Carp Anglers Group Forums
louis

Pennsylvania Roll Call!

Awesome thread .. just found it !

My name is luke and i live in kunkletown pa.. anyone looking for fishing around deleware area let me know ... might do few this year and partner wouldnt hurt

So welcome to all PA members

Hi guys, my names Mike, I live in Philly, mostly fishing since I was little, fishing for anything that will bite. Years ago me and the girlfriend stumbled on a carp or so during our fishing adventures and was hooked. I really started mainly fishing for carp years ago when I found the PAC site which had a carp fish in on the schuylkill river. I ended up fishing the same day just further down and just hanging out and learning. Louis and Matt hosted the event IIRC and there was another guy I ended up fishing with a few times named Pete, not sure if he is still around fishing but we caught some nice fish in the low 20's there. Even had a laughable experience when my reels drag broke and my whole rod went flying into the river.

I generally fish the delaware/schuylkill rivers and I try and get a trip into the Waddington NY area. This year I met up with AFBOB (amazingly nice guy) he hooked us up with a lot of info and such and really made our vacation this year. Can't wait to get back up there again.

I'm fairly quiet on the forums, I usually just read alot of them and learn, I'm always up for learning about new spots to fish and new techniques. I ride my bike and such up the kelly drive area often and sometimes stop to say hi to the people fishing there. I've seen someone lately there with a blueish colored mustang and wondered if it was anyone on the boards.

Biggest carp caught so far 24.5 pounds. Always looking for bigger

It's usually me and the girlfriend fishing together with sometimes my dad/brother joining. We try to go weekly, shes just as much into it as me, she jumped in during this years Waddington trip to swim out to net a fish so we didn't lose it as it was stuck in a snag lol.

Three years later I stumble into this forum and see a lot of old activity (dates) posted a while back, but here goes:

Paul  Merritt here, I am a transplant from Edinboro Pa now live in Carlisle, Pa. I still live in some good carp fishing area so looking forward to catching some bigguns!

I recently started getting interested (more seriously) in carp fishing on purpose. I have caught a few big carp on fly tackle over the years since I began fly fishing in the 70's.

I have made some boilies, and gathered the makins for some pack bate to try out over at Pinchot, Marburg, Memorial Lake, Raystown, Juniata River, and the Susquehanna.

If I ever get enough time, I may venture over to Ontelaunee or the 'kill. I like reading online about carp tackleand methodology, so am enjoying the learning experience.

I am C&R 100% so I made my own unhooking mat / weigh sling....but still need a good net, chair(s) and TIME.....PLENTY OF TIME!!!!!

Edited by flyrod

new guy to the site....

andy from pottstown, pa.

grew up in Philly fishing rivers and streams now moved to the suburbs and trying to get my hang on the lakes up here.  any advice would be greatly appreciated.

did some fishing at marsh creek yesterday....the whole nine....rice pack bait, bollies, oat pack bait....but still got skunked.  was in the wrong spot.  did a little scouting at the end of the day and might have found a decent spot.  have any of you ever fished marsh creek?

why bother w/ MC?  the Skuke is loaded w/ Carp & should be somewhat culled for size after couple decades of Flathead predation...  if you want stillwater, Green Lane should be great for numbers (if not size)...  been a couple decades since I was a MONTCO resident & could fish there for free, so who knows -- the size potential may have improved in all those years & back then, I often had to retire the 2nd rod, because the runs were so frequent

1 hour ago, philaroman said:

why bother w/ MC?  the Skuke is loaded w/ Carp & should be somewhat culled for size after couple decades of Flathead predation...  if you want stillwater, Green Lane should be great for numbers (if not size)...  been a couple decades since I was a MONTCO resident & could fish there for free, so who knows -- the size potential may have improved in all those years & back then, I often had to retire the 2nd rod, because the runs were so frequent

i was planning on trying green lane.  now are you talking about the reservoir itself or one of the shoot offs?  plus i tried marsh because another site was saying they were seeing some big ones in there.  of course no one fishes for carp...lol

"shoot offs" are Deep Creek Lake & Knight Lake -- never tried, but should be good

http://www.montcopa.org/2145/Fishing-Boating

main GL Park (like I said, my info is dated by 20-25 yrs): 8AM-Sunset (strict!); good, detailed depth chart in office w/ hand-out copies(if still?); limited permitted shoreline -- crowded when(if still?) trout-stocked / deserted in Summer; VERY deep immediately in front of P-lot & point (good for float-fishing close; be at gates by 7:55AM, if you want point & RUN to put some of your tackle down, LOL); progressively shallower cove, if you walk left from point (not far); another P-lot & boat launch at shallow end -- never tried

MC should be good if you frequently/consistently bait the right spot, or follow Skuke downstream for bigger water

Edited by philaroman

45 minutes ago, philaroman said:

"shoot offs" are Deep Creek Lake & Knight Lake -- never tried, but should be good

http://www.montcopa.org/2145/Fishing-Boating

main GL Park (like I said, my info is dated by 20-25 yrs): 8AM-Sunset (strict!); good, detailed depth chart in office w/ hand-out copies(if still?); limited permitted shoreline -- crowded when(if still?) trout-stocked / deserted in Summer; VERY deep immediately in front of P-lot & point (good for float-fishing close; be at gates by 7:55AM, if you want point & RUN to put some of your tackle down, LOL); progressively shallower cove, if you walk left from point (not far); another P-lot & boat launch at shallow end -- never tried

MC should be good if you frequently/consistently bait the right spot, or follow Skuke downstream for bigger water

thanks for the info

Not from Pa but close, Morgantown WV area, I'm about 6 miles south of the Pa/WV line as the crow flys. I do have a Pa Non-Resident Lisc and will be fishing Pa. later this summer.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, Andy L said:

i was planning on trying green lane.  now are you talking about the reservoir itself or one of the shoot offs?  plus i tried marsh because another site was saying they were seeing some big ones in there.  of course no one fishes for carp...lol

Andy, nice to see another euro carper nearby. I live close to Pottstown and fish all over around here. Funny you mentioned MC, you had prob seen some post about it from GORDONSSPORTSUPPLY? LOL. MC is tough, fished it three times now with no luck but have seen very large carp surface. I want to find someone or a few reliable good people to not only fish it with me (prebait like crazy) but also fish for carp all over in general. Feel free to P.M. me for more info... would love to talk!

Sincerely,

Nate

Hi all.  I'm from the Collegeville area of Pennsylvania.  After being a life-long saltwater fisherman I made the shift to freshwater this year.  I decided carp may be a good way to get a good fight and it looks like I was right.  Been fishing for carp for about a week and have already landed one 22", one 24", one 25", one 26", and today I landed a fat 30".  All were caught in the Perkiomen Creek.  Its fun fishing the creek, but am thinking I want to branch out a bit and find some other waters.  Anyone else local with interest in meeting for a trip let me know.  

try the confluence of Perk. Cr. w/ Schykill R. near Oaks and explore the Schykill downstream from there, in general -- the right location should produce plenty high teens & low 20's w/ occasional bigger fish...  when deeper holes that "should" hold carp, produce surprisingly few small ones, 20-40+ lb. Flathead(s) may be the reason -- try big live baitfish after dusk

On 7/24/2017 at 8:34 PM, philaroman said:

try the confluence of Perk. Cr. w/ Schykill R. near Oaks and explore the Schykill downstream from there, in general -- the right location should produce plenty high teens & low 20's w/ occasional bigger fish...  when deeper holes that "should" hold carp, produce surprisingly few small ones, 20-40+ lb. Flathead(s) may be the reason -- try big live baitfish after dusk

Thanks for the tip.  I used to fish down in that area as a kid and know the exact location you mean.  If we can get a few days without downpours I'll head down that way to give it a try.  Will let you know how it works out.  

2018 was a very challenging year to try for carp in flowing water here in SC PA. I ended up fishing a lake near me that I'd never fished in for carp previously. The first day I was actually fly fishing for bluegills and noticed carp surfacing nearby, so I cast a few times in the direction and after letting the fly sink a bit I'd retrieve slowly. The ninth cast or so I saw the line twitch and was into a carp which 35 minutes later tipped the scale at 17 pounds.

I went to the truck and got my carp rods out and threw in some pack bait for chum. Then I cast and waited. After an hour I finally got a screaming run and well I got worried several times after seeing the size of the fish that I would lose it. When I did bring it to net and weigh it, I realized I had a new personal best common at 40 pounds 1 ounce.

That's the biggest there so far, but a few good ones were caught and I plan to fish it a lot next season.

There still are some big fish around even though many fall to those ignorant bow hunting f****

I wish people would all respect wildlife but I guess there will always be those who kill just for fun.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:08 PM, RichB said:

What happened to this forum?

Rich! How have you been? You still in PA? A lot of the guys are using facebook now. If you are in PA we have been having events at Prince Gallitzin state park 1-2 times a year now.

Hi!

I am still in PA...went out for a fishing session on the Juniata River last weekend....first time in 4 years....and of course I blanked ! I don’t have Facebook....which is probably why I haven’t seen any activity...

Hi Rich!

Don't know ya/haven't met ya, but I'm right there with ya- I don't have facebook either, and recent events in social media confirm I never will!- peace of mind dontcha know!.. :)

Hi all. Names Matt. Live in york, Pa. Been fishing for carp just over a year and still searching for spots. Found one near me but always looking for someone to fish with.