Carp Anglers Group Forums
louis

Pennsylvania Roll Call!

Hi Everyone,

Since we currently have no CAG state chair for PA, I wanted to step up and start a thread where we could all make a post saying hello. We can use it as a reference when looking for others in our area. So please say hi and share whatever info about yourself you are comfortable with :D

I'm from Philadelphia, I'd love to meet up and fish around town with anybody...if I could ever find the time :)

I have been fishing all my life and targeting carp specifically for almost 9 years. I enjoy all styles of carp fishing, from fly fishing, to light line stalking, to standard Euro. I was the CAG Chair for PA from 2004-2008 and the President from 2007-2010. I have fished for carp all over the country for fun and for tournaments, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm Pete originally from the UK , lived in Tennessee and Nevada and now reside in the Hershey area, i took a 10 year break from Carpin but kept up with the technology and gear, the fishing in PA is great. Met a few Cagr's and caught a few lumps this year.

I travel all over PA. Pete, Zach had mentioned you to me. I frequent down your way often for fishing or family in the area. Maybe we can hook up sometime.

I travel all over PA. Pete, Zach had mentioned you to me. I frequent down your way often for fishing or family in the area. Maybe we can hook up sometime.

Could ya make an intro post? :)

Oops! lol My name is Brian. I live on the western side of the state and was taught about carp at an early age since my dad and generations before fished for carp. As I was growing up I would watch my dad do it and when I was ready to give ita try most of all the good spots were posted so I ventured off into catfishing and bass along with other species. After the passing of my dad 5 years ago I decided to really educate myself and see what he enjoyed so much about carp other than the outdoors. I still research as much as I can about it all the time and never feel I can't learn something new. I prefer euro mixed with paylake baits. I do stalk once in a while when necessary. I appreciate all shapes and sizes of carp and catching a little one is just as exciting as catching a big one for me. I travel throughout PA and various nearby states and enjoy the bankside company and friends I have met along the way.

Oops! lol My name is Brian. I live on the western side of the state and was taught about carp at an early age since my dad and generations before fished for carp. As I was growing up I would watch my dad do it and when I was ready to give ita try most of all the good spots were posted so I ventured off into catfishing and bass along with other species. After the passing of my dad 5 years ago I decided to really educate myself and see what he enjoyed so much about carp other than the outdoors. I still research as much as I can about it all the time and never feel I can't learn something new. I prefer euro mixed with paylake baits. I do stalk once in a while when necessary. I appreciate all shapes and sizes of carp and catching a little one is just as exciting as catching a big one for me. I travel throughout PA and various nearby states and enjoy the bankside company and friends I have met along the way.

Brian it will be a pleasure to go out sometime, I am not sure how much more I am going to get out this year for carp but I will pm you to see if you are available, I may try musky (Pike to me) fishing in the winter euro style, we use all the same gear as carping ( with the exception of rigs) and lay dead sea fish ( the stinky ones) on the bottom trying to pick up the big females.

Good luck.

Name: Bill

Favorite bait: Del Monte or Reliant Food Service sweet cone (corn)

CAG history: almost made the "original 200" list (#201), met Bud Yancey in Michigan (1997??), quit for a few years but rejoined to be able to fish in Herkel's tournaments (they never happened but I stuck around)

Angling history: multi species angler, weekend angler - (jack of all trades, master of none), have participated in recreational, paylaking & tournament style - kill and C&R

Don't ask me: what pound test line I use, what rods I have, what pod I have, etc, etc.......I don't have them memorized and never will. Just know that I use what I use and it works (most of the time)

Farthest I've traveled to fish: Coon Rapids Minnesota (blanked!)

Favorite tournament memory: Phone getting ripped off by homeless lady in Buffalo, NY (Phone -I want my $40.00 back!) - - - - - - just kidding Phone :)

Sometimes: I intentionally post something to get somebody fired up (see Phone post above)

I never: take ANYTHING on this or any other forum too seriously

Aside from my mother and Johnny No Sleeves: I am the nicest person you'll ever meet. Just ask me, I'll tell you

I work: for a massive financial corporation

Best day of trout fishing: 30 landed, kept 3 - Fairview Gravel Pit - Erie , PA - day after Thanksgiving a few years ago

Best untapped carp fishery: Lake Erie / Presque Isle - Erie PA - I need to spend more time up there

Worst day of trout fishing: 0 caught, 0 kept

Favorite brand of athletic shoe: Asics

When I fish: I wear Do Rags and smoke cheap cigars

Favorite beer: Budweiser

Want to know anything else? Just ask...................

Edited by KingKool

I Live in Philly up da block from the Schuylkill, fish for carp (although didnt target carp much this year) in addition to rcokfish, walleye, shad and other species in local waters and beyond. Former PA state chair and I've caught carp in every major watershed in PA, with the exception of the Genesee. I like Busch pounders, tides, brussel sprouts, fake corn and ####e on a shingle. My favorite color is the orange hue of a tidal mirror's belly.

hey guys, my name is Zach Hoffa. I have been fishing for carp for 6 years. A friend showed me the basics of chumming, after some time i found CAG an found the way of euro style carping. I showed the person who showed me all my new tricks. I have a great passion for the sport an absolutely love to travel an find success with new people in new locations. I am very willing to share what i know. Carp fishing is a huge part of my life an will always be.

if you'd like to follow me or learn more about my travels, you can read the blog i keep on this website, here

Good morning guys, my name is Bud Thomas, been fishing for carp for a long time

but have been free lining for carp most of that time. Started Euro carp fishing 2 years

back and been introduced and shown the ropes by Zach and carpncat (Jim) and enjoy

carp fishing. I thank them both for what I learned and still have lots to learn. Haven't

caught any hugh fish yet but did catch a few mid to upper teens fish this year. Bud

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also learned quit a bit

just reading posts on baits, tackle, hair rigs and lots of

other great information. Best 25 bucks I've spent. Bud

My name is Sean. I live in Meadowlands. Ive been carp fishing for 20 yrs. It was mostly all paylaking until one day I threw some doughball into DCL and hooked into one of them hogs. That was Aug 08 and can count on one hand how many times Ive paylaked since. That was the first time I caught a 20lber too. Got into some of the euro stuff about a yr ago with increased my catch rate. My son and I fish every chance we get. The closest lake to me is Cross Creek.

Guest phonebush

PA,

It's just like I am from PA except I'm nice.

King, I'll not forget - the date was 9/11. I often wonder what the he!! I'd a done without you guys?

Most expensive peanut butter and jelly sandwich I ever made anyone. Thanks again for getting me to my daughters house in South Jersey. The rest of that story was that without you guys it would have been hard to get from upstate NY to South Jersey (where she lived). Paranoia had set in and people along the coast were pretty frightened and confused. My "story" was to weird to be believable - especially in view of the events of the day.

Phone

Ohh, and the biggest carp I've seen East of the Alleghany was in the Delaware River. I don't know why you guys won't go catch it?

Edited by phonebush

I know a few years back PA's membership was up over 50 or so? What are out current numbers? I know there are more PA guys out there!

We're up to 64! I just emailed them all. :)

Guest keystoneman

Got the email from Louis. Haven't been to the website in quite some time, haven't fished for carp for quite some time.

My names, Eric. I'm 25 am a semi new home owner, got married last year, own a dog, and am the proud dad to a 3 month old little boy. Life has got busy in the past few years. I've been fishing since I could walk, anything that bites I'm after. I got into carp fishing about 4-5 years ago when I finally got past the "trash fish" stigma. I'm able to say I'm glad I did, the feeling of a carp on the other end of the line rivals pretty much any other fresh water fish. Plus I enjoy having a few cold ones while fishing. I work in the IT dept. for a top 5 bank, and I hate desk jobs ... Outside of fishing and spending time with my family I REALLY enjoy hunting, trapping, camping, keystone light, southern comfort, country music, tactical firearms, heck really any gun, Steeler football, and PSU blue.

If ya wana know anything else just ask!

Here are a few random pics ...

DSCN1336.jpg

DSCN1789.jpg

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

DSCN0923.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

001_1.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

HI:

This is Jim and have been carp fishing all my life. It is only the past 6 years that I have been doing the european fishing. I travel all over eastern Pa and once a year to the St Lawrence. I try to do some fishins as much as possible. I do a lot at the SHUKE and MARBURG and also whereever and with whomever I can. I am retired so I fish a lot and normally during the week to avoid the crowds.

Never posted before but got the e mail from Louis and will pitch in.... I'm also the brother of Nick Reeder who posts on here all the time.... I always catch more fish then him and catch bigger fish (ask him if you don't believe me).... i went to the fish in deal that was in west Philly a couple weeks ago, even though the bite was off bc of the 6 degree drop we had a good time and got to meet a bunch of good guys.... here's the info, the format i took of another poster:

Name: Chris Reeder

Favorite bait: Corn/Maize

CAG history: Joined a year or two ago to support the club and love it, the leadership does a great job

Angling history: Started seriously fishing when I was probably around 8 or so fishing for carp & trout, now I only fish for big fish like carp, musky, pike, stripers, salmon, etc… I also do some bass and walleye fishing (walleye only in Canada)

Don't ask me: Anything about the Red Sox, Dolphins, Jets or Patriots

Farthest I've traveled to fish: Alaska

Favorite tournament memory: When I was younger a guy that fishes pro now took me out for tournaments and I always won them, bc he was the best

Sometimes: Carp really piss me off when they run and I set the hook and coincidentally they dropped it at the EXACT same moment

I never: Get out fished by my brother Nick

Aside from my mother and Johnny No Sleeves: Don’t know what that means

I work: Part owner at a Antique Car Restoration/Parts Business

Best day of trout fishing: I hate trout, they’re bait

Best untapped carp fishery: Susquehanna River (west branch central PA)

Worst day of trout fishing: Any day I wasted my time on fake tiny pieces of bait

Favorite brand of athletic shoe: I only wear sandals

When I fish: I try to catch up reading my CAG or Musky Hunter magazines (only when I’m not catching anything)

Favorite beer: Kokanee. If you’ve never been to Canada you’re missing out, best beer ever!

Mike Malone

Bensalem

Moniker - mean mike - an appellation given me by a waitress during a carping trip.

Have not been carpin much in the last four years due to duties at home.

Am considering a roll up to the St. Larry next week.

Local fishing usually done at Blue Marsh, Marsh Creek and Ontelaunee.

Miss the old farts fishins that were on the St. Larry for a few years.

Euro Carpin for about twelve years.

Mike

My name is Ray Eichelberger. Just got Louis' email. Know and have fished with a few of you guys. Live in Mount Joy, Pa. Fish quite a bit with Lowell King (kingfisher) at Lake Ontalaunee and a couple of spots on the Connestoga River (love those river carp). Try to hold a fish in every year at Speedwell Forge Lake. Been fishing for carp for over 50 years now. Kind of fish a combination of styles. Have a lot of fun and catch a few too from time to time. :) Am actually crazy enough to fish for carp with a scooby doo outfit and have been known to sling a few flies in their direction.

Ray

Edited by Eich

Guest Fishenhunt

Joe Gorden, Somerset County. Been fishing for carp a long time. CAG member since June 1, 1995. PB is 27-12. Brought the current three-rod proposal to the Pa. Fish and Boat Commission along with accordbw21. Been around long enough to know that those who have identified themselves as former PA chairmen are actually former EASTERN PA chairmen. I think CAG needs a Central Pa. chapter, and I think the biggest untapped potential in the state is Raystown Lake.

Joe Gorden, Somerset County. Been fishing for carp a long time. CAG member since June 1, 1995. PB is 27-12. Brought the current three-rod proposal to the Pa. Fish and Boat Commission along with accordbw21. Been around long enough to know that those who have identified themselves as former PA chairmen are actually former EASTERN PA chairmen. I think CAG needs a Central Pa. chapter, and I think the biggest untapped potential in the state is Raystown Lake.

Indeed, Louis and I were Eastern PA chairs....but we did do a few statewide events at Marburg :)

I dont live in PA :) but i fish raystown 3 or four times a year and i have to agree with you Joe, there are some beasts in there, 40 plus commons and mirrors. . would be cool to have a weekend fish in there if we could get some campground space on the water.

Guest Fishenhunt
Indeed, Louis and I were Eastern PA chairs....but we did do a few statewide events at Marburg :)

Indeed, you did, Matt. We did some at Shawnee, too. But, I'm not trying to start anything - just want to set the record straight in the interest of accuracy. It is truly unfortunate that we have no chairs anymore. Those Marburg events were popular, and the Shawnee fish-ins (and CAGI) brought a lot of newcomers into the fold, some of whom have turned into hard-core carp anglers. It would be great if we could hold a big event at Raystown. I'd love to see what really good carp fishermen could produce there, and I believe it would generate a great deal of interest in CAG. Mark is the only member I know of who fishes it on anything approaching a regular basis. I've gone there several times to look for bank space, but there simply is none. It's a boater's lake for sure, and that's too bad for us.

Indeed, you did, Matt. We did some at Shawnee, too. But, I'm not trying to start anything - just want to set the record straight in the interest of accuracy. It is truly unfortunate that we have no chairs anymore. Those Marburg events were popular, and the Shawnee fish-ins (and CAGI) brought a lot of newcomers into the fold, some of whom have turned into hard-core carp anglers. It would be great if we could hold a big event at Raystown. I'd love to see what really good carp fishermen could produce there, and I believe it would generate a great deal of interest in CAG. Mark is the only member I know of who fishes it on anything approaching a regular basis. I've gone there several times to look for bank space, but there simply is none. It's a boater's lake for sure, and that's too bad for us.

joe thats the down side of raystown bad banks(High) and private proprty... i know a few places we'll hook up in spring summer