Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Texas-Z

2012 Atc Planning Underway! We Need Your Input!

Planning for the 2012 ATC has begun! Things will be done a little different this year and to that effect a committee has been formed to put this thing together. We would like to hear from ya'll. This thread will be a place for any past/present or future participants to have their voices heard. This is not a place for folks to argue amongst themselves about what they think is the best way to do things, more of a place to let us know what we can do to make it better. Post your ideas, don't respond to others directly and let the committee sort through them. This thread will be monitored by the committee and all ideas will be considered. If you have something you would like to say but don't feel comfortable posting in the open forum then feel free to PM me and I will make sure that the issue is addressed. We want the 2012 ATC to be the best one yet and will do everything in our power to make that happen!

One of the things that is being tossed around is a potential change in how peg draw is done. A number of ideas have come up and we wanted to see what participants thought.

#1 Same as always, draw a number, then pegs are drawn in that order. Day 2 same way.

#2 Draw a number, draw 2 pegs and you have 30 seconds to decide which you want to fish. Other goes back. Day 2 draw in reverse order from day 1.

#3 Draw a number, draw a peg in that order. Day 2, there is no draw, lowest team on the standings gets to call their peg and work up the leader board like that. (designed to ensure that every angler has a shot, not just the teams who have the best luck at peg draw)

As I said, these are just ideas, as of yet no decisions like this have been made, that is why we are here seeking input. Alrighty guys, discuss!

Some other questions to consider,

If you havent ever fished the ATC, why not?

Anything you didn't like about the way it was run?

Anything you Want to see changed?

Anything you DONT want to see changed.

So forth and so on.

To me the ATC has been a Cag event but to me my limit the people that could be attending? The gas alone would kill me driving from PA in my truck so its never been an option but I enjoy following along to it. Just a thought but why not allow non members to fish the ATC and then take some of the money that is from the entry fee and then raffle off cag memberships to those non members that way you gain more anglers while creating new cag members in the process.

My mate and i have talked about doing this event almost every year since at least 07, one thing we always flounder on is getting there, i will not put my gear in the post and meet it at the hotel in order to fly there which is what he allways wants to do. I allways want to drive so i can keep my gear with me, the draw back for this is that it puts 2 days on both ends of the event. If you could rent large items like rods, pods, nets chairs and unhooking mats it would enable people to fly in, perhaps from further afield too.

To me the ATC has been a Cag event but to me my limit the people that could be attending? The gas alone would kill me driving from PA in my truck so its never been an option but I enjoy following along to it. Just a thought but why not allow non members to fish the ATC and then take some of the money that is from the entry fee and then raffle off cag memberships to those non members that way you gain more anglers while creating new cag members in the process.

Thats a fantastic idea

I have fished the event a coupla times and have had a great time doing such . Im thinking that what isnt broken doesnt need to get fixed. the peg draw is just that a draw and it evens the field for everyone as in scenario # 1. scenario #2 is what is happening at the world championship next weekend and while its an interesting way of doing things it will give an advantage to those who have fished the area before two guys from lets say the ukraine first time in america never fished the larry with a tight travel itinerary may

not have time to scout the area would be and will be at a disadvantage to them . keep the peg draw the way its been and in the words of mr big let your skill and bait help make lemonade out of what might be considered a lemon peg. one year tommy and i caught well from what had been considered a dead peg. letting in outsiders is a good thought that will need to be discussed and hashed out as it has been a cag member only event for years .

mick sending gear by ups if you have a good tube is not a problem done it many times ( p.s insure it ) skip the bulky chair items ( buy a 10 buck chair for the weekend when you get there go with goal post set ups and put the net handle in with your rods. Tackle reels etc go on plane with you . and for that matter most airlines allow fishing tubes and a tackle bag as one item with no extra charge as its then part of your two bag limit ( you have to read fine print on websites print it out and bring it to airport with you )

if you want it all to go well at the atc make sure you have neil around :D :D

I will be around ;) I'm proudly serving as a member of the committee. :D

I like the idea of non CAG members being able to fish. That way Brid the greatest carp fisherman that ever lived could fish the ATC.

Jeff

Really like Baitbucket's idea- I'd certainly be interested in attending if large tackle items were for rent. As it is, I don't even want to think about driving from Chicago!

I spoke to Rick yesterday and gave him the following idea. Have a Google map of all of the swims with the closest restaurants and fast food places to get something to eat or even better ask certain places to see if they will deliver to the swims. Maybe see if some one is willing to cater the event and deliver to the swims.

Eddie

I like the idea of non CAG members being able to fish. That way Brid the greatest carp fisherman that ever lived could fish the ATC.

Jeff

Brid IS a CAG member. Just banned from the forum.

And if he follows the rules and regulations as set forth by the committee, he can fish the event with another CAG member, :D

I'm a big supporter of the Option 2 for the Peg Draw- I participated in one of those at Baldwinsville and thought it was cool. I know in 2010, the winning peg was pulled out, and put back- You know there's an element of control in where you fish, so that works well. Take that third option out.

Eddie- I like the idea of getting the restaurants involved (especially the ones that deliver). Once in B-Ville, I called one of the sponsoring restaurants and told them that I was fishing in the tournament and wanted pizza delivered. The guy said, "Cool. What peg are you at?" I really thought that was neat.

I'm just excited about getting my eighth ATC T-Shirt! Every time I do laundry and hang 'em up, I remember that tourney.

Chad