Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lurch

Carp a jumpin, but not a biting

Fished the same spot today from daybreak till around 2. They were jumping everywhere!! But I had only 2 pulldowns and landed them both, a 5 and 8 lber. Question is why do carp jump????? They were eveywhere but not feeding I guess.

I beleive the explanation that carp jump to loosen debris that they have caught up in there gill rakers. It makes sense to me. So if they are jumping they must be feeding. On what, is the question that we have to figure out.

Fished the same spot today from daybreak till around 2. They were jumping everywhere!! But I had only 2 pulldowns and landed them both, a 5 and 8 lber. Question is why do carp jump????? They were eveywhere but not feeding I guess.

What about your bait and pickup along with chum??

What about your bait and pickup along with chum??

I tried 4 different flavors and chummed with each one and nothing!! I also had chummed with some corn and was using corn as my pickup.

I tried 4 different flavors and chummed with each one and nothing!! I also had chummed with some corn and was using corn as my pickup.

four different flavors of what??? Boilies?? Bread?? Oats?? Millet?? Rice??

Are you using a Hair Rig??

Edited by Mr Big

If fish are rolling once in a while I usually catch pretty good but if I get to the spot and they are jumping one after another you might as well pack up and change spots

they might be feeding mid water or maybe deep into silt who knows but the only way I had any sort of luck it that situation was float fishing with sweat corn

good luck

four different flavors of what??? Boilies?? Bread?? Oats?? Millet?? Rice??

Are you using a Hair Rig??

grit pack bait with a hair rig.

grit pack bait with a hair rig.

While I do love Grits, I would be chunkin Oats or probably millet. Andy at Resistance can put you onto the millet pack most any flavor you might choose. I don't think its your flavors just your choice of bait and the water temp. Its just that time of the year.

jmho

Tom.

While I do love Grits, I would be chunkin Oats or probably millet. Andy at Resistance can put you onto the millet pack most any flavor you might choose. I don't think its your flavors just your choice of bait and the water temp. Its just that time of the year.

jmho

Tom.

Thanks I will try that next time.

If fish are rolling once in a while I usually catch pretty good but if I get to the spot and they are jumping one after another you might as well pack up and change spotsthey might be feeding mid water or maybe deep into silt who knows but the only way I had any sort of luck it that situation was float fishing with sweat corn

good luck

I have caught them when they were active like that by dragging my bait along the bottom every ten minutes or so. I think the movement caught their attention and they checked it out.

Guest Herkel

Carp jump for as many reasons as we have different baits. The most common belief is to clear their gills. The reason they do this is because they don't have any fingers B) but they do have pectoral fins. When they feed they use these fins to stir up the bottom and direct food sources toward their mouths. While doing this they inhale and sometimes get other than the targeted food source lodged in their gill rakes. To dislodge this matter they may jump in a vertical manner and on their decent back into the water it will flush backward against the gill rakes and remove what ever is trapped. Another form of jumping is called porpoising. This is when the fish barely breaks the surface. The best place to observe this is early spring on a slow moving river. These fish are usually feeding on mayflies or some other form of nymphs. When this is the case fishing can really suck unless your a fluff chucker B) Crashing is another form of jumping and this also occurs in the spring. Two things are credited for this behavior. The first is to remove any loose scales and protective slime that may have built up over the winter months from the fish being inactive. Sometimes this is done out of sight by the fish rolling on a hard bottom. The other is to let any breeding partner know they are clean and available for the spawn. I have once observed a pre spawned carp lying just below the surface blowing bubbles that vibrated the surface in an attempt to attract a mate. There's a lot to be learned from watching these great fish.

Herkel

Carp jump for as many reasons as we have different baits. The most common belief is to clear their gills. The reason they do this is because they don't have any fingers B) but they do have pectoral fins. When they feed they use these fins to stir up the bottom and direct food sources toward their mouths. While doing this they inhale and sometimes get other than the targeted food source lodged in their gill rakes. To dislodge this matter they may jump in a vertical manner and on their decent back into the water it will flush backward against the gill rakes and remove what ever is trapped. Another form of jumping is called porpoising. This is when the fish barely breaks the surface. The best place to observe this is early spring on a slow moving river. These fish are usually feeding on mayflies or some other form of nymphs. When this is the case fishing can really suck unless your a fluff chucker B) Crashing is another form of jumping and this also occurs in the spring. Two things are credited for this behavior. The first is to remove any loose scales and protective slime that may have built up over the winter months from the fish being inactive. Sometimes this is done out of sight by the fish rolling on a hard bottom. The other is to let any breeding partner know they are clean and available for the spawn. I have once observed a pre spawned carp lying just below the surface blowing bubbles that vibrated the surface in an attempt to attract a mate. There's a lot to be learned from watching these great fish.

Herkel

A lot of sense & reasoning in that post, I'll buy most of it ! ( dont know about the blowing bubbles one though, maybe it'd had one of Phones Alka Seltza baits or somthing! B)

Gotta think those carp 90% WERE feeding....... just not on your bait B)

ATB Carpsava

Edited by Carpsava

Guest Herkel
A lot of sense & reasoning in that post, I'll buy most of it ! ( dont know about the blowing bubbles one though, maybe it'd had one of Phones Alka Seltza baits or somthing! B)

Gotta think those carp 90% WERE feeding....... just not on your bait B)

ATB Carpsava

Maybe this carp just had a belly full of goose poop B)B)B)

Herkel

Lurch

They jump to let you know they're there. You need to put salt on their tails to catch 'em!

But really, nobody knows why fish jump, even scientists don't know. It's just one of those mysteries that's been around forever. When you think about it, most fish jump for some reason or another. I was sturgeon fishing the Sacramento Delta in California and they were jumping all round the boat, some were 100's of pounds. So what makes sturgeon jump?

When carp jump we know where they are. Isn't the first golden rule of fishing, find the fish?

when the carp are on top and flopping around this time of year they are spawning and will not bite no matter what you throw!!