Carp Anglers Group Forums
Clay34

fly tying scraps

After tying up some smallmouth flies I looked in my waste basket and found some small pieces of chamois left over from the crawfish patterns that I was trying. While San Juan Worms are a very successful pattern for many carp, I have never done well on them, probably for lack of confidence in the patterns that I have tried. Yesterday I made up some chamois sjw inspired flies and they did well. The first was just a dubbed nymph style pattern with a little chamois tail. The second was more of a true knock off on a sjw pattern.

Both of these patterns the fish reacted to quickly when some other patterns were totally ignored.

Rick

post-3296-1280942256.jpg

post-3296-1280942304.jpg

Guest jimmadsen

WOW - nice flies!

I'm new to Carping (still have yet to catch my first) so seeing flies is a big help.

Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the board Jim and welcome to fly fishing for carp. I'm going to give you just two links to audio programs. If you are serious about learning these are some of the best presentations on this game that I have seen for FREE on line.

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/brad/brad.cfm

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers...ry-reynolds.cfm

Listen very closely to those two men, they literally wrote the book "Carp on the fly"

If fly patterns interrest you, at the top of the fly fishing section there is a "sticky" which shares some effective patterns - check it out.

Rick

Guest jimmadsen

Hey thanks, Clay!

Yeah - saw that post at the top - but it's also nice to hear from someone who is actively using a pattern and how they fish it.

I'm going to spend time in the car over the next two days so I'm going to burn those pod casts to CD and take them with me - thanks for sharing!

I have a pond nearby that is REALLY weedy but has a few carp in it so I'm going to try and see if I can't hook up with one of those rascals. Based on all the posts I've read, it should be the ride of my life!

Hey thanks, Clay!

Yeah - saw that post at the top - but it's also nice to hear from someone who is actively using a pattern and how they fish it.

I'm going to spend time in the car over the next two days so I'm going to burn those pod casts to CD and take them with me - thanks for sharing!

I have a pond nearby that is REALLY weedy but has a few carp in it so I'm going to try and see if I can't hook up with one of those rascals. Based on all the posts I've read, it should be the ride of my life!

The podcasts should be a grand primer Jim. Let us know if you have any specific questions and tell us how your pond adventure went.

That's what I like to see. The making of something out of what others deem as trash. Simple and effedctive. WTG! Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Guest Lee Baermann

Rick, we use to have contests on the beach where the fly you used had to be tied with whatever was left on your tying bench. Luckily surf perch are overly aggressive. because some of the flues were hideous. Good for you.

I not only use scraps but pick up bird feathers at the park and in the backyard. They make great tails and wing cases for nymphs.

Guest phonebush

All,

Have I told you I don't belong here in flyrod carping section. Well, as always, I lie a little. Once, maybe even two or three times, on the Spring River in Arkansas (fed by Mammoth Springs right across the state line) carp were plentiful. But they were only eating ONE thing. Under the old bridges that went across the river is the roosting area for lot of birds. These carp were taking bird chit as soon as it hit the water. I carefully crafted the bird chit pattern out of a styrofoam cup bottom I found on the bank, took a magic marker and put a black spot in one corner and a yellow highlighter marker in the other. Seems to me it took about a BB shot to keep the marker side down. I think I was 11 for 11 before I finely missed one (that's my story and I'm stickin to it). Ohh, and my "flyrod" was a very soft 8 or 8.5 ft Finwick steelhead rod.

Does that story count in flyrod carping? I fished it like a flyrod.

Phone

Edit: I wasn't exactly clear. The carp would not take this pattern if it landed upside down.

Edited by phonebush

All,

Have I told you I don't belong here in flyrod carping section. Well, as always, I lie a little. Once, maybe even two or three times, on the Spring River in Arkansas (fed by Mammoth Springs right across the state line) carp were plentiful. But they were only eating ONE thing. Under the old bridges that went across the river is the roosting area for lot of birds. These carp were taking bird chit as soon as it hit the water. I carefully crafted the bird chit pattern out of a styrofoam cup bottom I found on the bank, took a magic marker and put a black spot in one corner and a yellow highlighter marker in the other. Seems to me it took about a BB shot to keep the marker side down. I think I was 11 for 11 before I finely missed one (that's my story and I'm stickin to it). Ohh, and my "flyrod" was a very soft 8 or 8.5 ft Finwick steelhead rod.

Does that story count in flyrod carping? I fished it like a flyrod.

Phone

Edit: I wasn't exactly clear. The carp would not take this pattern if it landed upside down.

Phone I always enjoy your contributions and I think that you fit in nicely with the group. Now if I take one of my expensive fly rods with fancy fly line but the technique that I use could easily be done with a cane pole and a section of mono is that considered fly fishing? I'd say yes. Many of use here have dappled before with expensive equipment.