Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
AF Bob

Report on 2010 JR Carp Tournament

We just finished the Junior Carp Tournament here on the banks of the Saint Lawrence River. It was a great event and it showed on the faces of all the kids that fished! There was over a ton of carp caught with a few high 20s, a 30 and a 34 lb pound brute. I think this is a wonderful event that maybe in danger of ending. Please see notes:

The Good stuff :D

91 kids came to fish and have fun on the ST Lawrence River

Many Kids caught their first carp

Kids and parents helped each other on the bank

New friends were made

60 plus % of the kids caught carp

Marshals assiting all the kids that asked, with casting, netting and spoding

The funds raised helped the local area

Very nice Award Ceremony (bad Jokes) lol

Fun dance for the kids

Great gifts donated for the event

Parents being good mentors and helping with the setting up of tackle

Great support from the local towns

Great fish-in for the Marshals on Sunday in Waddington

The bad Stuff :)

CAG attendance at an all time low

Kids attendance was low

Only one CAG member showed at the planning meetings

Some parents not allowing kids to cast or spod (said it would hurt their chance of winning money)

Some parents fighting with marshals over what they though were vague rules

One 14 year old child had 3 adults with them to do his spoding

Parents wanting to leave because they felt some kids had an unfair advantage and help from other experienced carp anglers

Some anglers fished out of other anglers pegs during lunch break and caught fish

No Carp School

Some marshals fail to enforce the rules (Lack of experience)

Many complaints about to much adult involement with fishing/spoding

The bottom line is this is a fun event for kids, adults can fish and be a mentor but the focuse should be on the kids having fun and learning about our sport. The money should not be the main focus for attending. We need to change the mind set that has creep into this event. We will need advice and help from our CAG members to run this event better in 2011. These kids are the future of Carp fishing and we need to help this event grows and gets better.

Thanks

AF Bob

Bob, great event and nice to see you again (just in passing and you were going 100 mph!) :)

My son Austin (TAKC contestant and winner of entry) was able to bring 2 to the bank...blanked 1st day but rebounded with 1 15 minutes into day 2 and again with 15 minutes remaining in tourney--21 and 19 I believe.

Here is the 21 and change

post-3665-1282755112.jpg

I heard abouth the good and the bad....

and spoke with the proprietor of Nature's Tackle Sunday am...

Suggestions for a more OPEN and enjoyable tourney...

Live peg draw--probably before the dance so there is transparency with the tournement and no one can say all the local kids "somehow" always end up in fishy pegs.

Have it parents can help or parents cannot help--one way or the other and stick to it, that includes rod handling and spodding.

Do NOT prebait with tons of corn...maybe 1/4 bucket of corn on thursday night per peg and then stop

everyone dumps enough corn in on friday anyway.

Would like to see 2 rods per kid (but understand if the fishing is good, lots of tangles can and will happen) --thats why this is last.

I only mention the pre-baiting because of the runing joke--we always catch good numbers of fish sunday morning AFTER the tournement at our campsite at coles creek. We toss in @ 1/4 bucket of corn on saturday night and set in while we pack up Sunday morning.

Here is the biggest from our Sunday morning session #26. It was still early and the rest of the crew was still snoozing.

post-3665-1282755206.jpg

and another in the 20s...

post-3665-1282755229.jpg

Then the rains really came and we ended our session early landing just 6. But it is the same every year...

So if you want to bring POSITIVE suggestions to the committee's table, those are mine.

Bob, great event and nice to see you again (just in passing and you were going 100 mph!) :)

My son Austin (TAKC contestant and winner of entry) was able to bring 2 to the bank...blanked 1st day but rebounded with 1 15 minutes into day 2 and again with 15 minutes remaining in tourney--21 and 19 I believe.

Here is the 21 and change

post-3665-1282755112.jpg

I heard abouth the good and the bad....

and spoke with the proprietor of Nature's Tackle Sunday am...

Suggestions for a more OPEN and enjoyable tourney...

Live peg draw--probably before the dance so there is transparency with the tournement and no one can say all the local kids "somehow" always end up in fishy pegs.

Have it parents can help or parents cannot help--one way or the other and stick to it, that includes rod handling and spodding.

Do NOT prebait with tons of corn...maybe 1/4 bucket of corn on thursday night per peg and then stop

everyone dumps enough corn in on friday anyway.

Would like to see 2 rods per kid (but understand if the fishing is good, lots of tangles can and will happen) --thats why this is last.

I only mention the pre-baiting because of the runing joke--we always catch good numbers of fish sunday morning AFTER the tournement at our campsite at coles creek. We toss in @ 1/4 bucket of corn on saturday night and set in while we pack up Sunday morning.

Here is the biggest from our Sunday morning session #26. It was still early and the rest of the crew was still snoozing.

post-3665-1282755206.jpg

and another in the 20s...

post-3665-1282755229.jpg

Then the rains really came and we ended our session early landing just 6. But it is the same every year...

So if you want to bring POSITIVE suggestions to the committee's table, those are mine.

Thanks for the good advice! There was a plan for prebaiting but it wasnt followed in Ogdensburg. They put in too much corn on the last night instead of doing a little corn over a few days. That wont happen again. The rules will be written better and parents will be mentors and assit with the setting up tackle. They will not spod, net or cast. Marshals will help the anglers with those tasks. It will be a fun kids event and we will make it as fair as possible across the board.

Glad you Caught

Bob

Hey Bob,

Sorry I haven't called you back yet. As far as CAG involvement, I don't recall any real outreach like there had been in previous years. Last time I asked the chamber to approach me/CAG in the planning phase for 2010, but I never heard a peep.

AFBOB

Thanks for soliciting inputs, that's what we talked about at Nature's Tackle....needless to say, we were pegged in Ogdensburg both days, shady roller day 1 and weed house bay day 2.

Still one the most enjoyable tourneys around, watching kids have fun (more runs would be nice) and talking with parents on how they hooked their kids on fishing are some of the most enjoyable aspects of the event.

Thanks for your suppport in all the St Lawrence events.

Look forward to a few more if time permits (and if the tent and equipment will ever dry out :) !

Edited by Baustin

Great stuff Bob, always great to have a large kids event like this, sorry to hear about your problems, But use them to make the next even better.

Good stuff

Kev

Hey Bob/guys, this was my kids 3rd year fishing the tourny,.. .we arrived at Coles on the tuesday and camped till Sunday morn... soon after we arrived my older son became ill and wasn't feeling well for the entire trip ..the poor bugger

Unfortunately they didn't catch a lot of fish either ...but all n all they still enjoyed the trip and want to return next year !!

with regard to improving things for future years... I think the Chamber needs to

A, get CAG involved ..( even if they promoted the event on the forum prior to it happening) it can only help

B, make the rules clear before the tournament starts ( I think that is what upset people the most was finding out several hrs into the SECOND day that there was a change )

C, no adults allowed to fish the Jr tourny.. The reason I say this is if eg; I'm fishing with my kids I could easily spod/bait their swims while baiting "my swim"

Btw, we broke dn camp and packed everything up on Sunday morning, just before the rain started and drove thru heavy rain for 10hrs (normally it takes 7hrs :) )

Val

PS.. will add some pics later

PPs,.. Bob.. did you and the guys fish on Sunday ??.. any luck?

An Osprey being successful at Wheat house bay (day one )

post-243-1282874772.jpg

connor casting

post-243-1282874905.jpg

Keenan getting ready

post-243-1282874997.jpg

Keenan letting it rip

post-243-1282875068.jpg

Mid teen in the afternoon

post-243-1282875154.jpg

Connor got this one 10mins after the bell (20lbs)

post-243-1282875329.jpg

We had a good time here,.. met a bunch of nice people !!

Near the end of the day one of the Marshals family showed up with a tray of "Mac & cheese" which they shared with us.. man was it good !!!... that was followed up with desert called "pretzel salad".. it sounds weird.. but it was delicius!!

Big thank you to all the Marshals for your help :)

Day two saw us at "Shade Roller"... a new spot behind some buildings... over the course of the day some nice fish were caught including several 20s to 29+

The boys had a fish each,.. Connor was first in the early afternoon.

Midteen for Connor

post-243-1282877552.jpg

Keenan was in a while later....It was pretty cool ,as the alarm screamed off, a guy (can't remember his name..AFB might know who he is) was doing a fishing show and captured it all on camera.

Keenan playing a fish while being filmed and interviewed

post-243-1282876824.jpg

post-243-1282877379.jpg

... some of the familys from the day before were here too .. all great people !

Just like wheathouse.. the marshals here were super... Thanks guys !

thanks for all of your hard work Bob, i completely understand the good and the bad. I will be using your experience as a stepping stone for my kids fish events i am planning for Austin this spring

Thanks for all the great input. I'm so glad, when I see these pictures and the Kids having so much fun. I know that next year the event will be better because we will make the changes that need to be made and we will get our CAG members back envolved! About 11 of us fished in Waddington on Sunday. It was windy and rainy but we did manage to land a few few fish. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks Again

Hey Bob,

Sorry I haven't called you back yet. As far as CAG involvement, I don't recall any real outreach like there had been in previous years. Last time I asked the chamber to approach me/CAG in the planning phase for 2010, but I never heard a peep.

The Chamber and I dropped the ball on getting the word out to CAG and to kids nation wide. I was told it was being done by someone elese but I didnt follow up to make sure it was. I know that with CAGs help this will become the best Kids event in the country. I would love too see at least two CAG members at each fishing area and I would also like to see the Carp school taught by our members again. Plan now to attend next years event. It is a great place to spend a few days with your family and friends.

Bob

Sign in to follow this