Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Ol Captain

Coosa River Shad!

Coosa River Shad!!

Cool Dad and I didn’t fish today but we did wander over to Alabama to do a little scouting. In just an hour and a half we found ourselves on the Coosa River below the Dam that creates Lake Weiss. It was a beautiful day for a scouting trip & both Cool Dad and The Ultimate Carp Hound seemed to be enjoying the cool, crisp December air.

WEissDamDec3rd018.jpg

WEissDamDec3rd024.jpg

The Weiss Dam looks very much like the other Dams that we have seen in Alabama.

WEissDamDec3rd022.jpg

WEissDamDec3rd021.jpg

WEissDamDec3rd006.jpg

WEissDamDec3rd010.jpg

WEissDamDec3rd003.jpg

I did however, notice two differences!! One was the width of the river here and the other difference was the incredible number of Shad that we saw near the rocks!!!

WEissDamDec3rd017.jpg

I immediately thought of my two Cat fishing friends and wondered if these Shad would be good Cat bait!! I’m not sure what type of Shad they are but I’m sure someone will respond to enlighten me.

It just so happens that WKORN was on the spot to try and captures some of these fish. The quality of the video stinks but hopefully you will catch a glimpse of what we witnessed today.

There was not a Carp in sight my friends but we sure did see some Coosa River Shad!!

Maybe we will run into you sometime while we are out & about. If not, then why don’t you come see us??

Hey Captain, great pics, thanks. :)

I don't know what species are in there but shad is candy for all predator fish, largies, smallmouth, stripers, cats, gar etc...

Try netting a few shad and bait it up, you might get a stinking monster.

Edited by SD2

Hey Captain, great pics, thanks. :)

I don't know what species are in there but shad is candy for all predator fish, largies, smallmouth, stripers, cats, gar etc...

Try netting a few shad and bait it up, you might get a stinking monster.

Thanks! I was told that they were Threadfin Shad

This is Mike Bolton with Alabama Outdoor News Magazine. I found a photo of Weiss Dam on your website. I need a photo of Weiss Dam. What are the chances of me using it? Also, I would love to do a carp fishing story in Alabama. Any of your members I might contact?

Could you get a decent photo from Google Earth?  Or do a search if you can't use the published one you requested.