Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

robm1093

New York Roll Call

New York guys, State your name and location in New York and how and why you got interested in carp angling.

My name is Robert and I started carp fishing wan I was a kid. My uncles Bob and Bill got me interested in saltwater fishing wan I was a kid and also my grandfather Onofrio had some influence , later on I discovered the local town park pond. My friends and I would ride our bicycles down to the park and catch small carp with bread and small red floats. Later on as a teenager I discovered some larger carp before I became more interested in saltwater fishing.

A few years ago after the New York hunting season a friend invited me to go carp fishing and he took me down to the small pond that I fished as a teenager. We caught some carp and this brought back old memories of all the fun I had as a kid going after carp, so I did an internet search and discovered carp anglers group, shortly after I was in contact with ED Wagner and he invited me to my first fish in, after that I was Hooked..

Edited by Bill Stoltz

Hello guys... My name is Ivelin-Ivan... I live in Westchester NY... i began carping about 2 years ago with a 6 foot rod and canned corn lol :) after catching some small fish i began reading about UK and all the famous anglers and techniques... It was the winter of 2009 when I ordered some cheep gear and started fishing in spring.. I did not have much success at all, only one fish about 14 pounds in spring. After vacation I came back and seen a post at Carp Usa Forum from Jason Bernhardt and he invited me to Baldwinsville.. Ohh man I had so much fun with them I will never forget J I been there 5 times for the past couple of months and hopefully one more before December.. So I came across Rob "robm1093 " and he told me about the CAG forum so here I am :D

Hello people

My name is Luke from Brooklyn NY

First time i ever fished was when i didnt even walk . I fish all my life .Since i moved here i fished for bass and saltwater but 2 years back i found out that there are Carp anglers in here so i switched to only fish i know how to fish from back home . I started with simple uglystick , small reel and canned corn with sugar. Since then i "grew up" and got more pro gear for it ;) I like to be different and sure it feels better to fish different style then our Bass fishing comrades.

Well hope to meet ya all on closest fish in , and also hope to get better in carping .

Wishing all the best in 2k11 season

Luke "svk"

My name is Josh, been a life long carper, 5 years almost of serious euro style, I fish mostly the Susquehanna and Seneca rivers and the local

Finger lakes such a's onendaga and Oneida, I have spent time on the st. Lawrence and surrounding river systems, I focus primarily on large carp and travel to find them, I used to fish for walleye and pike and one late opening night of walleye I decided to bait up with some corn and landed a mid 20, obviously I was really hooked it was the largest carp I had ever landed. Soni began to research and develop a strategy and with gear soon to arrive in the mail

I was soon on my way to really learning the euro style. It has been a revelation to me and have had some great success.

Hello Fellow NYers

My name is David St.Onge and I'm from Niagara Falls.I've been fishing for more years than I can remember.Living in my area with Lake Ontario,Lake Erie,Upper and Lower Niagara River and many smaller lakes finding a place for fishing was not a problem.It's deciding what to fish for.As for carp fishing,it's something I did for year but not very often and very low key.Usually took my sons and now my grandkids to a small lake here in the Falls.Lots of small carp and pan fish and easy to catch.About 8 to 10 years ago my friend Lowell King (carpfly)really turned me on to carp fishing.He was moving around some due to jobs and he found some great spots for carpfishing.When I would visit him and starting catching larger carp I was hooked.He got me to join CAG and I starting going to some of the fish-ins in NY and PA.What a blast they are.I have met some really great carp people and some have become good friends.Carp fishing is about the only fishing I do now and I'm happy about it.

Hi all, my name is joel harber. I live in upstate New York. just side of albany,some of you probably know me as a past NY state chair, however i had to step down due to family issues,

i have been fishing from the age of 10-11years old . i grew up fishing old estate lakes and quiet canals in the depths if Kent - England,

from the age of about 14 i fished alot of match fishing waters and even fished in the english open for the county of Kent,

i left the match scene around the age of 17 and from then on out it was carp angling all the way.

i have fished all over england and europe from france,spain,germany,austria,Italy along with other contrys, and have had my self some super fish along the way.

I prefur to fish long seshsions of 3 days to a week or more. but have been known to pop out for short day trips.

i prefur to fish lakes of lager size, and try to aim my pursuit of carp towards the bigger fish normaly aiming my time spent in the same swim/spot for many months of the season this normaly resulting in finding out where the fish are and feeding regiments.

I have to say i Love carp angling with every thing i have, and would never leave it behind me. I joined CAG just over 4 years ago after conecting with a few other carp anglers,

i have enjoyed my stay while i have been here and i look forwards to see CAG grow over the next few years.

Cheers.

Joel.

Hi fellow NY Carpers,

My name is Barry and I live near Catskill Ny. I got started carp fishing around 2006 when an old timer I knew kept buggin me to come down to the Hudson and watch him catch carp. I finally gave in and went to "watch". After a short time he got a fish on and he handed me the pole and that was all it took,I was hooked better than the fish he had on. I started doing some research online and was introduced to whole new world of carp fishing that I never knew exsisted. I also discovered that the old guy was way out of line in the way he fished for the carp and handled the carp.

After buying the proper gear, I soon started to experiment with the "Euro" style of fishing and I started catching fish. I discovered CAG in 07 and joined up and learned even more about this great sport. I'm still learning and I am looking forward to trying different tactics and tackle and places to fish here in NY. So far the only place I've ever fished for carp has been the Hudson. From what I'm seeing and reading NY has some top rated carp waters. I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction...............Tight lines

hey everyone, my name is Adrian. I live in Queens, NY. I practically started carp fishing last year in NJ. Caught some nice sizes in the 20s and definitely got hooked. I love fishing all kind of fish. MY 3 favorite now are CARP, Northern Pike and Stripped Bass. But the ultimate goal is to catch a 40+ pounded carp. O yea and welcome all new CAG members. Tight lines everyone.

Guest plncarpcatcher

Hello, name Phil Nathan. I moved to the USA (again) to live on Long Island. I worked here 23 years ago, loved the place and finally decided to come back and get married to my then girlfriend (of 23 years ago who loves fishing).

My carping has been all european, mostly UK, with some in France. I've fished for 45 years and have fished UK southern and eastern waters throughout the UK.......PB's are Mirror 36lb, Common 29lb and Leather 21lb.I have also caught other species into specimen values including bream, tench and barbel into double figures. I also started off CAN...Carp Assocaition of Norfolk that ran winter carp fishing matches in Norfolk UK. Good fun and great action.

I'm interested in talking to anyone who can get me on the track of some local waters to enable some rod bending to take place and sharing UK knowledge and experience here.....looking forward to speaking with any of you soon. Oh....and my attitude to fishing? If you come to a bridge...always get out and look over it..if you find a lake always walk around it and what ever the size of fish you catch.....it will always be a great fish. Look forward to speaking/emailing/foruming with anyone soon.

hello all, my name is kyle and ive been carp fishing since i was around 14 y/o. been around c.a.g for about five years and have fished with some of the best guys in the sport, as far as im conseried. i mainly fish the hudson river and large ny reservoirs. ive fished conn and mass and look foward to going back out that way again soon. anyone around my way feel free to get in touch with me for a session always enjoy new friends.

My name is mike i have been carp fishing euro style for three years i started because i could always see these big carp jumping off in the distace and never had much luck catching them. So i googled carp fishing got out the credit card and went to town. Most of my fishing has been done on the mohawk river but recently due to the fact that i have moved i spend alot of time fishing the tomy.

hey my name is lyndon and i am from lake luzerne NY, just 20 mins from saratoga. i have fished all my life and fished carp for about 7 years. when a friend brought me along to a day campground, and showed me how he catches them, i was hooked, though the fish were small, and the lost fish abundant i stuck with it.

New York guys, State your name and location in New York and how and why you got interested in carp angling.

My name is Robert and I started carp fishing wan I was a kid. My uncles Bob and Bill got me interested in saltwater fishing wan I was a kid and also my grandfather Onofrio had some influence , later on I discovered the local town park pond. My friends and I would ride our bicycles down to the park and catch small carp with bread and small red floats. Later on as a teenager I discovered some larger carp before I became more interested in saltwater fishing.

A few years ago after the New York hunting season a friend invited me to go carp fishing and he took me down to the small pond that I fished as a teenager. We caught some carp and this brought back old memories of all the fun I had as a kid going after carp, so I did an internet search and discovered carp anglers group, shortly after I was in contact with ED Wagner and he invited me to my first fish in, after that I was Hooked..

Fisherman named Brian,milkcrate, fished decades for trout, panfish, steelhead and smallmouth. Last July watched a couple men fishing for carp on different occations in Green Island, Rick handed me a rod and a carper was born. 100 carp and 153 cats sinse then. Need guildence but progress not perfection. Fish the Hudson almost daily.Things seem to have slowed down recently.Using old steelhead gear.

Hi! I'm Ben and live within spitting distance of the Erie Canal as it passes through Wayne Co. The idea of specifically targeting carp has slowly been been solidify in my mind since I saw a catalog discription for a book about taking carp with a fly rod, and thought that it would be an interesting challange. The idea really started to take root about 2 summers ago when I was fishing the canal and heard quite the commotion around a bend in the bank. When I investigated I found a mess of clooping carp and recalled the book I had read about. Last summer I made my first carp specific fishing venture. This summer I hope to take my 1st carp on the fly and from my kayak. If you are in the Pal-Mac area or will be passing through this summer shoot me a PM. See ya on the water!

Edited by bbeals

Hello NY carpers! My name is Aaron and I am brand new to CAG, and started to fish for carp last year. I'm hoping to meet some good people to fish with, learn from, and share with. I've met a few other carpers and noticed that thankfully, they are excited to help us greenhorns, and enjoy the camaraderie of fishing with friends as much as I do. I decided to target carp after catching one on one of my bass rods. I just put some store bought dough bait on an improvised hair, no loop just a tiny spring tied to where the loop would be. I caught a nice common of around 12 pounds and was hooked! ( pun intended ) I hope to hear from and meet some of you soon! Tight lines!

Welcome, just started carpin last season myself. I'm not in your immediate area(about 2hours south) but would be happy to share any info that I have learned with you. I'm in Eastchester.

Are there any members from Rochester Area ?

Hello, I'm Frank Bateman. I live in Waddington, NY up on the Canadian border. I'm lucky enough to live a block away from one of the best carping swims in the area. I began carp fishing about 6 years ago when my son did the St. Lawrence Junior Carp Tournament for the first time. After that we were both hooked on carping. Been fairly obsessed with it ever since.

Good fishing to you all New York Carpers!

Hi guys,

My name is Terry, and have been Euro-carping for about one full year so far. It has been a year full of trial and error, and lots of reading. It started with catfishing, and watching these bulbous carp slamming the water all around us. The addiction did not take long to set in, as I had a rod pod, a couple of alarms, and a couple 12' rods within a month. We actually had some good days on our local rivers using corn. I was fortunate enough to land a couple of mid 20's in my first couple trips. I have a feeling that those early trips hooked me for life. I hope I can be a good addition to what you folks have going on, and look forward to meeting some of you all.

Tight lines, and screaming alarms!

Are there any members from Rochester Area ?

I have been a pole fisherman for the past thirty years, it gets me some funny looks. Never thought I would change to a carp fisherman but I got sick of catching small fish.

Earlier this year I had to return to England for a funeral. Brought back some inline feeders, hair rigs etc. from the local tackle shop

Using my old ABU Ledger Rod I tried an inlet off Lake Ontario. I caught three decent carp. That was it and I have not picked up my pole since.

Looking for other carp fisherman around Western NY

My name is Jim and I live in Lake Ronkonkoma, the hamlet not the lake itself. I first learned how to fish by fishing the lake and then moved to salt water for many years. Now I have some young grandchildren who are ready to start fishing and I thought Carp would be a good way for them to get hooked on the sport. I was surprised to see so much praise for the Carp as they were considered pest when I first fished the lake and have yet to catch one so I have not way of judging their sport qualities yet.

My Name is Sam Williams i been fishing for carp since i was a kid living in the UK and now i been in the Hudson valley Hyde park area for the past 15 years, i have only fished on the hudson river at Norrie point PB has been 27lb 8oz