718_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-53460300-1332637800_thumb.jp

Had some blanks from tying Craig Matthew's Bonefish Bitters and thought I'd try to use them in a different fashion. Using a Dai Riki 810 #6 or Mustad 3366 #6 and still the Dai Riki 280 in #8 I tied a morphed version of a wooly bugger. They have a weight of 7 wraps of .020 lead behind the head, a tail of marabou or rabbit cut from a zonker strip with legs on either side, a dubbed body of squirrel and SLF blend and the saddle hackle is wrapped from he head and anchored with small copper wire. They are so slinky! So far only largemouth bass have been taken with them, not many, none actually, presented to carp but I hope that chance comes next trip.

Gregg

post-6460-0-66183600-1342200017_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-63725300-1342200093_thumb.jp

post-6460-0-23382500-1342200145_thumb.jp

I have had luck with Bumblebee and YarnEgg Glow Bugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsoVN0rG70&list=PLstT-eki-HOco0yTYegwLjvYIiFoBw-ds&index=17

When they are gulping on the surface there is no greater thrill than getting tied in with a brute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALkJMEF_a4&list=PLstT-eki-HOco0yTYegwLjvYIiFoBw-ds&index=7

Tight lines everyone!

Seems the Woolly Bugger is a very popular carp lure and gets the job done ! Thanks for sharing the video...Anglers here in Colorado are also reporting captures with clouser minnow, damsel nymph, gulp crickets, crayfish patterns, zonker, egg sucking leech, pink kitty – the list goes on and on !

This one came on an Orange Popper...

The Wooly Bugger again this time Purple and Black...

Yarn Egg

http://YouTube.com/LyubakaVideo

Edited by lyubakavideo

Thanks for sharing, always good to see carp being caught on the fly and another video blogger at work !

John

PS: I really like the young lady at the end of the video, "Don't forget to subscribe!", top stuff ! :party0012icon:

Today I got so played it is not even funny! Broken off twice by bigguns from under the boat dock - they would just swirl and smooch and zoom away with my flies 10lb test P-Line leader was no match!

So let me weigh in with simple simple simple. so happens this is probably my best all around grass carp fly...its good on the commons, the catfish, and bluegill... I fish it often. its particularly good under a mulberry tree....my favorite way to fish a mulberry drop is subsurface. the fish can't sit under the fly and inspect it, and you can make multiple multiple casts to the same fish without spooking it... good stuff. and did i mention simple? turkey feather for the tail...sizes 6,8, and sometimes 4 with xl beadchain on the 6 and 4 sizes. deadly here in missouri.

IMG_7751-640x480.jpg

HD grass carp hook up http://youtu.be/VxmNnWZc254

Big common played and landed. http://youtu.be/DnDkJlZ7sdo

Edited by Missouri