Carp Anglers Group Forums

Montgomery Carp Derby: Sunday Aug. 9th,2009 6am-

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest cornball

The new park layout for the fest is nice, the brat I had was excellent and the band is much better, oh you mean fishing. Not enough people had enough time to do a full scale demo but I did show dozens how to use a hair rig and gave everyone all my secrets for Montgomery. The boys stopped by ( I'm bad with names, the one's who brock state records back to back) Mike, they told me your winning flavor of boillie for last year. :rolleyes: Rummor has it some of the best match anglers in the area are showing tomarrow as well. Fish rolled behind the weigh station all day, nothing big (enough). But I heard of a CAG member fishing an area nearby catching and releasing a 13# plus carp. My spies tell me that person was planning to fish Michigan tomarrow....Who are you? I gotta go to sleep, see you all really, really soon.....Larry.

Guest cornball
First I'd like to thank all the anglers who came out I hope you had fun. Next I'd like to thank Wacker bait and Tackle, Anglers International Resources, World Classic Baits, and Frank Rink for their generous donations and prizes, And last I want to thank the boys and Troop leaders of Troop 61, without their help and open minds things would not have changed in Montgomery. Good fish care really does rub off if someone gets to see others who care and the boys of Troop 61 learned how to weigh, sack , store, release and revive carp. One scout spent 15 minutes with the only fish that needed help and wouldn't leave till it was well enough to swim off on its own. Good job. By the end of the derby the Troop was making suggestions and some will be apart of next years derby. Some proposed ideas. Thanks to Franks donation No stringers!! sacks will be required ( available for a deposit for those who do not have one, refundable for those who return their borrowed sack). The troop leaders where so impressed with how having the anglers sign off on their fish's weight that all fish will be imediatly released after weighing. Name tags will be given to all anglers who enter to tell who is in the derby and with the help of the village that tag will allow you to come from the east on Hill during the weigh in and get by the police block for the parade. I even had offers from anglers to help so there may even be multiple weigh stations next year!. And now for what you came to see.....
1stPlace 12-1 for loacal angler Craig Watson who's fish came in fresh!
2ndPlace 10-0 tie for Andrew Chione ( the older of the brothers i mentioned) and CAG member Andy Burnagiel.
4thplace 9-15 for Frank Rink (CAG member and all around nice guy)
5thplace 9-13 for Lionel Lane (a prodigy of the Chione brothers, who knew 16yr olds could have a prodigy)
Boys largest: 8-0 Girls largest: 6-3
Again my congradulations to all the CAG members who showed and all the locals who really made an effort to care for their fish, I saw at least 15 plastic areated live bags, and those I yelled at early came back with plastic bins and very fresh fish. I saw a change this year and although not perfect, the attempt was made to try to achieve that, and I know the scouts and the city will try to achieve that in the future. Thanks Everyone...........Larry. Edited by cornball

Larry--You provide an outstanding example of how quickly one can change archaic and ingrained attitudes with a little perseverance and a lot of dedication such as you demonstrated at Montgomery. Great work! Your efforts are much appreciated! I bet you could even crack that nut up at Belvidere, but that could take some time and substantially more backing. Thank you for serving as an extraordinary ambassador for appropriate catch-and-release fishing!--Frank