Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

KingCarp

Advanced Photography

I'm not a photographer, but do know what not to do by now. I often see pictures that need some TLC and always offer assistance. So if you need help don't hesitate to ask me.

I hope Jérôme won't mind posting his picture as an example..its published in NACA anyway.

Always sent the biggest photo file you got, Jérôme's was a very small file, I'm waiting for the original.

Before,

jerome19.jpg

After

jerome19copy.jpg

Edited by KingCarp

I would have fixed the eye, as you did and then removed the "hardware" at the tale by cloning. I would have done nothing else as his natural skin tones appear (to my eye) a bit too red. Editing is always, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.

Here is my version.

post-2842-0-66729600-1296235690.jpg

`

Edited by Craig

I would have fixed the eye, as you did and then removed the "hardware" at the tale by cloning. I would have done nothing else as his natural skin tones appear (to my eye) a bit too red. Editing is always, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.

Here is my version.

post-2842-0-66729600-1296235690.jpg

The biggest problem what people forget is that most don't have a color management system. Let me guess, your monitor isn't calibrated?

Photo's straight from the camera usually have an sRGB color profile, which is a limited color range.

Only thing I did was;

A- attach a Adobe RGB1998 color profile [much bigger color range.

B- removed red eye

C- touched up the flesh wound and scratches at the head.

Did not change anything...sure could have removed the headlight.

Another thing, when you catch a 44lb carp and make 25 or so pictures, how do you think your face would look like?

And I do have a color management system, top monitor at full HD resolution, calibrated monitor.

PS 'cloning tool' is standard in Photoshop

Edited by KingCarp

"150Kb file to work with"

You did good. to bring it up to print quality with out breakdown.

nice work.

That "cloning" tool you mentioned Craig, does this take a particular software?

Josh i can get you a full copy of (PS) = Photoshop - CS5, are you on a MAC or PC?

it has every thing you would need to fully post edit any of your photography, "inc cloning tools"

I feel no matter what your shooting it should be in RAW, This will give the editor more to play with and you a full image, its a larger file but worth it at the end of the day,

Very true, RAW is the deal,..even when you f&%k up your photo, later you can easily change Aperture and Whitebalance

The tips probably go a bit too fast for most now. That's why I called it Advanced Phtography

As I stated at the start I only got a 150Kb file to work with.

When you shoot in RAW, the original RAW file always remains , like the old negative/slide so to speak. You just choose to make a jpg or tiff. The RAW file you keep, just in case as the slide/negative

The better quality camera's offer you the option to shoot a RAW and a Jpg at the same time.

The jpg you guys see, is what your camera chose to do with the internal 'raw' file, contrast, color, sharpen. In RAW you have to do that yourself.

An example'

I found a bad RAW photo;

rawm.jpg

First I attach a color profile- Adobe RGB1998;

kleurprofieladobergb199.jpg

Now I correct Aperture and Whitebalance;

kleurcorrectie.jpg

And finally a few small corrections in Shadows;

kleurcorrectie.jpg

Of course a bad photo will never become a great photo, but look at the difference.

@ Kingcarp,

Nice topic by the way, could be some thing to pin as seprate toppic for thos that like photography,

for every one to post in about there walkabouts, and photography in genral.

Cheers.

Joel.

Edited by joel

Thanks Joel, that was the general idea!

Maybe a bit too advanced for most, for that reason I say...you think I can improve your picture, sent it to me!

Josh i can get you a full copy of (PS) = Photoshop - CS5, are you on a MAC or PC?

it has every thing you would need to fully post edit any of your photography, "inc cloning tools"

I got a macypoo Joel. An older PowerBook g4, and that would be awesome!

Very true, RAW is the deal,..even when you f&%k up your photo, later you can easily change Aperture and Whitebalance

The tips probably go a bit too fast for most now. That's why I called it Advanced Phtography

King,

I actually think that the second picture, the adobe color profile added is the nicest IMO, how do you add a color profile? I'm not very familiar with photo editing but I can try and keep up

As I stated at the start I only got a 150Kb file to work with.

When you shoot in RAW, the original RAW file always remains , like the old negative/slide so to speak. You just choose to make a jpg or tiff. The RAW file you keep, just in case as the slide/negative

The better quality camera's offer you the option to shoot a RAW and a Jpg at the same time.

The jpg you guys see, is what your camera chose to do with the internal 'raw' file, contrast, color, sharpen. In RAW you have to do that yourself.

An example'

I found a bad RAW photo;

rawm.jpg

First I attach a color profile- Adobe RGB1998;

kleurprofieladobergb199.jpg

Now I correct Aperture and Whitebalance;

kleurcorrectie.jpg

And finally a few small corrections in Shadows;

kleurcorrectie.jpg

Of course a bad photo will never become a great photo, but look at the difference.

I got a macypoo Joel. An older PowerBook g4, and that would be awesome!

As an avid Mac user I'm sorry to have to tell you Photoshop CS5 isn't going to run on your PowerBook, maybe an older version CS3 might work reasonably. Also depending on how much RAM you have.

King,

I actually think that the second picture, the adobe color profile added is the nicest IMO, how do you add a color profile? I'm not very familiar with photo editing but I can try and keep up

Read what I mentioned about a calibrated monitor.

Simply said, when you go to a shop where they sell TV's, you can see that there is no monitor with the same colors. So it is possible that for your monitor picture 2 looks best.

That also is the biggest problem for uncalibrated monitors, because when you sent me that picture to me its colors are not correct at all!

Setting up Photoshop, the first thing you should do is choose the Color Settings in the Edit menu.

You can also open the picture in Mac's Preview and than under EXTRA's choose- ASSIGN PROFILE. Maybe for the time being you're better off without Photoshop because your PowerBook will have a hard time with it.

As stated before in most cases just adding the color profile makes for a lot more vivid colors and a much wider range.

But you should get some more basic knowledge before you do too much...let's go step by step.

Photoshop Color Settings tutorial

Some basic cloning tool tips;

I always shoot in Raw. However nowadays I dont use PS too much unless I am messing around with extreme/harsh lighting and exposures. I use Lightroom to help correct whitebalance and play around with levels a bit...

I really like playing around with filters now. I almost always shoot with a 2-stop ND grad filter and warm intensifier, and i just put in an order for a blue-and-gold and purple reverse ND...cannot wait

57982_1618536821787_1187388802_31780334_5636324_n.jpg

65001_1744430089040_1187388802_32038595_2836572_n.jpg

8335_1254913931442_1187388802_30786624_5780244_n.jpg

19733_1316552392365_1187388802_30971392_845878_n.jpg

19733_1316563592645_1187388802_30971418_2985892_n.jpg

19733_1316563672647_1187388802_30971420_2795219_n.jpg

19733_1316563752649_1187388802_30971421_3091175_n.jpg

Nice pictures Frog, I can see you don't need much help either. :rolleyes:

I can see from the type of pictures, that where you shoot filters are highly beneficial, the tropical, the ocean.

My needs are covered with a pretty good circular polafilter.

For this photo I didn't use that filter, but should have done. DSLR

30stek4.jpg

That's my view from may to july, expecting to catch....

sunsetsd.jpg

spiegeltjeii.jpg

KingofCarp, where are you fishing? Those are some beautiful swims and fish!

Hi frog, well KingofCarp is someone elses forum name, mine I got since I was partner in a Carp Tackle Wholesale co, named KingCarp.

My swims are all in the greater Montreal area where I created my own niche, since 1987! http://www.canadiancarpsafari.com/

I stay there may through october

Picture taken with my old analog Canon A1, Canadian PB. 108 cm.

bigboyii.jpg

watervliegtuigland.jpg

Continuing the theme --- I too have been sold on RAW as the best digital format. I have been reading (on the excellent CEMEX Photo forum) that the best 'point and shoot' camera that will do RAW as well as a sensible (programmable) delay feature is the Canon G11/12?

Any thoughts, those of you who know this stuff??

- I don't want the cost (or size/weight) of a full digital SLR for my Carp protography...

I'd appreciate any vierws

Tim

Edited by UKTim