• spam or other meats
    • potato
    • Boilies
    • Other---say what in a post

oh well here goes

Edited by Neil Stern

Guest phonebush

Neil,

I HAD to vote for seet corn. Where is the "OTHER" catagory? I mean, where's a doughball, where's a nightcrawler, where's a - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

Phone

it's in there now Phone,,,,, :)

I think boilies have their place. Ask me this question in Winter and boilies are great, Come summer time I will mostly be fishing maize and tigers. Boilies are not over rated and just a part of the bait arsenal

To asume that boilies or any constant pickup is a big fish bait would be thinking small. jmho. Some extreme waters demand a boilie/constant pickup but it has nothing to do with the size of fish you catch. jmho Big fish bait/hocus pocus/BS..... jmho.

Tom.

Dave,

I've heard more fish---Corn

Bigger Fish --Boilies

that just didn't work out for me????? :D

thus the questions,,,,,,,,

I can Kill with Tigers, and Boiled Deer Corn, but only partially wound with Boilies :)

Boilies in my experience of fishing and landing now 90 - 30+lbs carp (Town Lake and NY accounted for most of them) there is no doubt in my mind I catch larger average size fish then I would if I was using smaller baits. I've fished right beside anglers using particles and they can usually catch more, but the size they catch tends to be a smaller average size.

Like Scott F said though season plays a part in that equation also.

Tom is clueless IMHO when it comes to big fish. But he and I have had that discussion bank side face to face so there is no need to rehash it. I've also never fished a paylake only wild waters so maybe that's a factor? I may try a paylake someday, but it's not really my thing. Catching carp is easy, catching big carp is a bit tougher.. :)

Post up all the pics of your 30's Tom. I'd like to see a few. I've seen the one from France(was that on a boilie?) no need to post it up.

So what is "best"?

I have just started using boilies, untill this year it has been sweet corn or puffs so I can not really rate the boilies yet but I have read and heard great things about them so I am giving them a try I have picked up a couple fish on boilies in the past 2 weekends...I think the conditions have a place with both and yes one day they will be on sweet corn and the next will not touch it so I would try both and see what works best good luck to all....

For some reason boilies seem to get the bigger fish for me - not always though but a general impression I have. I never could figure out why, whether it was a special feeding trigger it released or the hardness of the boilie resembled something they naturally ate??? To be honest I don't understand carp bait theory but when particles are what I'm mainly throwing and using - I will always use boilies on at least one rod because it has produced bigger fish for me.

Boilies in my experience of fishing and landing now 90 - 30+lbs carp (Town Lake and NY accounted for most of them) there is no doubt in my mind I catch larger average size fish then I would if I was using smaller baits. I've fished right beside anglers using particles and they can usually catch more, but the size they catch tends to be a smaller average size.

Like Scott F said though season plays a part in that equation also.

Tom is clueless IMHO when it comes to big fish. But he and I have had that discussion bank side face to face so there is no need to rehash it. I've also never fished a paylake only wild waters so maybe that's a factor? I may try a paylake someday, but it's not really my thing. Catching carp is easy, catching big carp is a bit tougher.. :D

Post up all the pics of your 30's Tom. I'd like to see a few. I've seen the one from France(was that on a boilie?) no need to post it up.

So what is "best"?

I usually don't have time to take pictures but I have landed many. No need for pictures because there are always others there to see them.

btw... Just what and who landed the big fish at your Hominy Event last year?? I might add that I was the only one there not using the hair rig too.... :)

I think this is a topic that is limited to the anglers experiences. I have had the last four years fishing with some of the best Euro guys in the States and I do still manage to catch a few.

Its not about any one person or any one way of doing things. Its about what puts the carp on the bank. Chasing big fish is a total waist for me, I enjoy catching them all. But you knew that already. :P

Tom.

great discussion....let's keep it civil please

I've not got all that many 30's perhaps 5, and only 2 have come on Boilies, but I do think Scott E is right, as is Dave in a Subsequent post

I usually don't have time to take pictures but I have landed many. No need for pictures because there are always others there to see them.

btw... Just what and who landed the big fish at your Hominy Event last year?? I might add that I was the only one there not using the hair rig too.... :)

I think this is a topic that is limited to the anglers experiences. I have had the last four years fishing with some of the best Euro guys in the States and I do still manage to catch a few.

Its not about any one person or any one way of doing things. Its about what puts the carp on the bank. Chasing big fish is a total waist for me, I enjoy catching them all. But you knew that already. :D

Tom.

Good post tom.

From my first [half] season of carp fishing i did a gradual progression of techniques.

Which is as follows

Sweet corn on a size 6-8 hook 3 split shots -> lots of carp caught on this method. Setting the hook was key. I ripped many'a lips with my 6 foot medium action berkley + qutaum spinning outfit. Average size: 8-12 pounds.

Sweet corn on a hair rig [unflavored] 3oz bolt 12' foot euro rod + the other equip -> lots of carp, more carp than with the plain hook. Roughly same size.

Boilies [various flavors] 3oz bolt 12' foot euro rod blah blah -> consistent catching, my pb of 18 pounds fell to my homemade cinnamon boilies. Definatly bigger average size, but no where near as many as sweet corn.

Monster maise [pineapple and cranberry] 3oz bolt 12' foot blah blah -> consistent catch, a tad better than boilies, same average size as boilies.

Overall my heart is with sweetcorn due to the excessive catching, but nothing beats catching big carp. So for me ill never ever fish without boilies, ill switch to sweet corn if the going gets tougher, or monster maise. Otherwise im a boilie man. This season i wanna try commercial boilies.

My 2 cents.

For some reason boilies seem to get the bigger fish for me - not always though but a general impression I have. I never could figure out why, whether it was a special feeding trigger it released or the hardness of the boilie resembled something they naturally ate??? To be honest I don't understand carp bait theory but when particles are what I'm mainly throwing and using - I will always use boilies on at least one rod because it has produced bigger fish for me.

I wanted to add that unless I've prebaited with boilies (which is virtually never because they are just too expensive) I will always fish with stringers or crushed boilies in a pva system - never just a single boilie on a hair. But I will feel confident in casting a pop up alone.

This is just what I do anyways, and it works well most of the time.

I fished with sweet corn for years and caught my 2 biggest carp on it but now I fish in a place that has a lot of tench and I can not use sweet corn now. I use maze and boilies now and I have caught bigger fish on the boilies than on the maze. I just make my own boilies and they seem to not catch as many tench or small carp. If I did not have so many tench I would just use sweet corn.

Jeff

I went with flavored field corn. It is what I have the most confidence in when fished slightly popped up. My PB was on sweet corn, my second largest a boilie, and my third flavored corn. Don't have enough over 30s yet to form a solid opinion on big fish yet.

Boilies do have a place on one of my rods at almost all times, usually snowman rigged if I'm tossing a boilie.

All those baits suck. Only thing I use is a tootsie roll on my hair with an 8 ounce lead LOL, just kidn. I love boilies. K-1's boilies and their flavored corn have always done good for me. They have caught new pb's for me and hopefully they'll give me a few more pb's this year.

To add on to the Tom/Dave coversation...

I fish a few events each year when I am not trying to bank the big girls. When I fish the events boilies are part of the equation that usually put myself and my partner in the money, but they are not our main weapon of choice because at times they can be too selective. Actually too selective may be the wrong term... at times they are not as instant and readily taken as other baits and that just is not condusive to getting into the money. They are great for giving the carp something to munch on, inturn keeping them in the swim longer, but they are not our first choice when numbers of any size fish are the order of the day. There are many other baits that will do a much better job when it comes to catching any and all carp.

Now if it is bigger fish I am after a boilie is my number one choice. Not because they only catch big carp but because the unwanted spieces and smaller carp seem to them leave them alone longer compared to sweet corn, maize, and the 100s of other baits we use. From my experience I have found that if you can keep your swim quiet and a bait on your hair you will have a better chance at getting into a better fish.

Tom I have fished for both numbers of fish and big fish and I can tell you they are two completely different ways of fishing and more importantly two totally different bait approaches. Like paylaking you have to accept and trust in the techniques and tactics or you will never succeed in putting BIG carp on the mat on a consistent basis. NOW GO GUS

Edited by KARPER

I think in general they are a little overated but they do have their place, there is no 'one' bait that out fishes all others all the time, a few weeks ago i was getting fish on the method on one rod but the 3 that i got on the boilie rod were all bigger, the week after that i was completely the opposite, one 12lbr on a boilie and a bunch up to 26 on the method, and the last couple of times couldn't buy a bite on any kind of boilie,ie big, small, balanced, popped up, snowman and some other combinations, all secumbed to the method, my theory is that sometimes theyre not wanting anything other than loose feed and small particles. I have had times when boilies have out fished the method so i will always be willing to sacrifice numbers of fish on one rod in the hope, only problem i have with boilies as bait are freakin catfish god i hate those things!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil -- you opened the veritable bucket of worms up here!! :)

I made multiple votes, as I always have (perhaps way too many :P ) many different choices when I go anywhere -- and, they've all worked at different times.

For many years, I fished nothing but particles and bread -- with great success. However, I really wasn't geared up half enough, to deal with our terrible foes -- ducks/diving birds/turtles/nuisance fish etc.

My biggest fish have all come on particles - although I've caught plenty of 20's and a few 30's on boilies, and really enjoy the fact that I can use bigger baits to (partly :) ) thwart the attempts of the thieves from swiping every bait within minutes of it hitting the water!!

I firmly believe that pressured/wise fish are inherently more likely to take a carefully introduced boilie over any form of flavoured/unflavoured particle bait - especially if they have previously been caught on particles.

Like it or not --- the bigger fish have a natural instinct to be wary of just about anything that isn't quite the way they like it. Sure enough, given 'free reign', they will acclimatize to just about any major food source that is readily available, and -- as long as that source (folks feeding them) is consistent, and they can rely on a full belly -- every time they want one, they will stop eating 'naturals' and you'll catch them on whatever you are feeding.

'Once bitten - twice shy' hardly approximates how fast a big fish will retreat (even if hungry!! :) ) from a smell that landed them up in one of our nets. Introduce a different flavour - perhaps with a different shaped bait, and -- MAYBE you stand a chance :D

The advent of boilies has opened up a completely different World to those seeking the big uns, and -- with Phones list of flavours (how many thousands??) -- the big Carp World should be your oyster ;)

But -- as we all (hopefully?) realise -- the big uns didn't get there by being silly, and chomping on just everything that smelled good!!

Boilies certainly play a huge part in the arsenal of the serious Big Carp angler, ---- but, are they over rated?

I hardly think so :lol: If we'd never had them -- we'd be lot worse off, as they have basically opened up an avenue erstwhile closed, and allowed more flexibility to those seeking bigger 'educated' fish.

Sure enough, uneducated monsters are pretty easy to catch -- especially when using staples like bread -- in places where folks regularly feed ducks!! How long does that ruse last? I have a couple of lakes close to me -- where you can use 20 loaves of bread throwing it at the big uns -- and they just laugh and go off to eat their normal grub. :)

There is however a lot to be said about the ingenuity of the pioneers of modern day Carping, and of how easy they have made it for those just getting started. Bait wise -- boilies are a great addition to your bait buckets -- BUT, you'd better learn how to use them wisely -- or, you may just be sat back scratching your head, and wondering what all this hype is about ;)

Tight Lines,

Brid.

Edited by Brid

Guest cornball

For me.......Most reliable hook bait - Canned Corn, Real tough bite - home made boilies, Numbers (small) - Peanut Butter or Bread, Abnormally large fish for a given water - Jumbo Leech. This is based on hook bait fished alone (no method, pack, or baiting, as that changes everything ). You can size out small fish with big boilies, or you can bait like crazy and change the habits of fish in the water but when the big fish are there I have seen more caught on a single kernal of corn than I have seen caught on boilies.