Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

David Moore

Tournament of Champions 2010

who is Ted Carrier?

Edited by GEFILTA FISHER

Ted is a retiree who has been involved for many years in several projects revolving around the downtown and riverfront revitalization in Hartford along the Connecticut River. He has a passion for developing multi-use areas for the public as well as private events in downtown. Ted was the catalyst for inviting CARPTS to bring a tournament to Hartford after hearing about other urban venues as tournament settings. Last year, he was instrumental in bringing the local college's fisheries students to participate as marshals in training and researchers to monitor the health of the carp and the fishery. He has become a champion for catch-and-release carp fishing after having little knowledge in the early stages.

With a strong contingent of CAG members in CT, and "carp fans" in private citizens like Ted - the possibilites in CT appear endless.

Ted is a retiree who has been involved for many years in several projects revolving around the downtown and riverfront revitalization in Hartford along the Connecticut River. He has a passion for developing multi-use areas for the public as well as private events in downtown. Ted was the catalyst for inviting CARPTS to bring a tournament to Hartford after hearing about other urban venues as tournament settings. Last year, he was instrumental in bringing the local college's fisheries students to participate as marshals in training and researchers to monitor the health of the carp and the fishery. He has become a champion for catch-and-release carp fishing after having little knowledge in the early stages.

With a strong contingent of CAG members in CT, and "carp fans" in private citizens like Ted - the possibilites in CT appear endless.

excellent..... way to go Ted :)

Guest lee

cathy,if there is anything i can help you with leading up to the event please feel free to contaked me,being the ct state chair i would love to get involved in some way ,and i know the rest of the ct lads would feel the same.

it would be great to return the hospitality you showed me and the boys at baldwinsville.

Although I wouldn't want to scare any one off I have heard a slight rumbling through the grapevine down South that some very talented Southern Paylakers are looking at taking this event lock stock and barrel. :D The term "" easy money "" has come up. :)

Regards

Tom.

Although I wouldn't want to scare any one off I have heard a slight rumbling through the grapevine down South that some very talented Southern Paylakers are looking at taking this event lock stock and barrel. :) The term "" easy money "" has come up. :D

Regards

Tom.

Tom

Does that mean your $600 is in the mail then? I thought you were semi-retired, having forced Colin to hang out with a dodgy Brit in B-town? :)

If not, and you plan to play, I might just have to trundle on down to Hartford to watch the legend in action. :P

Iain

Tom

Does that mean your $600 is in the mail then? I thought you were semi-retired, having forced Colin to hang out with a dodgy Brit in B-town? :)

If not, and you plan to play, I might just have to trundle on down to Hartford to watch the legend in action. :D

Iain

I have won three or four free entries to this event and never used them. This event, being a layed back event, causes me to wonder just what the problem is with anglers catching fish. (( no Southern Paylakers attending )). There is an entree that came with the B-ville event that has caused a slight stirr. (( easy money )). We shall see. :P Either way, the field of past entries causes no concern, plain and simple. :)

When do teams start getting added to the leader board?

cheers.

CARP TOURNAMENT SERIES LEAVES HARTFORD

“Tournament of Champions” Will Move To New Venue In 2012

Carp Angling Elite Competition Succumbs to Regional Economy

Bartlesville OK—The most prestigious carp anglers from around the United States and several foreign countries found the tidal currents of the Connecticut River a real test of their stamina and angling expertise when Hartford hosted the CARP Tournament Series Tournament of Champions at Great River Park for the past two years. The demanding conditions of the river earned the contest the reputation as an ultra-challenge competition in carp angling circles. However, the Oklahoma-based CARP Tournament Series learned this week that the currents in the regional economy in southern New England – particularly the greater Hartford area – put their third year in Hartford at risk due to sponsor fallout. Organizers hoped that they would be able to fulfill their three-year obligation to Hartford with anglers lined-up to attend this year from Texas, North Carolina, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, New York, England, Romania and Poland. But those hopes were dashed with the news that a major sponsor was backing out.

This year would have been CARP Tournament Series 7th Annual Tournament of Champions which the organization moved from Lake Hominy in Oklahoma to Hartford’s city center in 2008 after being persuaded by a local alliance to bring the event to the Connecticut River.

“CARPTS has never cancelled a tournament in our history of producing tournaments throughout the United States,” said David Moore, CARPTS tournament director. “We have an obligation to our circuit anglers to guarantee prize monies that we publically advertise, and when our underwriter advised us that the monies would not be escrowed as pledged over the three-year term, we had no choice but to protect our integrity and uphold our promise to the anglers.”

“We’re truly saddened by this turn of events. We’ve seen an interest in Hartford gain momentum among carp anglers for leisure and competitive angler since we’ve spotlighted this venue and the Connecticut River will always have some great memories for our anglers. We’re grateful to Mr. Ted Carrier who had the vision to invite us to Hartford as well as the Riverfront Recapture, the Greater Hartford Convention and Visitors Bureau, Cabela’s, the City of East Hartford, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection as well as the local restaurants, shops and hotels for their assistance the past two years.”

In the meantime, CARPTS is eyeing a new venue for the Tournament of Champions in 2012, and organizers are confident this occurrence was a regional issue which will not affect any plans for tournaments in the future. The organization is hosting the Carp Angling World Championship on the St. Lawrence River in September 2011 where over 100 teams of international anglers have already committed to that contest.