• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FishermanSudit

FishermanSudit

Advanced Poster

• Forum Guest
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

OK, I have some newbish questions about field corn since I haven't used it yet. I've read quite a bit on forums on how to prepare field corn for carp fishing, but what do you do with it after you prepare it? Do you just store it in a sealed container? Do you have to refrigerate it? And how long does it keep? Thanks in advance for the input Posted Image

#2 Vinsanity

Vinsanity

Uber Poster

• CAG Member
  • 455 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Phil Davenport

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hey Brian,

After I boil my corn, I usually let it sit overnight to cool and then put it in the fridge to help preserve the freshness. I think I've had corn in the fridge for 2+ weeks before starting to notice it turning. Personally, I don't like the fermentation that comes from allowing corn to set out, but others swear by it. I think it comes down to personal preference and what works for you.

Some people will also add rock salt to their bucket of corn to cope with the fermentation smell. It is also used as an attractant. Again, this comes down to what works for you. I am unsure how much to add so maybe someone could chime in with their experience.

Also, I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket that is sealed and make sure there are a few inches of water over top of the corn.

Hope this helps,
Vince

#3 hairwig

hairwig

I can put on my own socks

• State Chair
  • 3,686 posts
  • Who Referred you?:NA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

If I'm fishing in the warmer months and I have left over corn I'll usualy take it home and freeze it ( If I care at the time). It'll last a long time if you package it to avoid freezer burn.

In the cooler months it will keep for a while in the trunk of your car depending on the temps.

If you add suger to your corn and put it in a "sealed container" the fermentation may lead to the lid popping off resulting in a mess.

Strive to be humble  

#4 Guest_phonebush_*

Guest_phonebush_*
  • Visitor

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

F.Sudit,

First, I should say W E L C O M E !!

Corn is one of those commodities you don't have to "store". Depending on what you've read and determined to be what you're going to do you need to clairify "how to perpare field corn" a little better. We all "think" we know what you are talking about but really this is a good way to get into trouble. Telling a guy what to do before we know what he has in mind.

While you can make a big gob it usually isn't necessary. I usually make small a gob and give the fish the leftovers. Give us a little more scoop on what you "plan" to do. Then we can tell you how to "keep" it if you so choose.

Phone

#5 Paul Pezalla

Paul Pezalla

CAG Ambassador

• CAG Member
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

10SESH wil keep corn (or just about any bait) fresh for ages.

Paul Pezalla

#6 FishermanSudit

FishermanSudit

Advanced Poster

• Forum Guest
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the feed back. I was planning on preparing the field corn by soaking it in water for roughly 24hrs then boiling it for 30-45min. From what I've read that seems what one needs to do to make it safe for the fish. On what I was planning on doing with it afterwards was using it to prebait a spot in the local river that seems not to freeze this time of year due to the warm water coming from the water treatment plant and I was also planning on using it on a hair rig and possibly using it in a mix to put in a mesh pva bag.

#7 alex

alex

Obsessed Carper

• CAG Member
  • 1,487 posts
  • Who Referred you?:carp

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

That will work
PB's
common 36lb 12oz
mirror 32lb
grass 45lb 6oz
buffalo 33lb 9oz
blue cat 49lb +

#8 Slimy

Slimy

• Director
  • 2,352 posts
  • Interests:Methodology
  • Who Referred you?:......... Paul Wells

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the feed back. I was planning on preparing the field corn by soaking it in water for roughly 24hrs then boiling it for 30-45min. From what I've read that seems what one needs to do to make it safe for the fish. On what I was planning on doing with it afterwards was using it to prebait a spot in the local river that seems not to freeze this time of year due to the warm water coming from the water treatment plant and I was also planning on using it on a hair rig and possibly using it in a mix to put in a mesh pva bag.

Water treatment plant? Hold on to your hat!
These areas will hold a lot of carp.
When you chum, throw a bit close to shore where you can see it. If its not there the next day, you will know that carp are in the area.
Do let us know how it goes :)

#9 Savayman

Savayman

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:Light Tackle & Fly Fishing, Motor Sports. Originally joined CAG in 1995...
  • Who Referred you?:Nigel Griffin

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

You got it!

I typically fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full of corn then to top with water.

After soaking 24+ hours add more water & boil 30-40 mins with 1/2 cup salt added.

If you like add flavor and or color as it cools.

You'll need to dry off the grains or add more salt (just to ones for the bag)to prevent PVA dissolving.

Buy good quality feed corn to avoid a lot of powder and sweepings...

North American Distributor for Saxon Hexalite Rods, Delkim Alarms, Spomb, TFG Leaders and More!

Click here to Visit the SAXON TACKLE Web Site for more details and dealer outlets

Click here to Follow SAXON TACKLE on Facebook

USA PB:   Common: 43.04    Mirror: 46.04    Grass: 53.12

#10 Guest_ehay1122_*

Guest_ehay1122_*
  • Visitor

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

What are some good lakes or rivers around Ohio for carp? Living here in Kettering I only know of two lakes with carp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users