Take A Kid Carpin' (TAKC)
When: last weekend in June (June 26th and 27th)
So many carp in North America, so few carp anglers! As the St Lawrence Junior tournament clearly demonstrated many times, kids actually love carp fishing if you give them a chance. So let's give it a try in as many locations as we can during the last week-end of June. And let's try to build the next generation of carp anglers.
How to participate
To participate, simply follow the guidelines provided below. This event is entirely free for participants, CAG members or not, no registration needed.
1. Feel free to organize the type of kids-centric activity you wish. It can be as simple as inviting your nephews or your friends' kids to go fish with you. It can be a larger fishing event with tens of junior participants and multiple marshals. It can be centered on underprivileged kids, kids from a local school, young ones or older ones, a short outing or a longer one, this is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. Just... take kids carpin' the way you prefer, and this counts.
2. Take as many pictures as you can about the event, and do share the stories (or at least the pics if you don't feel like writing) on the CAG forum. While posting pics of kids with a fish, please indicate the first name of the corresponding kid (see prizes below).
3. You can have them fish the way you want, using as many rods as locally allowed, using whatever gear you like, but please teach the kids to catch carp with a single hook and to practice catch & release. Although this event is centered on Cyprinus Carpio, feel free to document incidental captures.
4. We would suggest to encourage parents & family to come, bringing some food & drinks, and be amazed at watching their kids catch a bigger freshwater fish than what they ever caught themselves. This isn't mandatory, but this will ease logistics and avoid possible disputes in case of an incident. In general, play it safe, be watchful, those kids move fast and sometimes might hurt themselves.
5. Juniors are kids 17 or less (to be consistent with CAG's definition for the big fish awards).
That's it! No more rules! Just make those kids catch a nice one!
Benefits & Prizes
Please make sure to record the names of the kids who participated, and to take & post pictures of kids with their catches. We'll try to publish all pics posted on the forum in the NACA (or at least one per kid).
Also a random draw will be associated with various prizes, check this thread for more details. Just post pics of the kids with their catch, and they will automatically be part of the draw.
Overall, this will be an entirely non competitive and free event (at least at the national level).
Edited by Jerome, 16 June 2010 - 07:28 AM.