Carp Anglers Group Forums

"THE FIGHTING ROUGHFISH'S" Illinois Carp Championship

Guest THE BIG WORM

Guest cornball
"THE FIGHTING ROUGHFISH'S" Illinois Carp Championship

This is the other event happening in Dixon to coincide with "The Dixon Carp Thing" Family Carp Derby. The joined events where an idea I thought might give Illinois anglers an overnight event that wouldn't be to far or cost to much. The other reason was to keep CAG members from being Ringers in the Family Event :):D:P But seriously, I hope that everyone can find a level of comfort and competetiveness that meets their needs and most important everyone has fun, and that familys can come out and enjoy Dixon, the Events and all that Illinois has to offer.....

WHAT:

This is a 26 hour two man team event. The areas to be fished will be announced later. All are park areas with easy bank access on the Rock River. We have secured the overnight arrangements....fires should be allowed in fire pits only. Tent and Bivy use is o.k. And almost all the pegs areless than 50 yards from parking. Facilitys and grills are nearby. And this is the first time the Dixon Parks Department has opened these areas for over nights and I would like to thank them for their hospitality.

WHEN:

August 27th pegs will be open for inspection. No Fishing after noon August 24th.
August 28th (Saturday) 7:00 am Peg Draw at River Pavillion.
9:00 am Can plumb, spod, and bait up. (Use good Judgement)
10:00 am Lines in fishing starts.
August 28th (Sunday) 12:00 noon Fishing Ends all lines out ( fish must be in at 12:oo to count)
3:00 pm Prize awards at the River Pavillion, along with Derby Awards

FORMAT AND PRIZES:

There will be FIRST, SECOND,THIRD,FOURTH, AND FIFTH place payouts for the Biggest "8" fish caught by each team. And a Cash prize for the biggest fish caught by a team. We will have stewards during the day and will use a neighboring team "call-in" at night . Should your two neighbors fall asleep be preparred to sack your fish properly. Please bring a quality scale so you can qualify your fish before allerting stewards or sacking them.

Cash Prize pool was at $1,500 for this event with no-one entered. As each team enters the prize amount will go up.
and there are prize sponsorships already coming in.
Payout as of 6/19/10 With 1 (one team entered)***
1st place $660
2nd place $330
3rd Place $245
4th place $165
5th place $85
Big Fish $165
*** Sponsored winner of the Wisconsin Carp Championship/Jeramie Maseman Big Mirror Award***

HOW CAN I ENTER

Cost per Team is $200 and forms will be available here soon and at Northern Illinois Tackle Shops, as well as Wacker Bait and Tackle. It will be first come first saved with the exception if 8 spaces that will be available to the winners of other Illinois events. The first of which is the Virden Carp event. Winners of those events will get a get a $50.00 discount on their entry to this event.
CAG Membership is required for a member of the team.

WHAT IS THE WATER LIKE?

They don't call it the Rock for nothing! There are some rocks, lots of silt and sand patches, average distance accross is 400 yards, average depth is 12'-14' with holes past 25'. Current is mild. There will be some boats during the day so bring your back leads. LOTS OF CARP!!! This is a numbers river and there are some suprisingly large fish at night. And there is always the chance of a 60# + Flathead Catfish waking you from your slumber. (All non carp must be returned alive. This is a catch and release tournament).

THE TOWN:

The City of Dixon, Dixon Tourism, Mayor Jim Burke and the Dixon Parks Department have helped to make all this possible. For three years I hounded them to bring back the Derby and they went over and above by also allowing us to have the overnight event for the euro-style anglers as well. They have embraced many a catfishermen and women with local events for years and they hope this one to be a recurring event. I hope some of you will seize this opportunity to have a good time, and to do something new in a really cool place.......I'd fish it myself, but the deal was if they helped out I had to do all the work.

Anyone wanting to register, get more info or to participate in any other way cam pm me here or e-mail me at carpfishingnow@yahoo.com

The Fighting Roughfish

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys could get into this event a lot cheaper if you first fish the VCRC IL Carp Champpionship Qualifier. The winner is guaranteed a $50 reduction for Larry's event. Also, you will most likely win enough cash to pay the entry for the Fighting Rough Fish IL Carp Championship Tournament.

Hey Beavis just remember you are fishing against the Illinois Net Boys. Fish-On Bill

hmmmmmmmmmmm man i would love to beat the teacher.....in a major tourney :) may the best peg draw win :D i got u hodge :P in my sights

thx beavis :)

Edited by bailybird

Guest cornball

Eleven teams in, five trying to find partners/get off work, three teams are undecided as wether to fish or steward. Posters going up end of next week, applications and rules will be out as well. Expect more teams once the advertising hits.

I was wondering exactly what is going on Friday August 27th as there is nothing stated on the description of the event. The event does not start until Saturday morning, but yet it is advertised as the 27th, 28th, and 29th. Is there a welcoming party or something else planned on Friday. Lookout for the Illinois Net Boys. Fish-On Bill

Guest cornball
I was wondering exactly what is going on Friday August 27th as there is nothing stated on the description of the event. The event does not start until Saturday morning, but yet it is advertised as the 27th, 28th, and 29th. Is there a welcoming party or something else planned on Friday. Lookout for the Illinois Net Boys. Fish-On Bill

Bill, I will be out there all day Friday doing sign up and check in for the derby. I'm trying to get some vendors for booths at the check in, also working with some local restraunts. Would be nice to have some demonstrations going on to get more intrest in the event. This will be happening at the Paige Park Pavillion below the dam (so it is NOT in the "no-fish" zone for the Championship) I might even get the Media out there that day. I have already had a few bars wanting to host a Carp Party, but I am holding out for somewhere with food. With the posters going up this weekend thereis starting to be more intrest, and I am hoping that will translate into more involvement by local business. I am also hoping for a few more people willing to help out so if your not planning to fish, but you want to hang out, get a hold of me because we (stewards and staff) can also camp out by the pro-event and maybe we'll have a cook out as we have the Pavillion there as well. So to answer your question yes, but I don't know what it will be yet........alot of the people who offered to help early on have entered the event so I can't have them help with the tournament preperations, but if someone would like to help with a meet-n-great, or to staff the CAG booth PM me.

Rock River report....with a couple of river tournaments on the horizon, I pulled off my gravel pits and local lakes to start hitting the Rock. Until last week, it's been a bit high & muddy. I fished it most of last week, the weekend, and again this morning. I took 12 fish (11 common & 1 buffalo) today. The numbers have been quite good all week but the size hasn't been anything for bragging rights. Largest this morning was a bit over 14#. All of the fishing has been on various City of Rockford public access spots but I hope to work down to Dixon in the next week or two. Got to get those hogs trained for the Dixon tournament if we're going to stand a chance against all the heavyweight competition!!

Where is the official sign-up form? I also heard of a possible IL meeting on July 24th. Here is an idea if there is going to be a meeting how about Dixon as the location and anglers could try out the water there. Fish-On Bill

Edited by Bill Hodge

Guest cornball

Work is a little crazy so I haven't had time to plan anything fancy, but I will be out there Saturday putting up posters and meeting with local businesses. I'll be out about 8:00 at Lowell park. See you then.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cornball

Anyone who has contacted me already, I have set aside space for you. Currently there are 14 teams which have given verbal or e-mail commitments to show. I was working on the rules and applications last night, I will have them done this weekend and will get them to Paul. I have to apologize for the delay. Because the City, Tourism, and the Park district are going all out for the tournament, I have been putting alot of my time into the derby portion of the event to get as many people as I can to come out to Dixon as thanks to them for their help. I will try to balance my time a little better.

It would be a good idea to get some sort of deposit/payment just to make sure my totals are right and so I don't accidently turn someone away as we get close to capacity. Any balances would need to be cash before the event start.

Still trying to get more sponsors, and people wanting to steward. The Parks department has given us a two pavillions and a building to use for Fri-Sun so if people wanted to help out they could camp for free and maybe we could BBQ. I know its too late to change things this year, but next year I think i will have the Tournament Thurs-Friday, and offer a discount for those who will steward for the derby. Then turn the Friday and Saturday night into a kind or carp fishing jamboree.

I know everyone is going to the Illinois this weekend, and Aug. 8&9 are both Belvidere and Montomery. So I may shoot for the 14th or 15th for a fish in if nothing else is going on.

Anyone who has contacted me already, I have set aside space for you. Currently there are 14 teams which have given verbal or e-mail commitments to show. I was working on the rules and applications last night, I will have them done this weekend and will get them to Paul. I have to apologize for the delay. Because the City, Tourism, and the Park district are going all out for the tournament, I have been putting alot of my time into the derby portion of the event to get as many people as I can to come out to Dixon as thanks to them for their help. I will try to balance my time a little better.

It would be a good idea to get some sort of deposit/payment just to make sure my totals are right and so I don't accidently turn someone away as we get close to capacity. Any balances would need to be cash before the event start.

Still trying to get more sponsors, and people wanting to steward. The Parks department has given us a two pavillions and a building to use for Fri-Sun so if people wanted to help out they could camp for free and maybe we could BBQ. I know its too late to change things this year, but next year I think i will have the Tournament Thurs-Friday, and offer a discount for those who will steward for the derby. Then turn the Friday and Saturday night into a kind or carp fishing jamboree.

I know everyone is going to the Illinois this weekend, and Aug. 8&9 are both Belvidere and Montomery. So I may shoot for the 14th or 15th for a fish in if nothing else is going on.

thax larry for the update :)