Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ol Captain

17 Fish and.......

You just can’t coach middle school basketball for 20 years and not have a competitive spirit. Sure, it’s fun to just socialize & fish. It’s nice to make friends and chit chat about the weather & the state of the Union but (change of direction) it is also good to have some good ol’ healthy throw down competition once in a while!!

Four men & the Ultimate Carp Hound (Maximus Relaximus) made the 2 hr (one way) trip to Wallace Dam early this morning. Our intent was to not only catch fish but I thought it would be fun to choose teams, fish against each other & declare a winner at the end of the day!!!!

We began by choosing sides. Cool Dad & the Coweta Carper immediately paired off.

WallaceDamSept23026.jpg

I was joined by my good friend and special guest, Ken Higginbotham. Since Cool Dad was going to use one extra rod we were allowed to draft the Carp Hound as our Player/Coach.

WallaceDamSept23027.jpg

It looked like a good idea at the time but this decision might prove to cost us dearly in the end. We set the “game” to end promptly @ 4:00PM. We would add the total weight of each team’s catch and declare a winner after the cut off time. As it turned out 17 fish were brought to hand. The total pounds caught were somewhere between 40 and 490 pounds. Who caught what? Which team won? Was it a coach’s battle or was it a blowout? I thought you’d never ask…………….

It was back & forth for the longest time. Each team member was fishing hard and was doing his part…

WallaceDamSept23017.jpg

WallaceDamSept23013.jpg

WallaceDamSept23022.jpg

In fact, it was neck & neck as we approached halftime. It was then that I began to notice Maximus Relaximus pulling my partner Ken to the side. Folks, sometimes you just need to let the boys play. You don’t need to over coach!!!! Well, I’m not saying that this was the turning point of the game but as the 3rd quarter opened I saw the results of the Carp Hound’s coaching!!!!

First I saw this…..

WallaceDamSept23015.jpg

And then I saw this…….

WallaceDamSept23024.jpg

As if that weren’t bad enough, I eventually saw this!!!!

WallaceDamSept23025.jpg

How in the world can you win the game with half your team as well as part of the Coaching Staff sound asleep?!!!!

Fortunately, the bite picked up (and we woke up!) and we were catching once again…

WallaceDamSept23010.jpg

WallaceDamSept23014.jpg

WallaceDamSept23008.jpg

But as we caught, so caught they (and more) !!!

WallaceDamSept23012.jpg

WallaceDamSept23019.jpg

WallaceDamSept23020.jpg

With only 10 minutes left to play, Ken “Sleepy” Higginbotham and myself were less than 10 pounds behind. If we could only catch one good one or perhaps have two Pull-Downs and get a double!!!

Well, all I can say is we tried. WE didn’t get another run but THEY did. As the buzzer sounded, we found ourselves 25 lbs behind :cry: A very famous Coach once said…”You never lose, but sometimes the clock runs out on you”. Well, that’s the way it went at Wallace Dam today. There is nothing like a little healthy competition to get the blood pumping. Carpin isn’t a spectator sport. It is a game to be played hard & enjoyed to the fullest! If you’d like to know more about who we are & what we do I’d simply suggest that you take time one day soon and…..

WallaceDamSept23021-1.jpg

Great report as always.

I'd love to come fish the wallace dam, carp that size are my favorite, specially when played on lighter gear.

Good stuff.

Thank you for the great post. 17 carp for a 4 man competition is pretty good catchin.

Awesome fishing and great pictures.

Capt.

Well Done to each of you and to the winner, a Big Congratulation!

HOPPY4

WTG Guys :)

macfish here. Horace, I have been reading your posts for a long time now and have gotten pretty used to your wonderful renditions of how the time passed. Overall this has been one of the better ones except I found one thing seriously lacking. I was really disappointed that you had nothing at all in it about food. How could four, fully grown men manage to catch all of those fish without a single bit of nutrition? (Unless I just missed it?) Great job guys, congrats to the winners (all ya all)! Jonathan

Edited by macfish

macfish here. Horace, I have been reading your posts for a long time now and have gotten pretty used to your wonderful renditions of how the time passed. Overall this has been one of the better ones except I found one thing seriously lacking. I was really disappointed that you had nothing at all in it about food. How could four, fully grown men manage to catch all of those fish without a single bit of nutrition? (Unless I just missed it?) Great job guys, congrats to the winners (all ya all)! Jonathan

Macfish:

The last two trips we have left home a little earlier & stopped at Mc D's on the way instead of the Waffle House. The time saved is about another 1 1/2 hours to fish & we have saved some breakfast $$$ as well. Budget cuts have even affected the Captain's Carpin' Crew. (Please note that Maximus Relaximus is still getting his sausage patty).