Carp Anglers Group Forums
hammercarp

What kind of cat is this?

This fish was caught in St. Catharines Ontario could I get some help identifying it.

post-2981-1285017005.jpg

Looks like a variety of bullhead to me as well. On a side note I despise them. Make great flathead catfish bait though. They live forever with a hook through them.

That one there would be for a moster flat, I prefer them a bit smaller.

Looks like a Brown Bullhead, Yellows are more solid yellow/gold, and I am not sure about Black Bullhead so that could be a possibility although unlikely because the Adipose Fin touches the back whereas a Black Bullheads Adipose Fin rises up.

Those things get so annoying when you target Channel Cats, they even eat my Bread and Layer Feed while Carp fishing certain areas.

Flatheads have a few more rays on their dorsal fin. Fins and ray count are the best ways to determine one species from another (I've never seen a Flathead).

Edited by Drew

macfish here. It looks like some type of bullhead to me also. My guess is either black, brown or yellow bullhead with the yellow being least likely just by its color and brown bullhead being the most likely. In the black bullhead the back edge of the pectoral fins/spines have no teeth or serrations on them. (Be very careful when checking these. Bullheads are better at finning you than most cats and their fins are sharp like hypodermic needles and fin wounds feel like bee stings, commonly swell up and sometimes get infected.) Both brown and yellow bullheads have mottled patterns of color on their bodies and serrations on their pectoral fins/spines. Brown bullheads have slightly forked tails. Yellow bullheads have rounded tails which look somewhat like the tail of a flathead catfish. Bullheads are good to eat although if they come from very muddy water they may have a muddy or less appealing taste. I caught some in a lake a number of years ago in Northern Wisconsin close to Hayward where the water was clear and the bottom of the lake visible up to ten feet down. I believe they were black or brown bullheads and the largest was about a pound and a half. They were mighty fine eating! Jonathan

black bullhead: no serrations on pectoral fin/spine; dark-colored or spotted chin barbels

brown bullhead: serrations on pectoral fin/spine; dark chin barbels; anal fin 20-24 rays; tail very slightly forkd

yellow bullhead: serrations on pectoral fin/spine; light or white chin barbels; anal fin 23-27 rays; rounded tail

From A.J. McClane (editor) Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of North America, published by Holt, Rhinehart and Winston, Inc., 1978

P.S. That is not a flathead catfish. The head is the wrong shape and not large enough in reference to the rest of the body and most important the tail shape is totally wrong. Flatheads have a rounded tail shape, not forked as in the pictured fish. Nice looking fish!

Edited by macfish

Definitely a Brown Bullhead, but on the lean side. My spots are loaded with them.

macfish here. One thing about lipping a fish is that is generally it gives better control of the fish. When you've got one that has three sets of sharp, nasty pincushions (pectoral and dorsal fins) it isn't such a bad hold, at least with a fish that small. When they're larger and say a flathead I keep my hands out of their mouths unless I have gloves on. They have very small but sharp teeth and can tear up fingers and skin quickly. When I'm holding larger cats shy of 10lb. I'll often actually hold them upside down, that is I have my palm spread across their stomach (instead of my palm across their back) and then finger and thumb straddling their pectoral fins with their tail facing down toward my elbow. That gives me more control and they're not as able to fin me. Jonathan

I could tell you one thing...... You'd never see me lippin a Catfish like a Bass.

Amen! I tried that with a good-sized Channel Cat last year because I could not get ahold of it without getting jabbed by those fin spines. (It wouldn't SIT STILL!) So, I lipped it to get the hook out. Ended up with a sore and BLOODY hand by the time it was all over! :D

This little guy, by the way, is a bullhead, probably a Brown. Just ask Mr. Fitzz; he should know all about them. :)

Edited by Anna Werner

Sounds like a technique I need to practice :) , I've always had my palm on the back as I do with Bluegill even, the key is to slide your hand down towards the tail as you apply pressure. I did finally get a good scratch on my palm (still fresh) about four days ago, I was reaching down to pick one up to toss it up the bank a little higher (my buddy down the bank from me loves Catfish) and it decided to get startled when my hand got close and its pectoral got me good enough, I actually just noticed a painful blister right above the scratch this morning, it feels better since I popped it.

I actually just noticed a painful blister right above the scratch this morning, it feels better since I popped it.

:P

Try getting a jab right between the fingers! :) Dad's been trying to train me on Catfish handling for years; I'm just not good at it ever since I got the between-the-fingers jab. :):D

The reason I asked is because it was the fish was ID'd as a flathead by a guy that actually has caught some in Dakota. The catfish in the Niagara area can be kinda funny looking. Here is a picture of a channel cat taken out a local creek there. This is typical of cats from that water.

post-2981-1285035886.jpg

Sounds like a technique I need to practice :) , I've always had my palm on the back as I do with Bluegill even, the key is to slide your hand down towards the tail as you apply pressure. I did finally get a good scratch on my palm (still fresh) about four days ago, I was reaching down to pick one up to toss it up the bank a little higher (my buddy down the bank from me loves Catfish) and it decided to get startled when my hand got close and its pectoral got me good enough, I actually just noticed a painful blister right above the scratch this morning, it feels better since I popped it.

It may be an old fisherman's tale, but I was told if you rub some of the slime coat from the catfish into the wound immediately it wards off pain and infection (since they poke each other but don't get sick). When I remember to do this the wounds don't get infected or even sore. So either it works or I just have a good immune system? LOL.

That's a broomstick of a channel cat, hammer.

Edited by chakram

That IS an odd-lookig Channel Cat. Most of the Channels around here that are still that small are still silver-and-spotty.

I suppose I'd have to get picky and start counting fin rays to positively ID the little brown guy. We have Flatheads in Michigan, so I'd expect them to be in your area, too, and I have never seen a really juvenile Flathead. It still looks more like a Bullhead to me; the head doesn't look Flathead-ish enough to me.

It is a baby cat. I'm sure it misses its mother. If you had a picture of its father then I might could tell... Sorry, I'd need a microscope to tell...

That IS an odd-lookig Channel Cat. Most of the Channels around here that are still that small are still silver-and-spotty.

I suppose I'd have to get picky and start counting fin rays to positively ID the little brown guy. We have Flatheads in Michigan, so I'd expect them to be in your area, too, and I have never seen a really juvenile Flathead. It still looks more like a Bullhead to me; the head doesn't look Flathead-ish enough to me.

macfish here. I have only seen two flatheads less than five pounds. One I caught myself and one was caught by a friend and offered to me when he had to leave. (It was released to get bigger. :) ) They were both around three pounds and both were quite different than adult flatheads. By different I mean in color. I don't know what juvenile or smaller flats look like in other waters but here they are very dark, almost black in color with distinctive white stomachs. One other characteristic of the flathead that I forgot to mention that is unique to the flathead is that the lower jaws juts out beyond the upper jaw. That characteristic by itself will tell you if you have a flathead and no other catfish has that. Jonathan

Here's a good up close look at a flathead's head:

post-1211-1285121822.jpg

Same net with a larger flathead - notice the bottom jaw extending beyond the top

post-1211-1285121983.jpg