Carp Anglers Group Forums

This month in the NACA I was surprised to see a snakehead article? Altough well written maybe I missed it but I didn't read if it was catch and release or just catch and kill them? If it is catch and release I'll be surprised it was allowed to be inserted in the NACA Snakeheads are very invasive fish If in the tital Potomic it could have a serious effect in years to come?? There's a body of water in NY the DEC has closed because they found snakeheads three years ago, they didn't want them to spread. Maybe I'm missing something, but it looke like the article was promoting snakehead fishing If so I hope it's catch and kill!!

My guess is that they are well established down there and impossible to eradicate at this point, i was thinking kill them too but then i sound like the guy who says eradicate the carp. Pretty unusual article, agreed.

Guest BCLT

honestly - I found the article and a few others rather dissapointing - I just joined the CAG and paid for my membership (as im sure alot of you have as well) and was very excited to both be a part of the group and look forward to my first magazine - and when I came across that article I was a little irritated because the zine should be about carp - carp - and more carp - if I wanted to read up on snake heads id join the snake head group - sorry if this seems rude but its my true opinion - regardless I still love the group, love the forum and all the people who have helped me learn the ways of carp angling! - shawn

I remember a comment in the article (and I paraphrase) to the effect that the ecological impact of Snakeheads was "uncertain." I was more than a little unhappy about that comment, and the feeling that the author seemed more interested in how much fun these fish are to catch than in the possible eceological effects they may have. However, I am no expert in ichthyology or fisheries biology/ecology, so I should not have a "hissy fit" before doing a bit of research.

The content is sent in by members. Axel took the time to write an article even if it was not on carp. While I was surprised to see it, it was an enjoyable read. Stewart does an excellent job but can only work with what is submitted.

Granted I know the fish are very invasive and a big problem, and I would advocate consuming or donating any caught fish, it is up to the captor to make his decision.

I would like to avoid portraying our group as supporting invasive species and their release. Especially asian carp.

I would like to avoid portraying our group as supporting invasive species and their release. Especially asian carp.

Members here being "linked" to that by gutter press mentality would set things back somwhat in my opinion, but thats my opinion, people are gonna do what theyre gonna do.

i also had mixed feelings about the article itself, other species in a carp mag etc, although the snakeheads are strange and exotic i can imagine the reaction if it was an article about bass :)

You cant can pair people killing snake heads to people telling you to kill carp, the snake heads are truly invasive species, however the carp are not and those that say this are misinformed or ignorant , but like others have seed having articles about them in the NACA might make others think we are an invasive species club. Also carp are not invasive because the U.S. Fish Commission and almost every one of the state governments in our land undertook one of the greatest far reaching campaigns to establish the carp everywhere in our country. (this is the Difference )

Edited by robm1093

I didn't read the article yet, but personally I welcome a bit of diversity in our magazine, and having one article per issue describing a fishing experience with another species doesn't seem that shocking to me. I think we should thank Axel for taking the time to write something different for our reading pleasure instead of shooting at him.

Agreed that the snakeheads are rather nasty invasive beasts, but well, fact is they are here in North America now, so what's the harm in occasionally fishing for them?

macfish here. I did not see the article on the snakeheads but invasive species are a fact that we cannot ignore. Sometimes it seems like when invasive species are spoken about it is in reference to the coming end of the world. I am not trying to make light of something that can be quite problematic. Two current examples which come to mind are the emerald ash borer which is a very serious pest in my state of Missouri (and many other states as well) and mountain pine beetles which are currently destroying many trees in the West. About six miles from where I live there is a river which is infested with Asian carp. I've seen enough of them that I cannot see how they can possibly be controlled or removed. I don't remember ever hearing of any invasive species that were stopped. Can anyone else? Once they are loose it seems nigh impossible to get them back in the box. On the other hand I know that sea lamprey used to be a very severe problem for the lake trout and other fish in the Great Lakes but evidently they figured out to control them though they are still around. Already they seem to have something which can treat trees to protect them against the emerald ash borer. Maybe there is some type of control mechanism out there. Complete removal, in my opinion, is probably a pipe dream. Jonathan

mountain pine beetle

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/enviro...le-threat_N.htm

emerald ash borer

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

I didn't read the article yet, but personally I welcome a bit of diversity in our magazine, and having one article per issue describing a fishing experience with another species doesn't seem that shocking to me. I think we should thank Axel for taking the time to write something different for our reading pleasure instead of shooting at him.

Agreed that the snakeheads are rather nasty invasive beasts, but well, fact is they are here in North America now, so what's the harm in occasionally fishing for them?

Exactly... thanks Jerome... and thanks again Axel for writing an article!

Now instead of b!tching and moaning, I challenge everyone who doesn't like the snakehead article to write and submit an article themselves.... they can be sent to NACA EDITOR. How about it Ed, anything you'd like to volunteer your time to write about?

Guest phonebush

Sully,

Although Snakehead have the nickname and reputaton of being Fishzilla the doesn't seem to be any evidence they are capable of injuring or disrupting a well balanced fishery. I don't think we have them yet in MO so I'm not worried what I might do if I caught one. I fish for Asian Bighead carp on occasion and release them. I liked the NACA article for the very reason you state. It really doesn't judge what you should do if you catch one. It leaves the decision up to the angler.

Here's what Wisconsin (still) has to say:

"You should never release any kind of fish into waters it was not caught in. Snakeheads are just one example of the kinds of fish that cause problems. Carp are one of the worst of the imports." The author is a well respected professional fishing guide. Ronnie Garrison is an award-winning outdoors magazine and newspaper writer and the author of The Everything Fishing Book. He fishes everyday and has been a bass club tournament fisherman for 34 years. He says you should be sure you kill carp and not return them to the water.

Phone

I didn't read the article yet, but personally I welcome a bit of diversity in our magazine, and having one article per issue describing a fishing experience with another species doesn't seem that shocking to me.

I enjoy the diversity as well. I thought the mention of barbel fishing by John Tilbrook was pretty cool too.

Part of the second video shows a snakehead taking apart a LM bass. Oh boy that must get the bass guys going.

Part of the second video shows a snakehead taking apart a LM bass. Oh boy that must get the bass guys going.

Yeah, although that video was a bit misleading. It was in an aquarium, and more then likely the much smaller bass(looked about 1/3 the size of the snakehead) was tossed into a tank in which the snakehead was resident. I've kept fish for years, and once a fish, particularly an aggressive species such as a snakehead is settled into a tank, any fish introduced particularly in a situation such as that where it's a bare tank with no hiding place, and the new fish has no idea what's going on, and the original fish is conditioned to be looking at anything dropped in as food..well..you can see what I mean.

Reverse the situation, take a 10" snakehead and toss it blind into a tank with a 20" smallmouth that is settled..and the snakehead lasts 5 seconds.

That said, I'm quite aware that snakeheads are very aggressive in nature, much more so then bass. A much more interesting "fight" might be if they run into a big male bowfin bent on protecting it's brood....might well turn out a bit different for the snakehead!

Yeah, although that video was a bit misleading. It was in an aquarium, and more then likely the much smaller bass(looked about 1/3 the size of the snakehead) was tossed into a tank in which the snakehead was resident. I've kept fish for years, and once a fish, particularly an aggressive species such as a snakehead is settled into a tank, any fish introduced particularly in a situation such as that where it's a bare tank with no hiding place, and the new fish has no idea what's going on, and the original fish is conditioned to be looking at anything dropped in as food..well..you can see what I mean.

Reverse the situation, take a 10" snakehead and toss it blind into a tank with a 20" smallmouth that is settled..and the snakehead lasts 5 seconds.

That said, I'm quite aware that snakeheads are very aggressive in nature, much more so then bass. A much more interesting "fight" might be if they run into a big male bowfin bent on protecting it's brood....might well turn out a bit different for the snakehead!

Ya I had cichlids for years. But I was surprised at how powerful the snakeheads jaws are.