Carp Anglers Group Forums
Willem (JD)

Life Time Carp Angler

Greetings from West Tennessee.

I've been trolling the CAG forum for a while and finally joined CAG.

I'm a life long Carp Catch and Release angler. Started carp fishing when I was old enough to reel a rod.

Originally from South Africa, Johannesburg area. Moved to the US permanently over 10 years ago.

Live in Collierville TN (Memphis). I've not come across a Carp angler here yet!

My fav. fishing spot here is Lower Sardis Lake MS.

Lakes with nice Carp I've fished in TN : Cordell Hull, Watts-Bar-Kingston TN, Arkabutla(buffalo), Horn Lake, Sardis Lower Lake MS.

I'll drop some pictures later.

I'm also a Website admin for a Online FPS gaming group for people over 21 that play online games like COD, Battlefield bad Company.

Sardis MS, Sept 18 2010

post-5480-1285535117.jpg

Welcome. Very few reports come from the MS river and that area in general but the potential is there. Can't wait to see more of yours from West TN.

Welcome. There's a pretty good bunch of people here and I am sure you'll have a good time.

Hi ya JD , If your ever fancy a trip to Chattanooga just give me a shout .Also looking forward to seeing what you pull out of west TN

BTW you on the ps3 with BFBC2 ? I'm addicted to it :)

Guest phonebush

Jd,

Welcome to CAG forum.

Keep your eyes peeled as the STL guys put together a trip every so often to Reelfoot. I caught some really nice carp out of the Mississippi down near those gambling boats South of MEM(?). In fact, Euro carper emigrants are rare along the Mississippi River South of STL. It's crazy but we don't have many (if ANY?) members of any sort along that part of the Mississippi River. No doubt between STL and the gulf are some of North Americas largest carp and no one who fishes for them cares.

We have had a few scattered about and if you stick around maybe another one or two will show up. That has happened in the Omaha Neb. area just this year. All of a sudden there are 3 or 4 guys fishing together.

Phone

PS: I've never caught very big carp or very many carp from Reelfoot. Don't put it on your personal list of "lakes to do" on my recommendation.

macfish here. JD, welcome to the forum and to the U.S. (belatedly) and to a gathering of mostly catch and release carpers. You might be correct that there are few or no catch and release carpers where you are, or at least none that you have met yet. I am in an area where I've met no catch and release carpers but there are carpers here who catch and keep and probably others who use alternative methods as well. Eventually I will probably meet some catch and release carping folks as I have with other species. I may have a pretty broad and optimistic view of anglers in general in the U.S. but I think more folks are moving in the catch and release direction. Jonathan

Hi ya JD , If your ever fancy a trip to Chattanooga just give me a shout .Also looking forward to seeing what you pull out of west TN

BTW you on the ps3 with BFBC2 ? I'm addicted to it :)

My son play it on the PS3, I'm an old school PC gamer.

My Brother-in-Law lives in Chattanooga, so I'll make sure to let you know when I go that way.

I am glad there is finally a CAG member in West Tennessee. Sorry to hear that you have found no other carp anglers there. I am looking forward to seeing some more photos of the carp you catch. The Tennessee River system has some big carp in east Tennessee and should have some in Pickwick and Kentucky lakes in west Tennessee. Someone just needs to find them.

Welcome to the madhouse. Care to share some mealie bom secrets? :)

I'll post some mielliebomb mixes for sure! LOL

Edited by JD - TN

Guest phonebush

Mario,

JD can probably tell us "how" to catch asian carp. Bigheads are an everyday species in most of South Africa. My basic Bighead carp rig is of SA origins.

JD,

Ever target the "big boys"?

Phone

Mario,

JD can probably tell us "how" to catch Asian carp. Bigheads are an everyday species in most of South Africa. My basic Bighead carp rig is of SA origins.

JD,

Ever target the "big boys"?

Phone

Catching a Asian Carp / Silver Carp with a hook is pure luck. They don't pick up solid bait.

Two ways to catch them. "Snagging" or using a HUGE float and float fish for them. They pretty much just swim and filter their food out of the water.

The rig you need to "Float Fish" for them is a float big enough to hold a "Pack bait bomb" suspended, I use a 9inch "Shark Float"

shark_float.gif

You then need a "Spring Feeder" for your pack bait. One with no weight added like this:

Nikki%20pics%20of%20TBS-87%20(Small).jpg

About 4 hooks on thin strong line hanging from the bottom.

All you need now is my "Fizz Pack Bait" recipe that looks like Alka-Seltzer when in the water, creating a "cloud" of food with hooks in that "cloud".

Pack bait mainly consist of very fine cornmeal as base and some "other goodies".

This only work if you know they are there to catch. It's always a long shot but worth the effort when one gets on that hook.

Imagine a how those bastids can fight & jump, pure Adrenalin rush.

LOLOL It's almost like a 15lb Grass carp acting like a Bass.

I've caught catfish, Bluegill and other fish while using this setup.

I can detail and add pics of the rig I use and the "secret fizz-bomb" pack bait if anybody's interested.

I use my fizz bombs with all my carp fishing. I'll post a vid some time.

Alka Seltzer in pack, boy Phone is going to love you. Very interesting concept.

Alka Seltzer in pack, boy Phone is going to love you. Very interesting concept.

I don't use Alka Seltzer, I make a mix that act like it when it makes contact with water.

Welcome JD, I to im a PC gamer, mosty COD MWF2

I build custom PC's on the side, Heres my PC a built 2 years back, Now working on a new bigger water cooled build.

2015.jpg

Picture1142.jpg

001.jpg

IMG_5020-1.jpg

Again welcome

Edited by mr_fitzz