Carp Anglers Group Forums
(IL) CHIBIGTEE

Practice?

Hello fellow carpers, Tracy here. We are going to have locations available to fish the day before and the day after the BIG event. What I would like is for those you who wish to pre or post-fish the event in one of Chicago's many carp venues is to let me know here. There are many to choose from and most are within the city limits. I won't be giving details of these venues here and now because each has different qualities and bank space available. Let me know how many in your party and if you wish to fish(wow that rhymes,oops sorry) a lake venue(harbor or open water), the river(deep or shallow, fast or slow) and I'll find a place to put you. I won't be able to fish with everyone but will take the time and you to one of them and get you set up properly. I've been working with a large Indiana(with a few Illinois guys)group that requested some help. I suggest those that use this service, PM each other to find group size and with whom you will fish. Remember, many of you are gathering in Chicago and may able to fish with someone that you've only conversed with via the internet. Find out from the sign-up list whose coming and if their pre-fishing, I'll find a place for you to share bank space. As requests come in, I'll start going into detail of the specific locations. Let me know what you think. later

BTW, Larry, I saw your post. This is where you can find someone to share one of those secret spots. I also know some of you are wondering about that special spot that Pazella catches those BIG river carp, only he knows. I know I've been close but he won't say. :o:P;):lol::)

I will be driving in on Friday to fish the river. I'd like to fish someplace other than the traditional winter spots on the "ditch". After seeing the size of the catch from you guys last weekend, I'd rule that place out as well! LOL I might also stick around to fish on Sunday and would again like to fish on the river. Some of your local expertise would be welcome and I'd also like to share some bank time with our long distance travelers that I've yet to meet.

I'll take care of it. Depending on the group size, will determine where. I won't just shove you into a group but give you a choice. Let the group's grow abit. later

I will be driving in on Friday to fish the river. I'd like to fish someplace other than the traditional winter spots on the "ditch". After seeing the size of the catch from you guys last weekend, I'd rule that place out as well! LOL I might also stick around to fish on Sunday and would again like to fish on the river. Some of your local expertise would be welcome and I'd also like to share some bank time with our long distance travelers that I've yet to meet.

'After seeing the size of the catch from you guys last weekend, I'd rule out that place as well!"

No different than the popcans rockcutt and the rock river have to offer. Just like fishing close to home larry :lol:

'After seeing the size of the catch from you guys last weekend, I'd rule out that place as well!"

No different than the popcans rockcutt and the rock river have to offer. Just like fishing close to home larry :lol:

Just keep that thought and stay to the east!!! The traffic and ten minute drive is also a big concern!! ;) Should you have a change of heart, the welcome mat is always down. :D

Just keep that thought and stay to the east!!! The traffic and ten minute drive is also a big concern!! ;) Should you have a change of heart, the welcome mat is always down. :D

You misunderstood my post larry. I meant theres no need for you to come this way, because it would be just like fishing at home for you ;) I guess it works both ways though :D

I'm coming in Friday and going to try and hook up with Rick Slinker and Gil Huxley I should be there around noon if not earlier.

I've been in contact with Rick and depending on group size will determine what I can arrange. That group is approx. 8/9. That's about max for most of the local venues on the river. That's what they're leaning towards. Lake venues have more space but there are parking fees except for Montrose(CCC)venues. Now you can fish Montrose Harbor(inside) as the CCC will be OUTSIDE the harbor. There's also lots of space and good fishing at Diversey Harbor(inner/outer) but parking costs. The Ashland venue on the river was fished by the league last weekend and we killed the 1lbers. yes, uno pounders. :o So I imagine that venue is not going to get alot of votes. I'll have to check Ping Tom Park in China town. That's upriver and much deeper water. Downside river taxi service stops at east end but west end is hopefully fishable. That's because it is supposedly being made bigger. I'll check on my way home. Very pretty venue with pagoda. There is a northside venue that will accomadate 9 carpers but Rick is decideing on that one. There's also smaller northbranch venues that will accomadate 3/4 carpers. The venue behind the highschool, I don't think has been fished much. The farther north you go upriver, the weedier and shallower it gets. let me know guys and we'll arrande most it here. later :)

Ping Tom sounds interesting. I've always thought about giving it a try. Thanks for checking on it.

I cant make CCC on Sept. 10th! My wife will be 50th birthday with family and her birthday is on Sept. 10th! but I am thinking about to go to fish on Sunday! I would like to fish at lake Michigan! Probably horseshoe pier because I want to fish for MONSTER carp! Not number of smaller fish!

Jackson Park Harbor is the venue with the current league total weight title for a single day. 2 problems: record was set in springtime and that venue is a long way off the beaten path. That doesn't mean I won't set someone up there if they wish to go. That venue is also one of the major salmon fishing spots in Chicago. Never fished it in the fall. Might be spectacular, you never know. Good luck at the horseshoe. A verrrry Longggggg walk to where you need to fish but good luck any way. One thing I forgot to say is that most of the venues require a good walk to get where you need to set-up. Wheels make life easier but I might be able to help with that(I have a few sets of wheels). later

Hello fellow carpers, Tracy here. Stopped by Ping Tom Park in Chinatown last night on my way home from work. I forgot how beautiful it is. They're expanding the park but north of 18th st. bridge. What that means is there's 700feet of prime carp catching venue and no one has asked to fish it yet. If I can get my computer at home to work, I'll post a few pictures. Easy to fit about 12 carpers there. Very deep(approx. 17ft @ river edge w/holes to 20+feet)venue. Taxi service docks at east end and shouldn't be a problem. Playground for the kiddies or those of you who like to swing on the swings. Also about 3 blocks from some of the best Chinese food in the midwest. let me know what you think and if there are any questions, keep them coming. Hey Dave Moore's group, that spot can be difficult but there's one just as good if not better right near there. Let me know if you want to try your spot or a different one. later

Once again, If I can get my computer to work,I'll stop and take a few pictures of that venue to show you what it looks like across from the launch. There is space by not as much as you saw in the past. Did you know that just south of that venue(about 200yds) is a dock on the river that has a sign that states it's purpose is for carp fishing. :o;) Water's kinda fast but you fish from it and your actually sitting ON the river. later

Thanks a lot for the invite, much appreciated.

I will not fish on Friday, due to travel schedule, but I plan to go back on Monday, hence fish all Sunday. I'd love to fish Lake Michigan itself, in a location reasonably productive. Could be one of the CCC locations... Would be good to have a couple of friendly carpers around.

Great choice Mark!

I've been meaning to try that discharge in the cold of the winter. :)

I am not sure if this power plant still works...probably not

That plant has been shut down. Also the area has been closed off including a good portion of Illinois beach park because of asbestos. Hello guys finally got my computer to work so I can post some pictures. Spent friday running around getting photos of available venues for before and after the CCC. I'm going to do this one at a time and hopefully my computer cooperates:

The first is what we call "Lane Tech/Rosoce" venues. They have been written about here on the site. The Indiana guys know of this place and even of the very popular hot dog stand 1 block away. People wait for hours just to eat there. I stopped by @ 8;30AM and the line was already 10 deep and they don't open til' 10AM. :lol: The site is the future home of Williams gaming college. The company that produces slot/video/gaming machines will soon have a school to teach how to create them. The venue has overgrown because we don't fish it as much because of the construction. It's still fishable. 4/5 on the west side and the east side has the canoe launch where the city was renting canoes and kyaks. Due to budget cut-backs, they don't use it during the week. So Friday it can accomodate 3/4 carpers. Medium depth(to 8ft) moderate current, murky water. This venue is used for the FFF and produced an incredible run of fish just before Chrismas last year.

post-3265-0-49885900-1314531524_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-14635300-1314531541_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-56455200-1314531563_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-08901100-1314531582_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-02163800-1314531604_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-99299400-1314531620_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-67078200-1314531637_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-35754200-1314531675_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-52475600-1314531699_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-15299400-1314531717_thumb.jp

The 2nd is one that was modified extentsively by the local guys. Won't mention names because it's illegal. It also is a winter venue as most on the north branch. As most of you know, The Chicago River was actually REVERSED so the sewage and other run-off wouldn't go directly into Lake Michigan many, many years ago. As part of that undertaking, a man-made canal was made between the north branch of the river and the lake in I believe is Evanston. This is the canal portion(Lane/Roscoe true river). It is known as the "Cupcake". As you'll see in the pictures, it's a weedy venue. This where the fish feed and hide out of the current. Narrower than down south, so current is faster. The margin with weeds makes it a fine float fishing venue. Medium depth(8ft), moderate to fast current, still murky. The wild card for this venue is there's a plant just north(upstream) that pumps warm water(discharge)into the canal. Depending on rain how hard the plant is going makes a difference in canal current. There's a big Mall within 200yds(across McCormick blvd.) that has food/restrooms. When the fish are there, sometimes can only use 1 rod. Can fit 3/4.

post-3265-0-03870700-1314534559_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-28110700-1314534578_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-84632200-1314534597_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-35636800-1314534615_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-55159400-1314534631_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-02366900-1314534652_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-47701600-1314534671_thumb.jp

Even though there are multiple other venues, most only fit 1/2. So #3 is one of the 2 largest venues and in my opinion the best looking, Ping Tom Park in Chinatown on the southside. 700ft. of open riverfront. There's actually much more but a rivertaxi service stops here regularly. Sunrise brings the locals out for Tai Chi. Couple hundred. They asked that I not take pictures but an amazing sight. I've seen the local carpers use a sesame seed method/pack that just kills the fish. Don't speak chinese and they don't speak english but I've fished with them. I'm still learning. The thing that makes this venue special is the depth. It's the deepest stretch of the whole river. At the edge is 13 to 17 ft deep with holes out in the main channel to 20+ ft. Current is slow and is about 3x wider than #2 venue. This venue is also within 3 blocks of excellent food. Nice playground if you bring kids or if you like to swing :P

post-3265-0-22184000-1314536187_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-90591100-1314536206_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-32985700-1314536224_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-71450900-1314536237_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-84881800-1314536251_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-01968900-1314536267_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-76230400-1314536283_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-11617600-1314536312_thumb.jp

post-3265-0-66270200-1314536327_thumb.jp

if i were coming to this years CCC this is where i would fish before or after the power plant is about 35-40 minutes from downtown.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/site/illinois/winnetka.htm

I am not sure if this power plant still works...probably not

That plant has been shut down. Also the area has been closed off including a good portion of Illinois beach park because of asbestos. Hello guys finally got my computer to work so I can post some pictures. Spent friday running around getting photos of available venues for before and after the CCC. I'm going to do this one at a time and hopefully my computer cooperates:

FYI: :swimminfish:

The Winnetka Power Plant discharge is and has been fish-able, it is just not Winnetka's primary means of electricity so it is not on very often. It is also one of the few areas that allow Salmon snagging in October. See Dale Bowmans article from last years season: http://blogs.suntimes.com/bowman/2010/09/midwest_fishing_report_salmon.html

The unaccessable, asbestos filled, closed beach that has been referred to is near the Waukeegan Power plant discharge, much further North. :)

I would not recommend this as a venue for pre-fishing. Although it might be good in the winter, when on occasion, the plant is running.