Carp Anglers Group Forums
Joe

Georgia Jewel : a PB, a Lump, and a snake!!!!

Last week I got a pm from Mr. BigBird himself telling me a certain body of water was now fishable. I have made several trips to this certain spots many of time this year, only to find it un-fishable even with 4oz of lead!!!! Last Night I made sure to get registered with the new TOKS Tournament, even though I figured this would down my odds of having good luck. Boy was I Wrong!

I packed the car like always on Saturday night, and filled the gas tank up. I had trouble sleeping, because the sound of my alarms screaming and my reels smoking mist into the air like a fountain, kept me awake. I watched Korda videos until I finally was able to fall asleep. Simply stated, My alarm wasn’t enough to wake me up! I was 2 hours into a fight with a 65 pound Leather, and I wasn’t going to miss it!!!! I ended up rising out of bed at 7:30, grabbing odds and ends, and took off.

I ended up arriving to the spot around 9:00 after getting things at Wal-Mart, and grabbing a bite at McDonalds. The drive was horrid! It seemed as though a hurricane just hit Georgia Full Force! Luckily when I arrived there was nothing but a slight fog, and one other angler who left shortly after I arrived. I found a swim and started hauling all my kit down. White bass were jumping all over the place. I had no business with them though, as I was looking for something say……35 times their size. I started the day off with a puff and corn combo on a paylake rig, and a oats/cereal pack. Not a lot of lead was needed as the water was not rough, luckily.

After about 2 hours, and nothing but a bit of catfish action, I decided to switch up to hair rig, with 2 pieces maze/ 1 small peace yellow foam. That was my best decision of the day. I got my first run of the day, a screamer like the rest. I fought the fish for a minute, only to be cut off by a rock. The same thing happened again 15 minutes later.

As depressed as I was, I got hit again. Only this one was all mine! Straight to the net he went, and I was well chuffed with my first fish of the day. He topped the scales at 13.9 pounds. I quickly got him back in the tub, and got that pole out again. Shortly after, my right hand pole burst into action, only to end up being a pulled hook.

Thirty minutes later, I got a spectacular run. I grabbed the pole and got a great hookset. The fish towed me for about 10 minutes till I was able to wade up to my knees and land him in the net. When I finally layed him gently on the net, I got the full extent of how big the fish really was. I knew he had to be close to a new PB. He hit the scales at 22.3 pounds!!!!!My thoughts were correct and I now had a new PB, beating my old one by about a pound! My emotions where high as I had drawn a family of spectators while battling the brute, and yelled in excitement.

Several more runs, and several more rigs lost to the rocks left me tired and beat. I decided to pack up when a water-moccasin had invaded the area, which kept me from wading anymore. The drive home was the same as the approach, but I had the thought of my new PB in my head and that was all that mattered. Thanks For your time and good luck mates!!

005-6.jpg

008-3.jpg

And that man, is what carping is all about.

Great report, and nice fish.

A crowd is always nice when battling our scaley adversaries.

Joe - WOW!! That's the best news for a long time, and I'm as thrilled as you are :D Huge congrats on another milestone crossed - and we all await concrete proof of the 65lb Leather :)

Well done mate,

Brid.

congratulations indeed on your PB... nice looking specimens as well...

joe that is awesome!!!!!!!!!! bigger fish in there for sure!!! as far as the snags go me and cooldad found out to fish with no lead. let the pack be your casting weight and that stopped alot of snag ups. fish below the fishing pier up toward the big concrete structure.. the rocks are killer on me and tim but a young buck like yourself it is perfect. PM thurston on the GON forum for anymore details. he put me on my cag state record mirror!!

awesome catches joe!!!!!

Well Done Joe and CONGRATS on the New PB!

HOPPY4

macfish here. Congratulations on your new PB! Fine looking fish! Jonathan