Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest agregory

Tempe Town Lake

Guest agregory

Folks:

I went pole-fishing yesterday at Tempe Town Lake. I used to fish there once in a while before the dam collapsed about a year ago. When they re-filled the lake, they put 70,000 small Israeli-strain mirrors into the lake (the same fish that were there in the past). After a year, the lake is absolutely full of 5-pound mirrors. I also caught an 8.5-pound common, which I wasn't expecting - it must have come in from the canals. I was getting a fish after each put-in, within about a minute, once my swim warmed up. There were a couple of other guys there fishing for bass, and complaining about how there aren't many fish anymore (!)

If these carp are 5 pounds after a year, what will this lake be like in 2 or 3 years? We could have a really good fishery on our hands.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I was fishing on the south shore, below the westernmost bridge (Rural Ave).

Cheers,

A. Gregory

Folks:

I went pole-fishing yesterday at Tempe Town Lake. I used to fish there once in a while before the dam collapsed about a year ago. When they re-filled the lake, they put 70,000 small Israeli-strain mirrors into the lake (the same fish that were there in the past). After a year, the lake is absolutely full of 5-pound mirrors. I also caught an 8.5-pound common, which I wasn't expecting - it must have come in from the canals. I was getting a fish after each put-in, within about a minute, once my swim warmed up. There were a couple of other guys there fishing for bass, and complaining about how there aren't many fish anymore (!)

If these carp are 5 pounds after a year, what will this lake be like in 2 or 3 years? We could have a really good fishery on our hands.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I was fishing on the south shore, below the westernmost bridge (Rural Ave).

Cheers,

A. Gregory

Nice, that place will be worth keeping an eye on, the name has a ring to it too :D

I recently read your post about Tempe town Lake. I've wanted to try fishing there but wondered if the fish had rebounded after the dam burst. sounds like they have. Anybody fished it lately, and where? Is there a fee to park or what's the situation there. I have never been there, yet. Thanks

My company is sending me to Tempe for a 3 day class. I could have gone to a number of towns, but I like the looks of Tempe lake and the class is in a complex right on the shore. I'm takin' a couple poles and gonna get me a couple Tempe carp. I like the prospect of a decent size mirror. Never caught one.

My questions: Is any part of the lake any better than any other? One post liked the bridge at Rural Rd. It looks like it's hard to get right down to the water to land a fish due to guard rails. Is that a problem? I kind of like the looks of Tempe Beach Park West of the train tracks (except for the guard rail problem). Any opinions on that?

I have not fished Tempe Town lake because from what my fishing partners say you have limited access to fish and then you also have to deal with other fighting for the same spots I would rather relax in a an area with more room. if your Interested in a trip to Lake Pleasant for some Common carp or local canal for Grass Carp. also have a pond that has some nice Koi common and some grassers in it let me know when you will be around it would be about 30 Miles away from you

Thanks for the offer and suggestions. If I were spending a week in Tempe I wouldn't mind a trip of 30 miles. Pleasant looks great, but I'm in town for only 3 days and will stay local since I'll only have a couple hours here and there to toss a line in. You mention "local canals". That was mentioned in other posts, too. I see the the Tempe Canal on Google maps, but it looks pretty dinky.

I have not personally seen the Tempe Canal but it is part of our Canal System which almost all are legal to fish if it is not legal to fish it will have a fence and say no trespass no fishing ect by fence I mean a fence all the canals have gates blocking the access road that is for employee use but most have a area to park next to the road and then walk in the only rules are You must move out of the road if a SRP truck comes thru. and Grass Carp must be treated with respect and released they are sterile working carp and are in the canals to keep vegitation down. the canal system hold Commons as well as all other sorts of fish I know of some people that fished the Canal in that area somewhere and caught some nice Mirrors after the Dam incident appears some of the fish are now in the canal. The area of Canal I fish is dirt but alot of it will be concrete but still very fishable because of little to no Current

I would give it a shot if I did not have water here I was still exploring I would be heading up that way and most likely within the next two years will make a trip up to give it a try give those 5 lbs fish more time to grow hoping friday to take my son to a new lake here that holds commons. Koi, Grass carp I know. Mirror not sure about but its 10 min from my house.

My sons biggest carp to date is 20 lbs 4oz and it was caught in the canal system this picture shows the fish and more of the canal I have seen some big grass carp even in the concrete sections of the canal

post-5644-0-64578900-1333602145_thumb.jp

Please let me know how you do I may need to head down sooner

Day one, AM. I spent a couple hours in the morning at Tempe Lake. There are fish better than 5 lb in there. I forgot to bring my scale so I can only guess how big the mirror was that i caught there, but it was somewhere between 15 and 20 lb. My guess would be 18, but I'll claim the 15. That's good enough for me. Fun fish. The intitial run was very slow but steady and loooooong. I thought I would run out of line. I'll try the canal at Kiwanis park in the pm. Then I'll go back to the lake tomorrow am. I gotta go to work at 9 am right at the lake, so I'll do that in the am. I'll report back on canal activity.

The thing I found curious in the lake was that there was something nibbling the bait (corn). In my experience, carp might play with it a little, but they don't nibble. They either eat it or they don't. Maybe I just haven't been doing this long enough, but that's how it seems to me.

The picture with my profile is the Tempe Mirror.

Very Nice!

I have been playing with the idea of going out to Kiwanis to fish the lake this evening. but since I am new to the area and from Los Angeles, where you wouldn't fish any of the urban ponds in the pm if you could, I just don't know.

Is Kiwanis at night safe to fish at?

what time you going out to Tempe town lake? Since I work out of my apartment and I dont have anything on the books for tomorrow AM, I can meet you out there. I am always looking for someone to fish with out here in AZ.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x442/dbthj/?action=view&current=TempeLakeFishHere.jpg

This link shows where I fish at Lake Tempe. There's a boat ramp so landing a fish without a net is easy.

The bad part is that parking is expensive. $12 all day. I think it's about $1.50 per hour. Not sure.

I'll be there from about 5 am till 8 am tomorrow.

Fishing canal at Kiwanis park seems very safe. Lots of joggers going by all the time. The park is well attended.

But tonight the biting stopped about 7 pm. Got dark at 7:30. I didn't catch anything but there sure are

big ones in there. My technique was to toss bread in the water and wait till I saw feeding (they did, big boys), then I'd toss

a floating bait (basically bread) in that area. Didn't work. Ducks are a bit of a nuisance. Got there late last night. I'll try earlier tomorrow,

probably about 5:30 or 6.

I'd love to have some company if you want to join me at the lake. I'm not going to recommend the canal

till I have some success. If you have canal experience, you can show me your techniques. If you can make it

that would be great. Anybody else is welcome too.

No carp at the lake. Got nice bluegills though. Didn't do canal in pm. Got hung up at work. Will do Canal tomorrow 5 to 7:30 am.

Different place. Easier to get to, easier to find.

I'll be at the canal at Rural road. Parking is good: Either on street by YMCA or in YMCA lot.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x442/dbthj/?action=view&current=CanalAtYMCA_RuralRd.jpg

So there are no carp in Kiwanis?

I'll meet you out at the canal in the morning. See yah there.