Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

lewiscarp

Carp Fishing Minnesota

Hello

I have recently moved to Minnesota after a long spring chasing carp in NJ. I will be located in either Chanhassen or Maple Grove- If there is anyone that can point me in the right direction or wants to meet up that fishes for carp in Minnesota please shoot me a mail. I am aware that 70% of the lakes are populated by Carp but am looking for lakes that potentially hold larger specimens 30lb+.

Thanks

David

You do have the Mississippi, the Minnesoata and the St. Croix Rivers. All have the "potential" for big fish. Lake Minnetonka is also a good bet. I used to fish there from my mother-in-law's front yard - no thirties but loads of fish in the 15-20 range.

Guest phonebush

lewiscarp,

I'm afraid I don't know the location of those two communities. I have never caught specimen in MN but lots of carp. That can be a problem. To many carp for specimen to occur.

That's not my question however. I'm wondering how or if you've gotten a MN fishing license? A pal couldn't go to MN fishing this year because they stopped selling MN fishing licenses on 30, June. They still enforce the requirement to have one but you can't get one????

Phone

Paul

Do you still fish in Minnesota? Have you fished any of the rivers and if so do you know of any good holding spots, pools / deeper slower water? Will be buying a boat next year so would be good to get a heads up on river locations. Do you know anything about the rod limits? I have heard it's 1 rod- how strict is this rule if clearly fishing for carp (I.e. Not bass or take home fish).

Thanks

David

You do have the Mississippi, the Minnesoata and the St. Croix Rivers. All have the "potential" for big fish. Lake Minnetonka is also a good bet. I used to fish there from my mother-in-law's front yard - no thirties but loads of fish in the 15-20 range.

I'm afraid I cannot be very specific about fishing the rivers - I left MN a few decades ago. I did fish the Mississippi fairly often when I was a student at the U of M, usually Hennipenn Island or other spots in the city and near the campus. But everything has changed a lot since then.

I think you should assume the one-rod rule means one-rod. I would not expect any flexiblity on the law.

Phone- the state government was shut down for a while because of budget problems but it is running now so I assume one can get a license.

I'm in Minnesota and do a lot of carp fishing. I picked up carping last year and so far, the rivers have been very lucrative. Send me a message if you are interested in getting together and catching some hogs. Syed and some other local carpers are also in this forum.

Hey Lewis, feel free to PM me any time. I totally missed your last post :-(

I'm in the north Brooklyn Park area. I pretty much fish the rivers around here. I know of a couple of people in the area. Would be fun to try some of the local lakes as well. Just PM me and we can go from there. Thanks!

Still hoping for more people to join us on the 8th.

Havent seen any carp activity no carp breaching anywheres for over a week.

Besides the usual summer fishing issues our lake has had a blue green algae bloom.

I'm going to postpone the fish in. I don't want guys driving for hours to catch nothing. Plus the water is toxic to humans and pets. My gf waded into the water to help get the boat on the trailer. She got rashes on her ankles for her troubles.

I was hoping it would clear up. My neighbors assure me it doesn't happen often or stick around long. But the water looks like green paint with zero visibility.

We'll try again in late August early September when the fishing gets back to being good.

Was out today and nailed them 10 fish one over 17.i am new to both the site and carping.i was brought to carping by two guys that i meet fishing on Buffalo.

Hello I'm new to fishing just started fishing about 2 years. I'm trying to take the GF out and catch a carp any suggestion on which lake ?

You can come to my Lake do a search for Minnesota fish ins here in the forums you can see its a pretty good lake. Two fellow fisherman one who is flying in from England are coming to fish with me Friday. You are welcome to join us. Brian, the guy from England is a very knowledgeable carp angler.

Its Lake Marion in Brownton. Shoot me an email or PM if you want details.

Val, welcome to the group! First of all, where are you located? There are a few CAG members spread out over MN so am sure you will be able to join us for some carping. 

We haven't had our fish ins (fishing get together) in MN this year but will probably have them in a month or so. The fishing seems to get better late summer and early fall around here, so we will keep you posted on the events. They are all free and mean to bring carp anglers together for catch and release carp fishing.

Once we know whereabouts you are located, am sure a few of us can recommend some spots :-)

Aniq