Carp Anglers Group Forums
Jerome

Take a Kid Carpin' and prizes

Folks,

For the Take a Kid Carpin' (TAKC) event, we'd like to make it truly centered on making kids having fun catching carp, and definitely not make it competitive in any way. Still, it would be really cool to see as many pics of kids holding a carp as possible, and to motivate people to post them.

To start with, Stewart kindly agreed to publish as many of those pics as possible in the following issue of the NACA, possibly making a big collage of thumbnail pics if we have many (which I certainly hope). This requires quite some work, so many thanks to our magazine editor.

Then, we've been thinking that each pic published with a kid holding a carp they caught (one pic per kid) will be entered in a big draw, and randomly chosen winners will get some prizes.

So if you're willing to sponsor the event (as an individual, or an organization) with a gift or another (including shipping, please), please speak up on this thread, describe what gift you're offering, and we'll update this first post with a complete list! Many thanks in advance for your donations.

TAKC prizes for the draw

- CAG itself will offer 20 free CAG memberships

- The St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce will offer 3 free entries to the St Lawrence Junior tournament in August (for kids 11 and older)

- Big Carp Tackle will donate two alarm / bank stick combos

- Resistance Tackle will donate 6 bite alarms

- Monty Mittleman will offer a copy of his TAKC artwork with a personalized autograph to 10 young winners

- Canadian Carp Club in Long Sault will donate a JRC 3 lb T/C rod and an Okuma B/Runner reel

- Top-Mix USA will donate a few pounds of its new ground bait

- New World Carp will donate two $50 gift certificates

PS. if you organize a sizable local event (as opposed to take a few kids you know to fish with you), do remember to keep a way to contact those kids and to associate a name with a picture... Making them wear a name tag might be a good idea.

Edited by Jerome

I got a fast response from the St Lawrence Junior tournament guys. They'll offer 3 free entries to their tourney as prizes for the TAKC draw. Very much appreciated!

I'll get the PDF applications...

We can donate 3 entries to the Jr. Carp Tourney in August. Let me know how you would like to handle this. I can email you a PDF of the certificate and application… or I can mail you hard copies.

Ellen Nesbitt

Associate Director

St. Lawrence County

Chamber of Commerce

Awesome!

Does the person taking said kid carping have to be a CAG member?

Nope, this is open to everybody. Prizes are for the kids, not for the adults taking pictures though! :)

Thank you.

Scott, if you're taking a youngster fishing, please anchor the child to a park bench or something with a child safety harness. We see the bruisers you pull out. A 5 year old wouldn't stand a chance ! :)

The CAG BoD finalized its decision, and will offer 20 free CAG memberships to random winners of the draw. Very cool, and way to go to promote carp angling! :)

I know of several other sponsors who committed to offer more prizes, stay tuned.

Also, individual donations would be very welcome as long as you're willing to ship directly to the winners (we'll track postal addresses; I need to check my own library, I'll donate a couple of fishing books myself).

Two tackle shops told me today they'd like to donate items to the TAKC draw. Cool!

Big Carp Tackle will donate two alarm / bank stick combos. Thanks, Dave!

Resistance Tackle will donate bite alarms as well (exact number to be determined). Thanks, Andy!

Edited by Jerome

More news today.

Monty Mittleman (aka "the CAG artist") will create one of his unique humorous cartoon drawings for the TAKC. And will provide a copy with a personal autograph to several young winners of the draw. I know I would love to get one... Oh well, I'm too old! :)

Check Monty's Web site here.

Jeff Vaughan, from the Canadian Carp Club in Long Sault, generously offered prizes too. And yes, including shipping in the US.

I will donate a carp rod and Reel to the cause. It will be a JRC 3 lb T/C rod and an Okuma B/Runner reel.
Edited by Jerome

Attila Agh added to the mix of TAKC prizes for the TAKC draw. Mix as in... a few pounds of his new ground bait! :)

Please his Web site at Top-Mix USA. Thanks, Attila!

And another one!

Just received the following statement from World Classic Baits. Thanks, Magda!

World Classic Baits will donate one $50 certificate for our goods. Can be used in our online store.

As a side note, individual donations would also be very welcome (as long as you're generous enough to pay for the shipping too!). We all have books or tackle or gear that we don't use very much and which would make the day of a kid. On my side, I'll donate a couple of books.

Resistance Tackle will donate bite alarms as well (exact number to be determined). Thanks, Andy!

To my amazement, Andy told me today that he'll donate SIX bite alarms for the TAKC. And yes, shipping included. Very cool.

A special thank you to all who donated prizes and to Jerome for organizing this event. :):D:P

Ray

Guys, I will ask everyone (participants, mentors and sponsors) for a few weeks of patience, as I am in Asia for a big family trip, with very limited Internet access, so it's hard for me to sort out the prizes & the related winners.

I'll be back home by July 25th, and will finalize everything by then.

Many thanks to everybody who contributed. Much appreciated. :)

Can with have a follow up to this Jerome, or is it going to be printed in the NACA? (or did i just miss the topic)

Can with have a follow up to this Jerome, or is it going to be printed in the NACA? (or did i just miss the topic)

You'll find a small write-up and PLENTY of kids pictures in the NACA (thanks, Stewart!).

All prizes were distributed and mailed to kids, this kept me (and the various sponsors, and our membership director) quite busy, but I believe this is all completed by now. If I am not mistaken, all the kids who caught a carp during the event received at least one prize.

hey jerome how would one go about starting a takc day?i have a lake here thats got good numbers and a lot of bank access.id like to have one in the winter since theres never nothing like that around here.It would prob be quite a few kids there also.how did you go about soliciting prizes and stuff like that?

hey jerome how would one go about starting a takc day?i have a lake here thats got good numbers and a lot of bank access.id like to have one in the winter since theres never nothing like that around here.It would prob be quite a few kids there also.how did you go about soliciting prizes and stuff like that?

Hi Joe. Good to see that you're eager to work with kids.

I'm planning to run a second edition of the TAKC end of June 2011. So if you were to be part of it, all you have to do is to organize the local event and take good care of the kids, and I'll do the work of lining up sponsors & prizes at the national level.

Now if you want to do something in the winter, then you have to contact the various carp tackle shops (just go to their Web site) and see if they are willing to provide some donations for your local event. By all means, give it a try, but you have to be aware that tackle shops are under increasing pressure to provide such donations, they receive a ton of requests like that, and this has to make some business sense to them to do such investment. So... it might be hard for you to get something. Now if you go after local sponsors, you will probably have a better chance (local general purpose tackle shops, as well as non-fishing-related local shops, games, movie tickets or anything that make kids tick). In any case, this is quite some work. Still, don't be discouraged, the smile of a kid holding their first carp is worth many hours of preparation work.

Frankly, I think it would be simpler and more effective for everybody to have you part of the national event, end of June, if that is feasible.