Carp Anglers Group Forums
DGuy

Weird thing happened today...

Wanting to try out my new bite alarms that I won at the Cammack fish-in, I decided to hit up the aforementioned lake today to give them a try. There was one line that kept getting pulled out a little bit,not a dropback, making my alarm beep once or twice every 10-15 minutes. About 45 minutes after the last beep, I decided to reel in to re-bait. When I started to reel in, I realized that there was a fish on the other end of the line. It didn't seem to put up much of a fight, so I thought it was just a bunch of grass at first. When I got close to the bank, I saw the line start to swim away sideways and felt the tell-tale jerk of a carp that just realized its about to take a trip out of the water. Unfortunately, it came unhooked and I didn't get a good look at it.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I find it really weird that a carp would get hooked and stay put for 45 minutes without moving enough to pull out the line even more. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Not in about 45 years. :)

You don't have buffalo there do you? Sometimes they will just sit right on your bait and suck and blow it forever.

If not, then I'm puzzled, unless it was a big turtle. A softshell can really pull like a fish but they usually are not so sluggish as to just sit there that long with the bait, unless maybe the water is getting cold enough to slow them down?

Wanting to try out my new bite alarms that I won at the Cammack fish-in, I decided to hit up the aforementioned lake today to give them a try. There was one line that kept getting pulled out a little bit,not a dropback, making my alarm beep once or twice every 10-15 minutes. About 45 minutes after the last beep, I decided to reel in to re-bait. When I started to reel in, I realized that there was a fish on the other end of the line. It didn't seem to put up much of a fight, so I thought it was just a bunch of grass at first. When I got close to the bank, I saw the line start to swim away sideways and felt the tell-tale jerk of a carp that just realized its about to take a trip out of the water. Unfortunately, it came unhooked and I didn't get a good look at it.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I find it really weird that a carp would get hooked and stay put for 45 minutes without moving enough to pull out the line even more. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Sure it was a carp and not a big turtle?

I've had snapping turtles doing something similar

Sure it was a carp and not a big turtle?

I've had snapping turtles doing something similar

Me too.

Could of been a big turtle or catfish. I've had both play games with me at cammack before...hate them.

It happened to me twice a couple years back. Beep-beep-beep for 20mins, then I decided to reel in and as soon as I moved the bait, fish on. Landed both carp and one was my PB 30+. Sorry I can't explain why. I was thinking there feeding heavy, banging around the line or lead and when they see movement the hit the bait. That's just a theory.

Edited by Ontariocarper

I suppose it could have possibly been a turtle since I never got a good look at it. It just really felt like a carp taking off when it sees a net. I suppose that I'll never know...

Ive had this happen in winter when the carp just didnt move off the spot, reeled in about 20 minutes after a few short lifts then nothing, surprissed to find fish on, another scenario ive had like this when fishing at 90yds+, fish takes bait and moves of slowly sideways swinging in an arc, it was on a windy day with chop on the water so the first indication i got was noticing the rod tip move sideways very slowly.

+

Guest phonebush

DGuy,

Am I the only one that saw it?? !! I'd say it was at least a 35 lb mirror. You probably shouldn't use the "long release" method on the big ones. - - - Just a suggestion.

Phone

I vote "not-fish".

I suppose it could have possibly been a turtle since I never got a good look at it. It just really felt like a carp taking off when it sees a net. I suppose that I'll never know...

macfish here. Several folks have said it sounded like a turtle to them. I have been battling turtles this summer for the first time in a long time. I've been fishing for blue catfish using cut bait and have caught and also lost several large softshell turtles. I don't now how they react where you're at, but once I got them close to shore the way they were swimming was decidedly different than any fish. I could clearly feel them "paddling" meaning they were using their front legs to try to swim away from the direction they were being pulled. It was a sensation unlike any I have felt with any fish I have caught, sort of an alternating pull one way then the other way. When I first hooked them I was unsure for awhile what was on the line but once I got them closer it was clear that it was not a fish. As far as something biting tentatively then no action and then something being "on the line" when it was retrieved - that describes exactly what happened to me maybe three weeks ago and it was a softshell on the line. Apparently they can swallow a hook without even knowing what they've done. Maybe that's because I was using circle hooks so they probably were not pricked by the hook point. Jonathan

Edited by macfish

Sure sounds like either a sucker (Buff, Carpsucker, big Redhorse, etc.) or a turtle to me. Suckers always give me that type of trouble, but I rarely hook into them at all.