• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mcwrestler

mcwrestler

Mountain Top!

• Director
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

A huge thanks to Jerome for wording the objectives of the event.

Take A Kid Carpin' (TAKC)

When: last weekend in June (June 26th and 27th)

Introduction

So many carp in North America, so few carp anglers! As the St Lawrence Junior tournament clearly demonstrated many times, kids actually love carp fishing if you give them a chance. So let's give it a try in as many locations as we can during the last week-end of June. And let's try to build the next generation of carp anglers.

How to participate

To participate, simply follow the guidelines provided below. This event is entirely free for participants, CAG members or not, no registration needed.

Guidelines

1. Feel free to organize the type of kids-centric activity you wish. It can be as simple as inviting your nephews or your friends' kids to go fish with you. It can be a larger fishing event with tens of junior participants and multiple marshals. It can be centered on underprivileged kids, kids from a local school, young ones or older ones, a short outing or a longer one, this is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. Just... take kids carpin' the way you prefer, and this counts.

2. Take as many pictures as you can about the event, and do share the stories (or at least the pics if you don't feel like writing) on the CAG forum. While posting pics of kids with a fish, please indicate the first name of the corresponding kid (see prizes below).

3. You can have them fish the way you want, using as many rods as locally allowed, using whatever gear you like, but please teach the kids to catch carp with a single hook and to practice catch & release. Although this event is centered on Cyprinus Carpio, feel free to document incidental captures.

4. We would suggest to encourage parents & family to come, bringing some food & drinks, and be amazed at watching their kids catch a bigger freshwater fish than what they ever caught themselves. This isn't mandatory, but this will ease logistics and avoid possible disputes in case of an incident. In general, play it safe, be watchful, those kids move fast and sometimes might hurt themselves.

5. Juniors are kids 17 or less (to be consistent with CAG's definition for the big fish awards).

That's it! No more rules! Just make those kids catch a nice one!

Benefits & Prizes

Please make sure to record the names of the kids who participated, and to take & post pictures of kids with their catches. We'll try to publish all pics posted on the forum in the NACA (or at least one per kid).

Also a random draw will be associated with various prizes, check this thread for more details. Just post pics of the kids with their catch, and they will automatically be part of the draw.

Overall, this will be an entirely non competitive and free event (at least at the national level).

Edited by Jerome, 16 June 2010 - 07:28 AM.

Personal Bests:
Mirror - 40 lbs 0oz (on the puff)

Common - 37lbs 0oz

Fully Scaled Mirror - 25lbs 0oz
Koi - 13lbs 10oz
Grass Carp - 22 lbs

Always fish the snag

#2 mcwrestler

mcwrestler

Mountain Top!

• Director
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

I encourage everyone that can to participate in some capacity, even if it is just taking a friend and their kids out fishing.

I should have been more proactive with this earlier but I've been working on my plans for that weekend. I am partnering with a group for underprivaleged kids to get them outdoors and fishing. If anyone needs help or suggestions please contact me.

Personal Bests:

Common - 37lbs 0oz

Koi - 13lbs 10oz
Grass Carp - 22 lbs

Always fish the snag

#3 Jerome

Jerome

(happily semi-retired) coach

• Director
  • 9,502 posts
  • Interests:fishing, movies, books, words at large...
  • Who Referred you?:N/A

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thanks, Brad.

All right guys, let's make it happen, let's have as many local fishing opportunities for kids as possible during this last week-end of June (26th and 27th). All over North America!

Keep it simple, as long you get some kids to catch a carp, you'll have fulfilled the goal - and I guarantee you this will bring a smile to your face too. :)
Jerome Moisand, Arlington MA
Carp angling as it should be, fishing for fun and having fun!
PB: definitely bigger than Eric's
http://www.carpiopedia.com

#4 Carphd

Carphd

Obsessed Carper

• CAG Member
  • 954 posts
  • Interests:Carp, Steelhead, Browntrout, Centerpin and Sabers Hockey

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

This will fit in perfect with the free fishing weekend. Sunday the 27th is Kids fun fishing day with prizes and everything. If your interested in helping here in NY please PM me.

Thanks Brad for setting this up and CNY hopes to have many little :D carp hugging pics for you. :)

Bill
Team Packbait "On the Puff!"
"What's in your bucket ?"

#5 mcwrestler

mcwrestler

Mountain Top!

• Director
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

This will fit in perfect with the free fishing weekend. Sunday the 27th is Kids fun fishing day with prizes and everything. If your interested in helping here in NY please PM me.

Thanks Brad for setting this up and CNY hopes to have many little :D carp hugging pics for you. :)

Bill

Excellent plan, I think this corresponds with free fishing day for a few states.

Personal Bests:

Common - 37lbs 0oz

Koi - 13lbs 10oz
Grass Carp - 22 lbs

Always fish the snag

#6 Jerome

Jerome

• Director
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

All right, we have our own new section of the forum for this new event now! Thanks, Louis.

Please watch for updates, and do plan for your own week-end of "kids' carping". June 26th and June 27th, this is pretty soon!

Again, if you want to do something big, by all means, do it, but anything or any format will do, even just bringing one kid to fish with you for a few hours will make a difference to the life of this specific kid. So let's have as many kids possible carping during this week-end!

#7 Carphd

Carphd

Obsessed Carper

• CAG Member
  • 954 posts
  • Interests:Carp, Steelhead, Browntrout, Centerpin and Sabers Hockey

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Just to clarify what Central New York is doing.

In NY, Al from Mickeys bait and tackle, Has always had a family fishing fun day the Sunday after the CAGI. last year I went to help out and set out 3 rods we ended up 4 for 6 or something like that, in like 2hrs. I didn't take any pics, but the smiles were priceless and the kids were banging down the door to fight the next one. They learned quick what a screaming Alarm means. This year, I told Al, I would try it again, but the kids would have to pick a number to see who goes next. They fish for blue gills while waiting for the alarms. a new member here citykidd is going to help me out and I hope Saturday I can find some more helpers. OH, and I hope my son Ben, (Ya the Kid who won the first ever NY cagi, 5 years ago) ,is going to be the Net Man for the Kids.

Good luck and be safe out there. :)

Bill
Team Packbait "On the Puff!"
"What's in your bucket ?"

#8 goosehtr

goosehtr

Uber Poster

• Forum Guest
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Great event. My kids are rounding up the neighbor kids and letting them know we are taking them all fishing!!!

Great Idea!!!

Thanks
Andy

#9 Jerome

Jerome

• Director
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

E-mail from our CAG artist, Monty Mittleman. Lucky coincidence and very cool.

Jim McKee and I have been involved in a 'take a kid fishing' (organized by champaign county forest preserve) event at homer lake for the last few years and are scheduled to be at this years event on june 26. we set up a tri-fold board of carp fishing pictures and drawings and of course we are fishing and teaching about carp fishing at the event. we can take some pictures and fwd them to you....there are usually 40-50 kids at the event.

#10 mcwrestler

mcwrestler

Mountain Top!

• Director
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

Awesome, I like how this is shaping up. Thanks Jerome!

Personal Bests:

Common - 37lbs 0oz

Koi - 13lbs 10oz
Grass Carp - 22 lbs

Always fish the snag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users