Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
CHIBIGTEE

Wccl 2011 Rd 2

Hello fellow carpers, Tracy here. After a whirl-wind ghost tour of Pennsylvania, I returned to a record setting weekend for the league. I'm pretty wiped out trying to do this, so forgive my mistakes. The weather is a good place to start. Saturday started cold, foggy, and an intermintent sprinkle. Kind of hard to believe since it was 103 degrees just 2 days ago but that's Chicago. Air temp was 50 and water was in the uppers 50's. Sunday was much better with some sun(yea!), a very cool breeze off the lake and air temp in the low 60's. It was the carping that was amazing. 911carp reset the league single day total with approx. 193lbs. Second month in a row that a PB mirror was caught this time by Scarpo of 26+lbs. The second day was amazing. 5 carpers broke the 100lb. mark and the total weight record fell after just one day. Approx. 209lbs. was caught by yours truly. I have to check the archives but I think FJR1 may have set a record for the largest 3 fish for a venue of 70+lbs. I took picture and will post them but not until tomorrow(way too tired now). The numbers are being handled and recorded on. Dr. Rink's site(way better than I can do, thanks). Thanks for coming out and having a terrific weekend. later

Guest phonebush

CHI,

I have to be reading something wrong.

911 carp for a total weight of 193 lbs? Is that true? I forgive your mistake as you ask - but if it isn't a mistake that was an impressive bit of carp fishing.

Phone

CHI,

I have to be reading something wrong.

911 carp for a total weight of 193 lbs? Is that true? I forgive your mistake as you ask - but if it isn't a mistake that was an impressive bit of carp fishing.

Phone

:) :)

you are so funny Phone :)

Jackson Harbor in Chicago was very good to the Windy City Carp League anglers on June 11 and 12. 114 carp weighing 1,548+ pounds were captured and released during the two, 8-hour sessions. Two, one-day league records were set. Larry Seeman caught 193 lbs., 1 ounce on Saturday to set a new record, only to be followed on Sunday with a new record by Tracy Jourdan with 205-15!

Big fish for the weekend were caught by Juan Serrano on Saturday (26-7 mirror) and by Frank Rink on Sunday (26-2 common). Tracy Jourdan leads the league's big fish race with a 28-0.

Tracy Jourdan also leads the "top three at each venue division" at 119-9 with three venues remaining, followed by Dan Ramir with 117-15, followed by Larry Seeman with 114-11. Marcin Szydlowski leads the "big individual fish at each venue division" after two venues with 47-2.

Complete details and stats for all anglers can be found at the WCCL 2011 website.

Here are a few photos from the weekend from my sections. Hopefully, others will post additional pics.--Frank

wccl_061211_tj_c.jpg

Tracy Jourdan - New single day league record at 205 pounds, 15 oz. and league leader!

wccl_061111_js_2607miror.jpg

Juan Serrano - Saturday's big fish - 26-7 mirror

wccl_061111_dr_a.jpg

Dan Ramir - 2nd in Saturday total weight - 97-5 and 2nd in league.

wccl_061111_ab_2312.jpg

Andy Burnagiel - 23-12

wccl_061111_rg_2309.jpg

Rob Gutierrez with a long 23-9 male

wccl_061211_fr_2100.jpg

Frank Rink - 2nd in Sunday's total weight - 161-12

wccl_061211_tj_rg_double.jpg

Tracy and Rob with a double!

wccl_061211_fr_2602.jpg

Sunday's big fish - 26-2 for Frank Rink

wccl_061211_rg_2404.jpg

Rob Gutierrez - 24-4

wccl_061111_js_a.jpg

Juan Serrano with a fog carp

A couple pics submitted by Larry Seeman:

wccl_061211_ms_2002.jpg

Marcin Szydlowski - Big 5 league leader with a 20-2

wccl_061211_fred_1608.jpg

Fred Rhodes - 16-8

Up-to-the-minute standings and photos are here on the Windy City Carp League 2011 website!

All I can say is that Im glad Tracy didnt fill up that garbage can like he wanted to. :lol:

Yeah or add a floater to the big lake :lol:

Thats to funny Larry.

That 23'9 male I caught on Saturday was super thin. If someone starts feeding that thing it will be a 40 in no time.

It was a great fishing weekend and the first time I broke 100lbs in a day of league fishing. Larry and Tracy really put on some amazing carping to watch, its not every day you see people pulling rods in a money tournament to take a little break.

Fished peg 15 again today and landed 15 fish in less than 90 minutes and 4 or 5 hook pulls so approx 20 runs :o Unfortunatley no big girls! All the fish were in the 7-15 lb range. I'll see you all at the 3rd wccl event B)

I also counted 6 dead carp floating on the surface and they were all fresh :o Makes me wonder if alot of fish we release even with great care, still die anyways?

Thats to funny Larry.

That 23'9 male I caught on Saturday was super thin. If someone starts feeding that thing it will be a 40 in no time.

It was a great fishing weekend and the first time I broke 100lbs in a day of league fishing. Larry and Tracy really put on some amazing carping to watch, its not every day you see people pulling rods in a money tournament to take a little break.

thanks Rob, I just had to post that pic

Edited by 911carp

I also counted 6 dead carp floating on the surface and they were all fresh :o Makes me wonder if alot of fish we release even with great care, still die anyways?

Probably couldn't choke down those range cubes. :lol:

Seriously, though, I know that great care is taken to properly handle the captured carp; but, in reality, this is a "blood sport" where we pull a creature, rather violently, out of its natural environment after impaling it on a hook. It fights, probably close to exhaustion, to avoid capture. Then we transfer it from our bacteria-laden net to our bacteria-laden unhooking mat to our bacteria-laden weigh sling. Then, we hold it up in our bacteria laden hands for a picture. Finally, we release it in, probably, a weakened state. I suppose there will be some mortality in that process.

And, to take it a step further, you wonder what happens to those fish that break off and are left with that rigging in their mouths? That's why I don't get too excited when I see some people keeping carp for a meal or two. What would you prefer: some dead carp for our tournament pleasure or some dead carp used for food? I would like to think, though, that only a couple fish of the 114 that were caught at our league session died as the result of our fishing/handling.

The only way to completely avoid contributing to the problem would be to completely stop fishing for carp. :o --Frank

Probably couldn't choke down those range cubes. :lol:

Seriously, though, I know that great care is taken to properly handle the captured carp; but, in reality, this is a "blood sport" where we pull a creature, rather violently, out of its natural environment after impaling it on a hook. It fights, probably close to exhaustion, to avoid capture. Then we transfer it from our bacteria-laden net to our bacteria-laden unhooking mat to our bacteria-laden weigh sling. Then, we hold it up in our bacteria laden hands for a picture. Finally, we release it in, probably, a weakened state. I suppose there will be some mortality in that process.

And, to take it a step further, you wonder what happens to those fish that break off and are left with that rigging in their mouths? That's why I don't get too excited when I see some people keeping carp for a meal or two. What would you prefer: some dead carp for our tournament pleasure or some dead carp used for food? I would like to think, though, that only a couple fish of the 114 that were caught at our league session died as the result of our fishing/handling.

The only way to completely avoid contributing to the problem would be to completely stop fishing for carp. :o --Frank

Frank,

We all have seen the rush during tournaments.

No one let the carp rest for a minute after it is in the net before they pull it out of the water.

And the release is often very violent with the carp flying off that 6 to 10 ft wall into the water.

At least, that's what I have seen.

On the other side those dead carp may have nothing to do with the tournament.

Teo

Frank,

We all have seen the rush during tournaments.

No one let the carp rest for a minute after it is in the net before they pull it out of the water.

And the release is often very violent with the carp flying off that 6 to 10 ft wall into the water.

At least, that's what I have seen.

On the other side those dead carp may have nothing to do with the tournament.

Teo

Teo--All carp fishing, not just tournament fishing, contributes to carp mortality. But, I am hoping you are right about the possibility that those floaters Mike saw had nothing to do with our fishing. After all, that venue is a major passageway for carp moving to and from an inner harbor for the spawn. One local said he saw thousands stacked up in that area that we don't utilize for the WCCL. On the other hand, Mike's revelations have me wondering. I think I'll just fish on July 17 and skip July 16 to save a carp or two. How's that for doing my part? :lol:

We'll see how tomarrow goes, maybe ill save a few carp also and just fish the last day of championship weekend, Diversy Harborside :rolleyes:

We'll see how tomarrow goes, maybe ill save a few carp also and just fish the last day of championship weekend, Diversy Harborside :rolleyes:

:lol: That's the spirit, Larry! Maybe all carp fishing should be banned. Save the carp! :lol::rolleyes:

Think im gonna try the lakeside thing tomarrow. Montrose. Just to see how its going to go ~8

Thats a month from now. The conditions and water temps will be a little different when we fish it in mid july ;)

Think im gonna try the lakeside thing tomarrow. Montrose. Just to see how its going to go ~8

Larry--How did the June 14 pre-fishing at July's Montrose venue go?

4 fish in four hours, all mid-teens. Meat eaters everywhere! B)

For the ones that havent been there before, there are 5 Huge 2 ft concrete steps to walk down to the bank( not a big deal unless your wagon weights in at over 100#) but pretty nice day, yesterday that is.

Im going to bring some extra garbge bags to pick up some litter while im waiting for runs, so dont be affraid to bring a few and pitch in.

That is one of the prime fishing spaces that most Chicago anglers know. Meateaters by the bushel. The reason I chose July is perch season is closed during that month and should free up a little space for us to carp fish. There is a ramp alittle west(near the pier with the light) that bikes use to get to the bottom level. This venue has all cement, so pods are needed. Anything that you use to stick in the ground to hold stuff will need sandbags. There is a restroom just north(walking distance) and a hot dog stand. It will most likely be HOT! but swimming is the second sport that this spot is used. I will jump in the lake on command if it's over 95 degress! :o:lol::P:) later

alright let's not get silly boys! :lol: