Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest MinnowMagnet

Discovering California Day 2

Guest MinnowMagnet

This morning I got up at 8:30am planning to go to another discovery spot. This spot was oak hill park in Danville, a guy from fishsniffer said there were many big commons and koi in there. I got out there at 10:00am with bread, sweetcorn and float tackle, freeline tackle and my new 12' black phantoms, one of which I was using for a float rod.

spotof4.jpg

I caught some little bass and a little bluegill. Then after 15 minutes I got hit on my float rod with bread, it turned out to be what the locals said was a blue catfish and I agree, the blue catfish weighted 3lbs.

bluecatcs0.jpg

Then I was talking to a bass guy who had been living around there for 20 years and fishing there for over 10years since he was a kid, and he told me that there were only 7 or 8 maybe 10 koi in that lake and no commons. He also said he had never seen one caught and they were impossible to get to bite. That discouraged me a little, but figured there were at least a few commons in there and I had a chance at getting a koi. Then when I walked across the lake to go to the bathroom I saw a pale orange koi with black and white spots that looked about 15lbs. Then at around 12:00 I moved over there. I talked to some other locals who also said there were not may koi in there, but there had been one recorded catch of a koi a few years back, it was white koi at 6lbs. I fished that spot for a couple hours and only caught a few small bass and another little bluegill on a spinner. I decided to move back to the other spot at about 3:15. I got back to that spot and saw no signs of fish. But then at about 4:50pm I was talking to another kid who was catch bluegills when I heard my rod getting hit, it was my 12' float rod with bread and 6lb fluorocarbon. I ran up and set the hook and when it took off I knew it was a koi or carp, then it jumped and I saw it, a large red/orange koi. As soon as I saw it I yelled YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Everyone turned and looked at me like I was nuts, after a few minutes I got it to the net. It weighed 12lbs 9oz. I left just after releasing the koi. That's one more successful entry.

koimatrj4.jpg

koicg3.jpg

swimlg7.jpg

Guest Eli

nice koi...

i'd be curious to know what the value of a well coloured huge koi like that might be to a collector...?

well done.. sounds like a tough venue !!! beautiful looking Koi !!

Val