• Announcements

FishermanSudit

Field Corn Questions

0 posts in this topic

OK, I have some newbish questions about field corn since I haven't used it yet. I've read quite a bit on forums on how to prepare field corn for carp fishing, but what do you do with it after you prepare it? Do you just store it in a sealed container? Do you have to refrigerate it? And how long does it keep? Thanks in advance for the input smile.gif

Hey Brian,

After I boil my corn, I usually let it sit overnight to cool and then put it in the fridge to help preserve the freshness. I think I've had corn in the fridge for 2+ weeks before starting to notice it turning. Personally, I don't like the fermentation that comes from allowing corn to set out, but others swear by it. I think it comes down to personal preference and what works for you.

Some people will also add rock salt to their bucket of corn to cope with the fermentation smell. It is also used as an attractant. Again, this comes down to what works for you. I am unsure how much to add so maybe someone could chime in with their experience.

Also, I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket that is sealed and make sure there are a few inches of water over top of the corn.

Hope this helps,

Vince

If I'm fishing in the warmer months and I have left over corn I'll usualy take it home and freeze it ( If I care at the time). It'll last a long time if you package it to avoid freezer burn.

In the cooler months it will keep for a while in the trunk of your car depending on the temps.

If you add suger to your corn and put it in a "sealed container" the fermentation may lead to the lid popping off resulting in a mess.

F.Sudit,

First, I should say W E L C O M E !!

Corn is one of those commodities you don't have to "store". Depending on what you've read and determined to be what you're going to do you need to clairify "how to perpare field corn" a little better. We all "think" we know what you are talking about but really this is a good way to get into trouble. Telling a guy what to do before we know what he has in mind.

While you can make a big gob it usually isn't necessary. I usually make small a gob and give the fish the leftovers. Give us a little more scoop on what you "plan" to do. Then we can tell you how to "keep" it if you so choose.

Phone

Thanks for all the feed back. I was planning on preparing the field corn by soaking it in water for roughly 24hrs then boiling it for 30-45min. From what I've read that seems what one needs to do to make it safe for the fish. On what I was planning on doing with it afterwards was using it to prebait a spot in the local river that seems not to freeze this time of year due to the warm water coming from the water treatment plant and I was also planning on using it on a hair rig and possibly using it in a mix to put in a mesh pva bag.

Thanks for all the feed back. I was planning on preparing the field corn by soaking it in water for roughly 24hrs then boiling it for 30-45min. From what I've read that seems what one needs to do to make it safe for the fish. On what I was planning on doing with it afterwards was using it to prebait a spot in the local river that seems not to freeze this time of year due to the warm water coming from the water treatment plant and I was also planning on using it on a hair rig and possibly using it in a mix to put in a mesh pva bag.

Water treatment plant? Hold on to your hat!

These areas will hold a lot of carp.

When you chum, throw a bit close to shore where you can see it. If its not there the next day, you will know that carp are in the area.

Do let us know how it goes :)

You got it!

I typically fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full of corn then to top with water.

After soaking 24+ hours add more water & boil 30-40 mins with 1/2 cup salt added.

If you like add flavor and or color as it cools.

You'll need to dry off the grains or add more salt (just to ones for the bag)to prevent PVA dissolving.

Buy good quality feed corn to avoid a lot of powder and sweepings...

What are some good lakes or rivers around Ohio for carp? Living here in Kettering I only know of two lakes with carp.

What are some good lakes or rivers around Ohio for carp? Living here in Kettering I only know of two lakes with carp.

I live like 15 minutes north of you. I have all kinda places to fish if you wanna PM me. I would love another fishing partner.

ehay,

W E L C O M E !!

You have LOT of guys on the CAG board from OHIO. You sort of "snuck" your first post into this thread. Don't be shy. Start a thread and introduce yourself. You'll get lots of replys.

Phone

Since we are on the topic of Corn the Common Carp seem to me anyways to be more attracted to the corn after it has started to ferment . What are others feeling on this ??

Robt,

Seems to me - just a feeling - fermented is more of a North American thing. Euro guys seem to prefer boiled and or sour as opposed to fermented. Not to say Euro don't use fermented, heck, they would use the kitchen sink if they could get it to popup. It's just that more often than not they talk fermented third, after boiled and spoiled.

As for me, I like fermented but not necessairly better. It just doesn't make the mess and stink like sour corn. Actually I am a "tin of sweetcorn" guy.

Phone

I love the sweet corn as well just the price can get high I am typically prebaiting for 3 or 4 people and we are fishing almost every Monday and Tuesday at my spot now they will be prebaiting the lake for me now that the water level is up so it works out

So is corn thats turned and smells foul a carp bait or a carp deterent? I fished a spot the other day thats recently produced some good fish but got skunked. The only thing I could come up with is that the corn I used was really stinky and may have deterred the fish rather than attracted them.

Edited by FrankB

No its not the corn,even the best swims dont produce fish everytime...

Couple tid bits I didn't see mentioned in this thread:

If you leave your corn out to soak...after so much time it will start to bubble and produce gases...DON'T put your lid on tightly..just lay it on....if not you might wake up one night to a big BOOM and a heckuva mess.

Also...regarding salt if storing long term.....salt hardens and dehydrates....that's exactly why 'way back when" everything was packed in salt barrels...took out the moisture of things to keep it from spoiling. Putting salts in corn you're gonna freeze...think about it...we salt roads to rid them of ice and to keep from freezing. Not to mention it will dehydrate and promote freezer burn. Don't get me wrong...salt's a great additive to various baits. I just keep it out of my corn as I put alot of work into "softening" it. Too much salt will harden it.

Welcome to the forum! I was born and raised in Ohio. Not too many places that don't have carp. I had to chuckle when you mentioned the wastewater treatment plant. When I was growing up, carp were known as sewer bass, among other things. Obviously, they weren't held in high regard. I like catching them and admiring them for their fight. Take Bill up on the invitation.

Great advice as always Bob. Many thanks for sharing.