23 replies to this topic

#1 cubzzz

cubzzz

Obsessed Carper

• CAG Member
  • 541 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Brid

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

I am going back to Iowa and am taking 10 kids carp fishing. I read an article in a magazine years and years ago (1980's or 1990's)about a college that did a study and found the carp had the highest IQ. They put the different kinds of fish to test and the carp was the smartest fish - they had mazes - feeding times - light panel - and the carp did better than - bass - trout - and all the other fish they tested. I think the study was done by the University of Michigan but I am not sure.
I would like to find this in information so I can give it to the kids so they can feel good about catching the smartest fish. I have a carp trophy for the week of carp fishing so the kids will want to win. Phone know all there is in the world of carp so I will test his IQ.

Thanks
Jeff

#2 Idaho Carpin

Idaho Carpin

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 1,355 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Neils from Rome NY

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:18 AM

That would be a cool article to have on hand when spreading the word on carp fishing. Please post if anyone is able to find it. :yourock:

PB common 27 lbs and change

PB MIRROR FROM BLACKFOOT 28lb 10oz

PB buff n\a

PB Grassy N\A soon to change

PB STURGEON uhm alot

#3 Willem (JD)

Willem (JD)

"Veni, Vidi, Victus Sum"

• Admin
  • 4,225 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Google :)

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

It's amazing how many articles you find on this now that I've done a targeted search.

http://panews.com/ou...e-smartest-fish

willem@carpanglersgroup.com

bug.gifbug.gifbug.gifbug.gif

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a PAYING CAG member just like any other paying member in this club. Please don't pull that "BOD so you think this or that" on me.

I'm a CAG member FIRST (Webmaster 2nd and BOD member last) and that give me just as much right as YOU to speak my mind about ANYTHING club related.

So if you don't LIKE what I've got to say, don't use the age old lame "You think you can say what you want because you're on the BOD".

I say what I want because I'm "ME", I say what I want because it's my right as an AMERICAN CITIZEN to speak my mind FREELY.

If I don't agree with you, get over it and move on. My main function is to maintain everything CAG WEB Related, NOT to kiss your butt and agree with you, nor to say stuff just so I don't hurt your feelings.

So please keep in mind that if you choose to ask for an opinion or say something I don't agree with, I will speak my mind as a PAYING CAG MEMBER.

#4 Guest_phonebush_*

Guest_phonebush_*
  • Visitor

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZ,

I have exactly such an article. It is from studies in psychology, not ichthyology.

First, let me say "intelligence" is, abstract thought, understanding, communication, planning, emotional intelligence and problem solving. Carp can't reason, plan, solve problems, or think abstractly, they are fish. Intelligence is primarily a human conditions. (Officially published today by Phone - my definition)

The Common carp (Cyprinus carpio) are indeed among the smartest freshwater fishes, if not THE smartest. They learn well for fish. They have the longest complex learning retention of all fishes tested. I do not know how to find this academic study on line and I have it in old style hard copy (Gulph University, Canada). What exactly would you like me to "retype" from it for you. They cannot preform simple tasks requiring two or more operations. They can and do remember color in sufficient light. They smell and taste about 100,000 times better than humans and can actually "taste" electric current. They can see UV light in the light spectrum - that we cannot. As omnivores, they out preform predatory fish (carnivors) and plant eating fish (herbivores) by a factor of 1000 when placed in an unnatural envronment. (I'm not sure I've used the word "factor" correctly. It may be that I should be saying "times".(?))

Carp are the epitomy of survival. Not in the study, but I believe I would compare carp with the cockroach or European rat in their ability to survive in adverse environments and thrive in good conditions.

I never cease to be amazed by carp. They are large brained for fish but still it is almost impossible to distinguish between instinct and learning when talking about them in their natural habitit

Phone
Just ask, I'll answer. (The above is from memory)

Edited by phonebush, 26 April 2011 - 06:26 PM.

#5 Guest_phonebush_*

Guest_phonebush_*
  • Visitor

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

JD,

We need to find that guy's "next week's article" since he says he's devoting it to carp smarts.

Phone

#6 Willem (JD)

Willem (JD)

"Veni, Vidi, Victus Sum"

• Admin
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

JD,

We need to find that guy's "next week's article" since he says he's devoting it to carp smarts.

Phone

I'm looking based on the info you provided.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a PAYING CAG member just like any other paying member in this club. Please don't pull that "BOD so you think this or that" on me.

I'm a CAG member FIRST (Webmaster 2nd and BOD member last) and that give me just as much right as YOU to speak my mind about ANYTHING club related.

So if you don't LIKE what I've got to say, don't use the age old lame "You think you can say what you want because you're on the BOD".

I say what I want because I'm "ME", I say what I want because it's my right as an AMERICAN CITIZEN to speak my mind FREELY.

If I don't agree with you, get over it and move on. My main function is to maintain everything CAG WEB Related, NOT to kiss your butt and agree with you, nor to say stuff just so I don't hurt your feelings.

So please keep in mind that if you choose to ask for an opinion or say something I don't agree with, I will speak my mind as a PAYING CAG MEMBER.

#7 Jerome

Jerome

(happily semi-retired) coach

• Director
  • 9,545 posts
  • Interests:fishing, movies, books, words at large...
  • Who Referred you?:N/A

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Phone, did you ever do an IQ test? Just curious... Posted Image
Jerome Moisand, Arlington MA
Carp angling as it should be, fishing for fun and having fun!
PB: definitely bigger than Eric's
http://www.carpiopedia.com

#8 Willem (JD)

Willem (JD)

"Veni, Vidi, Victus Sum"

• Admin
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

Phone

Do you know "who" wrote the article / study. A name will help.

To Whom It May Concern:

#9 Guest_phonebush_*

Guest_phonebush_*
  • Visitor

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

JD,

Yes, I do (will). However I'll have to go to the basement to retrieve the document. In the morning after coffee I'll look for it.

Phone

#10 Guest_phonebush_*

Guest_phonebush_*
  • Visitor

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Jerome,

The first word in IQ, the "I" makes it impossible. I've had some pretty frank and indepth conversations whilst laying bankside sharing a ciggy though. As for me, I am president of the "Just a Fish" school.

Phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users