Carp Anglers Group Forums
kentlakecarper

Michigan 2011 Calendar Of Events

Hello All,

Every year during the Annual Curry/Gear swap/Fundraiser/Raffle we start the day off with a couple hours of social meet and greet and then jump into setting our calendar of events through discussion leading to a majority vote.

Through discussions with many of the Michigan members over the course of last year and thus far this year, we decided to go with a smaller calendar of events. We dropped from 10 down to 6 official events.

We discussed 11 venues and decided on the 6 for this 2011 year.

We had no representation from the far north or the west side this year at the annual event. So yes, the calendar of events by majority vote will be designated around the central/South Eastern portion of the state.

This by no means should discourage nor exclude any of our members willing to host an event in any other venue or part of the state and we hope to see individuals stepping up and hosting something.

When I say official events, that means that we have a traditional carp pin at stake for the angler who catches the largest carp from 10am-5pm (with exception to the Erie event). This year we spent a bit more money on some special GOLD CARP PINS (which are freakin awesome). We also will have a raffle at each of these events. You will recieve one or more raffle tickets just for attending. Lots of goodies throughout the year will be raffled off. And last but not least we aim more for the social interaction and will be doing our best to organize food/drink for all events.

With that said our Calendar is as follows:

April 2nd is the Season opener at Erie Metro Park from 12-7pm. We encourage everyone to meet and greet at the lil Dipper (9ish am - 11ish)just a few miles down the road for an early Lunch and to socialize. The owners name is Richard who has really stepped up and showed his support for our group and we encourage everyone to check out his store.

An unofficial 2nd annual boat outing will be held at Belleville Lake on April 16th. This will pit boat vs. boat in total carp caught. This particular lake is loaded with smaller to mid teen carp and you have an excellent chance of catching 20-30+ plus carp each angler. A real Haul fest even in crappy conditions. The lake is so shocked full that anglers from last years event have stated that the carp will actually bump into your boat.

Our 2nd official event is to be held on the Saginaw River for the whole weekend of May 13th, 14th, 15th. This will be a non competitive camping, eating, social haul fest.

Our 3rd official event is the return to Kent Lake, June 12th where our group started from. This will also be the celebration of a couple of our Birthdays and in years past has been an excellent venue for family, fun and excitment.

Our 4th Official event will be On the Flint River, July 9th. We all know that some real hogs and many PB's have come from here so we're very excited to see what the results will be this year.

Our 5th Official Event will be a new venue in the Detroit River on August 13th.

Our 6th Official event will be our Season closer at Ford Lake on September 24th.

2 other Events to take note of will be:

The Chicago Carp Classic (CCC) on Septemebr 9th,10th, and 11th.

check it out here: http://www.chicagocarpclassic.com/

I would love to see some of the Michigan crew representing. My wife an I will be attending and would love company.

The other is the CAG Discovery month of October. This is an exploration of new venues and the tales and stories leading up to your fishing adventure and the results.

I highly encourage others to take part in this event as it can be extremely rewarding. I have a few waters I wish to target this year and again would love company.

Each Event will have a seperate thread as the dates near for final details and discussion.

Tight lines and I wish you all the best this season!!

Andy

Yes, the 9th works for me and I'll take the lead. Looking forward to it!

Cool Thanks Mark,

looking forward to it...Just a suggestion, but we may need to split into 2 or 3 groups....

Guest raisinrat

Yes, the 9th works for me and I'll take the lead. Looking forward to it!

so where does this happen on the river I might try to play for that day off.

Agree. We'll wait and see how many are interested and what the river conditions will be like. At a minimum, we'll fish the sme spots as last year's tourney, plus there's plenty of overflow spots further downstream. It might help if we make this a 2 rod event too. Thoughts?

Cool Thanks Mark,

looking forward to it...Just a suggestion, but we may need to split into 2 or 3 groups....

We normally fish near the Bray Rd. Fishing access site just North of Carpenter Rd. This is the area below Mott Lake.

so where does this happen on the river I might try to play for that day off.

Guest raisinrat

We normally fish near the Bray Rd. Fishing access site just North of Carpenter Rd. This is the area below Mott Lake.

got a map of the area ? That way I got an idea of drive time and what not.

got a map of the area ? That way I got an idea of drive time and what not.

Google the intersection of Bray and Carpenter...it is right there.

Pray for low water...that will open up some bank space for yall :)

Guest raisinrat

Do we have to use carp rods or can i use a heavy duty spinning reel? Im new to carp fishing haha.

if its a rod and reel that is all that matters

Do we have to use carp rods or can i use a heavy duty spinning reel? Im new to carp fishing haha.

Hey man nice to see you on here...this is Frogfish101 from MS.

I fished for 3 years using 9ft Uglystiks and 4000 sized reels and did just fine! :)

I fished for 3 years using 9ft Uglystiks and 4000 sized reels and did just fine! :)

Well that's arguable! :lol:B):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I still haven't seen you catch a carp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If I remember correctly at the last Ford Fish-in you were too busy watching Ryan catch fish to notice me haulin :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I remember correctly at the last Ford Fish-in you were too busy watching Ryan catch fish to notice me haulin :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got me there! :P:D:D:P:P:P

Thanks buddy! Lookin forward to fishin ford lake! Where are you comin back. Talked to austin and we're plannin to fish ford soon!!!! Ill have to give you guys directions to my secret carp gold mine here on the rouge in dearborn!

You guys still fishing the 9th of July? I haven't fished MI. in awhile and might have to visit. Need some new water. Let me see if I can arrange it. Would you all mind if I showed you how to carp fish with kev's old reels? :lol::lol::lol: later

Be great to have ya Tracy,

We're still planning on the 9th for the Flint River.

94 east to 69 north to 475 north.

Looking for the Dort Highway exit off of I-475. Go straight once you get off the exit. Now looking for Carpenter Road and you will take a right. Approximate 2 miles down.

Once on Carpenter road your looking for Bray Rd on your left about 1.5 miles down. Take a left and then you will see the parking lot for the park on your right hand side. badda bing.

You can also look up Mott Lake and oull up the directions off map quest.

post-1096-0-34532200-1309209798_thumb.pn

post-1096-0-76576000-1309209811_thumb.pn

post-1096-0-08224900-1309209844_thumb.pn

Before I finalize, 3 questions. #1 how fast is the water? #2 How's the structure and depth? #3 How clear is it? Makes packing the car easier if I don't have to bring the kitchen sink(might need it to hold bottom in REALLY fast current). :lol: It's only 4.5 hours drive time, I've travelled further. later

Also, If you see this mug sleeping in a black avalanche when you get there. That's me! later

CHIBIGTEE, here ya go:

Edited by Santiago