Carp Anglers Group Forums

"The Dixon Carp Thing" Family Carp derby

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest cornball

"THE DIXON CARP THING", Family Carp Derby

I have been trying for several years to resurect the Dixon Carp Derby and here it is. I apologize for the lack of flair this post has but don't worry, we are saving the best for the event, and look for alot to happen between now and the end of August. My idea has always been to make the local events more carp friendly, and this event should be pretty good. Anyone wanting to help CAG spread it's doctrine should get in touch with me. Although this is an event I am managing personaly, CAG will have a presence with a booth and members acting as stewards and officials if they would like too, and the pro event will require you be a member. Hopefully the event will bring people to fish a great body of water,the Rock River and experience a real part of Illinois History,Dixon Illinois. With the rebuilding of the River Walk, the town is looking forward to embracing all who come. So put on your calender and let the kids know!!!

WHAT:

A two day catch and release carp Derby for everyone. There will be prizes for both boys and girls catagories, and also prizes and cash for the top 10-20 biggest carp caught. Will have room for up to 450 people. This in not a pegged event so play nice.

WHEN:

Saturday August 28th from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and again on Sunday 29th from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

WHERE:

Both the north and south sides of the River along the downtown riverfront parks below the Dixon Dam.

HOW MUCH:

$12.00 for adults, $5.00 for kids 13 and under (participants entered as kids will only be elegable for kids prizes)

HOW CAN I ENTER:

Northern Illinois bait shops in the thext few weeks will have entrys, Wacker Baits has offered to set up internet sign-up on their site (give us a couple of weeks), You can register the days before or morning of at the event location. And some Illinois fishing magazines will have sign-ups in the August issues.

WHAT COULD I WIN!!!

Right now there is $1,000 in cash sponsored by DIXON TOURISM, and The CITY OF DIXON. And hundreds of dollars in tackle prizes. And kids prizes gallore. The current prize totals are BEFORE anyone has entered. As entry's come in and more sponsors get involved we will post the new totals.........KEEP CHECKING BACK!!!!!

WHAT IF I WANT SOMETHING BIGGER!!!!

At the same time this event takes place, a two man team event will be taking place above the Dixon Dam at a place yet to be disclosed. CASH prizes will be in the THOUSANDS of $$$$$$. And this overnight event will be top 6 or 8 fish total weights. Look for the other thread to be started soon.

WHERE IS DIXON?

It in about 90 miles west, southwest of Chicago Illinois. ( about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from most of Chicago land, 45 min, from Rockford. There is ample motel and hotel space as well as camping near by. I will try to get Derby discounts and post them as I have them to post.

CAN I HELP?

YES!! pm me. Roving weigh stewards, judges, helpers (for the less skilled) and Membership drive personel for the CAG booth would be great. I have some ideas on how to thank those who help, but let me know your ideas if you volenteer.

SPONSORS:

This is a family event that in the past has had hundreds of participants each year, its a good place to be seen, a great group of potential customers, and local enough that you don't need to be just a tackle company. And any help in prizes or as stewards would be great!!!

FOOD?

Ohh!! Yeah!! Lots of good places to eat, and hopefully some roving food vendors at the event.

AWARDS:

Will share a short ceremony with the pro event after the 2:00 closing. Location will be at the River Front Pagoda.

RULES:

1) This event is catch and release and all fish must be released.

2) Only common, mirror, and leather skin carp will count (german carp)

3) Cash prizes for biggtest 10 carp and prizes for the 11th-20th biggest carp caught by adults.

Prizes for Biggest five boys, and Prizes for biggest five girls.

4) NO BOATS! NO WADING! NO SWIMING! This is a shore fishing event.Do not enter the water at any time.

5) Be mindful of other anglers and try not to crowd them. This is an open event, so expect other anglers and conduct yourself in a courteous and sportsmanlike manner.

6) Two rods per angler (max) at any time , one hook per rod, and NO TREBLE HOOKS!!!

7) WEIGHING IN FISH: Roving judges with matched scales (pounds and ounces) will weigh your fish as they are caught.

Upon zero-ing out the scale and weigh sling the fish will be weighed and you will sign-off on the weight and time.

At this time the fish will be released after pictures if desired. All fish, including non-carp must be released.

NO STRINGERS ALLOWED, FISH SACKS ARE AVAILABLE ***

8) In the event of a tie, the higher prize goes to the first to register their fish. In the event of a tie for 20th place, there will be two prizes.In the event of a tie both size and time the two anglers will split the two prizes equally.

9) You must abide by the rules of this derby as well as all applicable state, county, and local laws. Failure to do so

will result in your disqualification.

10) You must have a valid Illinois Fishing Liscence if you are over 16 years old.

11) No Fish sharing, if you didn't catch it ....it don't count. Kids may gain assistance from adults in landing their fish. And anyone can help net your fish.

12) Rulings of the judges AND DERBY DIRECTOR are final!

That's all the time I have now, I will post more later. Poster and entrys are being worked on as I speak. I will also be announcing a Fish-In/Meet-In for out there as soon as I can find a free weekend so people can get a taste of what Carp Fishing in the Rock is like. Talk to you soon...........Larry.

Edited by cornball

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cornball

Derby sign-up locations: as of 7/11/10

Dixon Tourism Center (Dixon, Illinois)

Dixon Parks Department Office (Dixon, Illinois)

Bunny's Bait and Tackle (Dixon, Illinois)

Kodiak Sports (Dixon, Illinois)

Wacker Baits (Broadveiw, Illinois)

Anglers International resources (Palatine, Illinois)

Barrington Deck and Fence (Fox River Grove, Illinois)

T.J.'s Bait and Canoes (Oregon, Illinois)

• 1 month later...
Guest cornball

Steve Sarley, Outdoors writer for the Northwest Herald does a radio show on 560am and will have me on Sunday at 5:am talking about both the derby and the tournament. Also, here is the press release that went out.......Feel free to post it on other forums if you want.

CARP FISHING NOW

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PHONE: (847) 462-9526

CELL: (239) 246-2742

E-mail: carpfishingnow@yahoo.com

DIXON CARP DERBY

RETURNS WITH A SPLASH

The weekend of August 27th -the 29th, 2010. will see the return of carp fishing to the Rock River with a "DIXON FAMILY CARP DERBY" and the "FIGHTING ROUGHFISH'S" Illinois carp championship.

Carp Fishing Now with the help of the City of Dixon, Dixon Tourism, and the Dixon Parks Department will be holding a Catch and Release family style carp derby open to the public. People of all ages are welcome, children must be accompanied by an adult. Cost is $12 for Adults and $5 for children under 14. There will be cash and/or prizes for the 20 largest carp caught as well as for the top five for the girls and top five boys catagory. Currently there is a total of over $2,000.00 in cash and prizes to be awarded.

The hope is to give people a chance to win big, enjoy the Dixon Downtown and Parks and get people to experience the majesty of the Rock River.

Check in is at Page Park at the Page Park Pavillion in Dixon Illinois and will be open at 6am on Saturday August 28th, 2010. All who attend will need to sign in before starting to fish. The actual fishing schedule is 8am to 4pm Saturday August 28th, and 8am to 2pm August 29th, followed by the awarding of prizes at 3pm at the Page Park Pavillion. You do not need to fish the entire time to quality for prizes.

There will be demonstrations of new carp fishing methods as well as how to "Helpers" to give you moral support and fishing advice if you need it. And for those who want to see a "REEL" spectacle, there will be a 26 hour Professional Style Carp Tournament starting at 10am at Lowell Park in Dixon, Illinois. Here spectators will be able to walk up to the Two Man Teams of Shore anglers and see why Carp Fishing in Europe is as big as Bass fishing in the USA, truly something you haven't seen before and won't forget.

For more information stop by Dixon Tourism, or contact Larry at carpfishingnow@yahoo.com .

You can get the rules, applications and sign up for the Derby at Kodiak Sports and Bunny's Bait shop in Dixon, Il. , T&J's Bait in Oregon, Ill., Gander Mountain in Rockford, Ill., Anglers International Resources in Palatine, Ill. , Carp Fishing Now in Fox River Grove, Ill. or at any time the during the event at Page Park in Dixon. This Year the Carp Derby Returns!!!! .

Edited by cornball

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cornball

Not to be outdone by the pro's.... the anglers at the Dixon family Carp Derby have been on fire!!!! With a bout 30-45 anglers showing for the Saturday portion of the event, the total fish caught is well over 90 fish with the largest at 10-0 even, and dozens over 6 pounds alot of kids and adults have broke their personal bests a number of times. The general mood has been fun and the local anglers have been really happy to see the event come back. And with any event we have seen a number get so hooked that they become one of us....and thats a great thing.

Current op ten fish for the adults:

10-0

9-4

9-1

8-14

8-13

7-15

7-14

7-13

7-13

7-10

Also their has been a battle for the Boys division that went on all day between two boys anf the lead changed 9 times with the current biggest at 7-5

I'd like to thank CAG members Robert and Fred for coming out to help, my friends Bill,Chris and Pat for bringing out the RV,. And the Chione brothers for being weigh stewards instead of fishing ( and I welcome them as new CAG members) and last thanks to Ed (edward in the CAG site) for all the help and pushing nhe did to get people here.......

More to follow......lets hope the Pro's get as lucky tonight as the derby anglers did today!!