Advanced Photography - Camera Settings

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 KingCarp

KingCarp

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Carpfishing, photography, rodbuilding, coffee barista style, Apple computers, music and movies.
  • Who Referred you?:nobody

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm starting this separate topic, because most will otherwise quickly loose track of the basics.
First I think its better I show you how to make better use of your camera, the problem pictures I will take care off.
For questions about the settings its better to do that here.
Please do not quote to much, it will make it hard for others to keep track. Thanks.

Camera settings for self-portrait with fish.

I bet that 80% of you guys, whether you own a compact or a reflex camera only use the AUTO setting, unfortunately.
I would like to offer you a few changes in your settings that will dramatically improve your ability to make a better photo;

I advise you to change the settings as advised below for self-portrait with fish and do not change! These settings will also do for landscape pictures.

A- Set your camera to the A for Aperture preference mode. [sometimes called AV]
B- Set the aperture value- the F value at a minimum of f5,6 or for reflex camera’s f8,0
C- Choose highest possible resolution, preferable RAW or highest jpg mode.
D- Set fixed Red-Eye correction.

ISO value compensates for dark or sunny conditions; AWB means it fixes it automatically,
When its very sunny ISO 50 or 100 will do best.
In low light setting -cloudy day ISO 400-800 will do much better.
For flash, set camera at lowest ISO, 50 better than 100

Test your flash at home, each camera has 'flash compensation', try it!
Do not take flash pictures head on, better at an angle to prevent too much 'flashburn'

Better to have background cover instead of water and sky, why you ask?
Camera will measure an average, as water and sky cover biggest part of the picture this will result in you and the fish being too dark.
You can change to 'spotmetering', now the camera will focus on the center of the picture.

Edited by KingCarp, 28 January 2011 - 08:47 PM.

Posted Image

HOOKED FOR LIFE

#2 Willem (JD)

Willem (JD)

"Veni, Vidi, Victus Sum"

• Admin
  • 4,242 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Google :)

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Start Each of your photography topics with "Advanced Photography -

I will Pin them and add them to another section at a later stage.

willem@carpanglersgroup.com

bug.gifbug.gifbug.gifbug.gif

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a PAYING CAG member just like any other paying member in this club. Please don't pull that "BOD so you think this or that" on me.

I'm a CAG member FIRST (Webmaster 2nd and BOD member last) and that give me just as much right as YOU to speak my mind about ANYTHING club related.

So if you don't LIKE what I've got to say, don't use the age old lame "You think you can say what you want because you're on the BOD".

I say what I want because I'm "ME", I say what I want because it's my right as an AMERICAN CITIZEN to speak my mind FREELY.

If I don't agree with you, get over it and move on. My main function is to maintain everything CAG WEB Related, NOT to kiss your butt and agree with you, nor to say stuff just so I don't hurt your feelings.

So please keep in mind that if you choose to ask for an opinion or say something I don't agree with, I will speak my mind as a PAYING CAG MEMBER.

#3 carpaholic125

carpaholic125

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 1,824 posts
  • Interests:specimen carp
  • Who Referred you?:NA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Explain reflex camer please king.

#4 Willem (JD)

Willem (JD)

"Veni, Vidi, Victus Sum"

• Admin
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Explain reflex camer please king.

"SLR" Single Lens Reflex.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a PAYING CAG member just like any other paying member in this club. Please don't pull that "BOD so you think this or that" on me.

I'm a CAG member FIRST (Webmaster 2nd and BOD member last) and that give me just as much right as YOU to speak my mind about ANYTHING club related.

So if you don't LIKE what I've got to say, don't use the age old lame "You think you can say what you want because you're on the BOD".

I say what I want because I'm "ME", I say what I want because it's my right as an AMERICAN CITIZEN to speak my mind FREELY.

If I don't agree with you, get over it and move on. My main function is to maintain everything CAG WEB Related, NOT to kiss your butt and agree with you, nor to say stuff just so I don't hurt your feelings.

So please keep in mind that if you choose to ask for an opinion or say something I don't agree with, I will speak my mind as a PAYING CAG MEMBER.

#5 carpaholic125

carpaholic125

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 1,824 posts
  • Interests:specimen carp
  • Who Referred you?:NA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

So my fuji finepix s1000d isn't an slr correct?

#6 Willem (JD)

Willem (JD)

"Veni, Vidi, Victus Sum"

• Admin
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

So my fuji finepix s1000d isn't an slr correct?

Correct, your S1000D is what I call a " "SLR" styled" camera. The look and feel, but not SLR.

SLR's could always be identified by the fact that they had interchangeable lenses and normal digitals not. But these days they are making NON-SLR's with changeable lenses.

To Whom It May Concern:

#7 KingCarp

KingCarp

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Carpfishing, photography, rodbuilding, coffee barista style, Apple computers, music and movies.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

I'll do that and thanks for the help Willem!
Due to the time difference I wasn't able to help, just woke up! The Advanced Photography topic kept me up until 03.30.

Willem already explained nicely Carpaholic, but here you can find more.

http://www.digicamgu...vs-compact.html

Posted Image

HOOKED FOR LIFE

#8 KingCarp

KingCarp

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

Whitebalance; when you set your camera for RAW you can simply use AWB or Automatic White Balance, because its easy to correct on your computer.

A tutorial;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2g8tRS5rk

Posted Image

HOOKED FOR LIFE

#9 KingCarp

KingCarp

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:48 AM

RAW vs Jpg tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UOJFIs8hWM

Posted Image

HOOKED FOR LIFE

#10 kentlakecarper

kentlakecarper

Proud new dad!

• Director
  • 7,841 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Internet search

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

Very helpful,
thanks for taking the time to explain this and the videos are great.

Great job :)

PB Common = 37lb 6oz
PB Mirror = 20lb 2oz
PB Grass Carp = 49lb 4 oz

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users