Carp Anglers Group Forums

Montgomery Carp Derby: Sunday Aug. 9th,2009 6am-

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest cornball

I know that alot of CAG members hold a spot in their heart for this derby and I'm one of them. I have also heard a lot of anglers complain about how the fish are handled, and weighed. Well, this is your chance to give back and do something about the carp care. I have talked to the boy scout troop leader and the village to listen to our concerns and I have listened to theirs. Like alot of us starting out, sometimes the easiest way to learn something is to be shown. So Sunday I'll be weighing fish, sacking fish, and showing the scouts how to better care for the carp caught during the tournament. This year the fish will be weighed with a sling on a Rueben Heaton fixed to a tripod. Any fish not in the top will be released right away. This will be an improvement over years past. When I explained my concerns they were all ears and shared many of the concerns I have about the care of the fish but they don't have the funds for the proper equipment and they said I was the first to offer to help!!?? ..... The city donates the money for the prizes and the entry fees goes to buy camping gear for the scouts so there really is not any way they could afford sacks,slings,scales or tripods. I have two sacks and a half dozen wet/dry fish sacks, and several slings, if anyone has a sack or two they could loan that would be great I'd like to have ten, and an extra Reuben digital 60# scale as a back up to mine would be great. Also anyone willing to donate any of these items to the boy scouts, or additional prizes would be well recieved. Last, it would be great to have some help and to show more about CAG than just our fishing skill, and the good will created could go along way to get a pegged tournament or fish-in with the citys help in the future. PM me if you can loan, donate or help. See you all there.....................Larry

Edited by cornball

Guest garrettsullivan

i will be there. Are there going to be pegs handed out or is it just a stretch of the river and fish where you want? Is there a meeting spot to start the day off?

I know that alot of CAG members hold a spot in their heart for this derby and I'm one of them. I have also heard a lot of anglers complain about how the fish are handled, and weighed. Well, this is your chance to give back and do something about the carp care. I have talked to the boy scout troop leader and the village to listen to our concerns and I have listened to theirs. Like alot of us starting out, sometimes the easiest way to learn something is to be shown. So Sunday I'll be weighing fish, sacking fish, and showing the scouts how to better care for the carp caught during the tournament. This year the fish will be weighed with a sling on a Rueben Heaton fixed to a tripod. Any fish not in the top will be released right away. This will be an improvement over years past. When I explained my concerns they were all ears and shared many of the concerns I have about the care of the fish but they don't have the funds for the proper equipment and they said I was the first to offer to help!!?? ..... The city donates the money for the prizes and the entry fees goes to buy camping gear for the scouts so there really is not any way they could afford sacks,slings,scales or tripods. I have two sacks and a half dozen wet/dry fish sacks, and several slings, if anyone has a sack or two they could loan that would be great I'd like to have ten, and an extra Reuben digital 60# scale as a back up to mine would be great. Also anyone willing to donate any of these items to the boy scouts, or additional prizes would be well recieved. Last, it would be great to have some help and to show more about CAG than just our fishing skill, and the good will created could go along way to get a pegged tournament or fish-in with the citys help in the future. PM me if you can loan, donate or help. See you all there.....................Larry

Larry-Go ahead and pick something up that is worth $50. I'll have the cash for you at the tournament.--Frank

Guest cornball

Frank, thanks for the generous donation I'll find something nice. Paul at Wacker Baits has also offered some prizes and Anglers International Resources in Palatine has offered some gift cards as well. I'll be donating some beginner carp kits for the kids prizes and a "Fighting Roughfish" t-shirt for the 1st place adult winner (that's right a new batch). I"ll update any other news as it comes my way. I'll also have a display up Saturday if any of the "Carp Elite" in the area want to demonstrate any techniques or talk with people about carp fishing. Garrett, the event is over a 2-3 mile stretch and you can fish where you want or move, expect the easy to get to spots to fill up early so get there early and it starts at 6am............See you there..............Larry.

Way to do it. dude, This will hopefully help the contest. montgomery is old stomping ground for me. I have a few things to get done on sat. but I would enjoy coming down. Let me know where you plan on being set up and from what times. I'll will most likely have my girls with me but, should be able to hang for a while.

Guest cornball

I do not know exactly where I will be set up, the city says it will be close to the usual weigh-in location but there have been some riverfront improvements and a few things have been moved (I have yet to see them), Thanks you. Also, Ernie and Magda of World Classic Baits have donated a number of their new pop-ups as prizes. I am seeing these for the first time and they are pretty kool! Paul at Wacker has come through again with helping me obtain a second scale, this will come in handy with helping out this weekend and other groups and their events in the future...........Larry

I do not know exactly where I will be set up, the city says it will be close to the usual weigh-in location but there have been some riverfront improvements and a few things have been moved (I have yet to see them), Thanks you. Also, Ernie and Magda of World Classic Baits have donated a number of their new pop-ups as prizes. I am seeing these for the first time and they are pretty kool! Paul at Wacker has come through again with helping me obtain a second scale, this will come in handy with helping out this weekend and other groups and their events in the future...........Larry

Hi Larry

I can not be there but I know Andy B and Michal his friend come to event. Mayby one of my friend from aurora will join too (he is new in carp fishing).

good luck everybody

Paul

Guest cornball

Nice to see alot of you planning to show, take it easy on the rest of the anglers, I want to be invited back (LOL). I know the event will get a good turn out this year and I have personaly bought another 12 mesh sacks to loan out to help keep fish off stringers!!!! If you have a few bucks, and you feel generous or you have connections at "SprawlMart", they have mesh laundry bags for $2.86 a piece and they should hold most fish (singly) I will be insisting that the scouts have the people bring the fish over imediatly after capture, but just in case I'd like to have a few bags to loan out so fish don't end up on stringers and are still kept in the water. I will also bring radios and occasionaly try to broadcast the leading fish weights in the hopes that people won't tranport the fish that are obviously under sized..........Larry.

Nice to see alot of you planning to show, take it easy on the rest of the anglers, I want to be invited back (LOL). I know the event will get a good turn out this year and I have personaly bought another 12 mesh sacks to loan out to help keep fish off stringers!!!! If you have a few bucks, and you feel generous or you have connections at "SprawlMart", they have mesh laundry bags for $2.86 a piece and they should hold most fish (singly) I will be insisting that the scouts have the people bring the fish over imediatly after capture, but just in case I'd like to have a few bags to loan out so fish don't end up on stringers and are still kept in the water. I will also bring radios and occasionaly try to broadcast the leading fish weights in the hopes that people won't tranport the fish that are obviously under sized..........Larry.

Nice idea with the radios, Larry. What channel?--Frank

Guest cornball

It's gonna be hot so be prepared (the scouts should like that). At the sign in I will have a dry erase board up with the radio channel posted and I'll try to post here Saturday night. I know the parks people and fair organizers will be using radios so I'll find out Saturday what channels are free. (P.S. Does anyone know which channels are o.k. to use, I bought the radios years ago and never bothered to read the instructions, just in case channel 3 is occupied). ....Larry.

Guest cornball

The sign up booth has always been located at the northwest corner of where the Fox River and E. Mill St. intersect in Montgomery Illinois (near the corner E. Mill and N. River), as I wrote before things may be moved slightly but within easy eye sight of the usual location. There will be food vendors and craft booths there as well, the sign in is between them and the river along the bike trail. The derby is on Sunday. In the past the area available to fish has been any public area between the Ashland bridge to the north, and the RTe. 30 bridge to the south, but the scouts determine that the morning of the event. Unfortunatly this derby and the fest have gone on for so long the only advertising/info is a little road sign , everyone just kind of shows up the second sunday of August via word of mouth. One note for new comers, N. River will be closed from Mill St. North to the Cemetary for the fest so come in on mill. For those close by you may want to come by for the fest and food on saturday and to scout a spot, there are a lot of "ya just got a see it" spots to fish and quirky road detours to find when your running with your fish to the scale, to many to list here. Hopefully the help I give and the response of the anglers will allow multiple weigh locations in the future, and better marketing of the event, but one step at a time.........LARRY.

Montgomery,il. You can take 88west out and get off on rt 31 going south though down town aurora and take that south past jericko rd to the second ligth after jericko and turn left. I cant remember the name of that street, On the west side of the street it is alcutt but you turn left go over RR tracks and at the stop turn left again and that is mill st. go to the next stop and the weigh in and sign up is across the street and on the right, north of the bridge on the west side of the river. that is where it has been in the past if it changes larry should let us know.

"if it changes larry should let us know"

Just show up find the check in and fish the dam thing :yourock::o The only thing that scares me is the cheaters that live along the river :rolleyes: Im sure they have a few on the stringer already. Too bad that didnt help them last year :P

Guest cornball

The check-in is in the same general area as before, I'll post Saturday night if there are any major changes. Mike, Play nice, you could always donate you time as a tournament official instead of fishing??!! I might even give you a shirt if you did that. :rolleyes: See you all there and please have fun...............Larry.

The check-in is in the same general area as before, I'll post Saturday night if there are any major changes. Mike, Play nice, you could always donate you time as a tournament official instead of fishing??!! I might even give you a shirt if you did that. :rolleyes: See you all there and please have fun...............Larry.

Yea, Carpbowl. Do what Larry says and get a shirt. The winning fish has probably already been caught all strung up in somebody's back yard.