Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lee Baermann

Carp'n 5/20/09

Guest Lee Baermann

I went to a different spot today because I found a tick on me yesterday. The other spot gets overgrown easily and I will not go back there now until they cut it all back which they do periodically. The big deal today was fog........and lots of dampness. It made seeing anything difficult even with polarized glasses in a rose lens. I managed to land 5, four smallies and one gordito. I didn't get a shot of the bigger carp because I was sliding down the bank towards the water as it was.

CopyofIMGP0747.jpg

This one did not want its picture taken so it rolled in the dirt. You can see how wet the ground is from the fog.

CopyofIMGP0746.jpg

This one was better behaved.

CopyofIMGP0748.jpg

Here's a closeup of a clouser swimming nymph at work.

CopyofIMGP0749.jpg

I'm still using the same set up of a ECHO 2 6wt, Konic 2 reel with an Airflo floater. I am going to change the line to a different Airflo line and I will soon be getting 3 new ECHO IONs to play with. I'll give a report of how the 7wt ION preforms.

Edited by Lee Baermann

That must be a blast WTG :rolleyes:

how's the konic holding up Lee? does it take scratches well or is the hard alox still king?

Guest Lee Baermann

The reel took a beating today. Once when a carp did a dance on it and got it all muddy and the other time when I tossed the rod/reel up the bank so I didn't slide in the water. I think the tolerances between the spool and frame are not as fine as on the Litespeed so it'll take more grit and grime before you hear the two rubbing. I also set the reel in the dirt while changing flies and retying leaders and it still functioned fine. My Litespeeds are s bit touchy when set in the dirt, you could hear the dirt get chewed up between frame and spool. So it is perfect for the application I got it for.

I may give it a few outings in the surf to see how it handles sand but with the greater tolerances, I don't see a problem.

good to know, thanks Lee. My Velocities have seen their fair share of rocks clay and sand and have held up well, even though a couple of them sustained a gouge or two. nothing to snag on though and still perform flawlessly.

Guest Driftless

Great point on the Konic not picking up as much grit. I have tossed mine bankside many time landing fish without the grind from dirt. There is a benefit to spending less money on a reel. So far I have had no major problems with dings on the Konic, but have have avoided large rocks and cement so far too. The lack of worry about grit is a major plus for a reel that can fit a budget.

Have you guys messed with Nautilus reels at all?

I purchased a Kronic 3.5,line and leader on line from uncommoncarp today. Seemed like a great guy to deal with.

no doubt Mat is the man. Let us know how the new reel worked out. what line did you order?

I purchased theTeeny Pro Series Carp in a 7wt to use on a 7wt 10ft Sage GFL 7100-3RPL

Want to thank all for your constructive input on gear and flies.

I think some times the chase can be as exciting as the capture and you don't have to leave the chair in front of the computer.

The information you have been waiting fo years is avialable in minutes.