• Announcements

FJR1

Online Winter Contest For Il, In, Oh, Mi, Wi

27 posts in this topic

After the January 1 FFF, things get a little slow as far as organized fishing opportunities are concerned, until it warms up in April. Many of you know, though, that there are lots of winter opportunities for catching big fish.

Rather than just talking about contests, I am considering running a winter online contest for anglers residing and catching fish in these Midwest states: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio. It would be similar to the Midwest online contest that was run last year with the following differences.

1. Entry fee would only be $10 instead of $20. Money should never be a big incentive for entering a carp fishing contest, but the $10 will provide some small prizes for the winners. You can submit entry to me via paypal, regular mail, or in person.

2. All money from entries will be used for prizes. I will not retain any of it for "administrative" fees. In fact, I will throw in some of my own funds for the prizes.

3. There will be three monthly contests for the 2012 Midwest online event: January, February, and March. Prizes will be awarded for the top three finishers each month for big 4 total weight. There will also be one prize for the big fish overall during the course of all three months. That means 10 total prizes are available for the contest. I don't like rules made up as we go along, so, for those interested in the monetary side, breakdown of prizes is as follows:

Monthly Big 4: 1st--15% of total entries, 2nd--10% of total entries, 3rd--5% of total entries. If needed, due to a low number of entries, I will add my own funds to assure that, for each month, 1st place gets at least $30, 2nd gets at least $20, and 3rd gets at least $10.

Overall big fish: 10% of total entries or I will assure a payout of at least $25 for big fish if entries are low.

As you can see, this contest is more about bragging rights and winter fun than it is about money. It is more about getting out there to fish instead of being a winter couch potato.

The honor system will prevail. Fish must be caught during the month the contest is being held, it must be caught in one of the Midwest states indicated, and a photo must be submitted to me of the fish and the angler, or you can send a pic of just the fish on a mat. Your honesty, as always, is expected and appreciated. When you submit the photo, indicate the date of the catch and the weight of the fish.

Results, photos, standings, etc, will be posted on a website that I will construct and fund.

The contest will not take place unless at least 10 anglers indicate an interest. If you are interested in participating, please post here.

If I get 10 names, I will begin the website. Deadline for posting your interest and to give me time to prepare the site is December 25. If we don't get 10, I certainly understand. Winter fishing is tough. If we do get 10, I wish you the best of luck.--Frank

I am in! PM me for your address that I will mail you 10 dollars! Watch out of Paul Pezalla if he go in! He caught some big fish in winter!

My guess is total of 4 fish should be between 80 and 120lbs!

I think would be easier is big 4 total in 3 months. Just 4 big prizes 1st, 2nd, 3rd and big fish for a whole 3 months! What you and other think of that?

I am in! PM me for your address that I will mail you 10 dollars! Watch out of Paul Pezalla if he go in! He caught some big fish in winter!

My guess is total of 4 fish should be between 80 and 120lbs!

I think would be easier is big 4 total in 3 months. Just 4 big prizes 1st, 2nd, 3rd and big fish for a whole 3 months! What you and other think of that?

Thanks, John. I am glad you are in. So that makes two so far. We just need 8 more to make it a go. I think your predictions about needed weight are accurate, although I think the winners will be closer to 100 to 120 pounds rather than to 80 pounds.

2012 Midwest Winter Online Carp Contest participants to date:

John Cachel

Frank Rink

Only need 8 more!

The contest has been conducted with just 4 big prizes before, so I'd like to change it up a bit. In the past, a person could catch 4 nice fish in January and the other participants would be discouraged about trying to catch up for the remainder of the contest. With this format, you have a brand new chance at the beginning of each month. I could probably be convinced to throw a little more money at it if you think the prizes are too puny.--Frank

OK...I'll play! I'll even give you guys a 2 week "sprout"....unless you want to include California in the states! :P

im in frank

OK...I'll play! I'll even give you guys a 2 week "sprout"....unless you want to include California in the states! :P

Thanks, Larry. I'm tempted to include CA in the list of eligible states, but that would only add insult to injury for those of us in freezing temps while you bask in San Diego sun. :lol:

I'll bet we might cross paths later in the month around Milwaukee, though.--Frank

im in frank

Thanks, Cory. Those pigs that you and Zach catch at ATC won't be eligible for this contest, though. :lol:

Cory Bohmann

John Cachel

Larry Hemmens

Frank Rink

We only need 6 more for contest launch!

Post below if you want to play. Thanks!

I might be jumping the gun before we reach 10 participants, but here's a link to the contest website with more detailed information about the event (including specific rules):

2012 Midwest Winter Online Carp Contest website is here!

winter2012_logo.jpg

count me in frank.

rodolfo.

count me in frank.

rodolfo.

Thanks, Rodolfo. It looks as if the Chicago River will get a workout! --Frank

Cory Bohmann

John Cachel

Rodolfo Garcia

Larry Hemmens

Frank Rink

We are halfway to a contest launch!

Contest website!

Edited by FJR1

Hi Frank,

You can count me in 4-SURE!! I love big fish contests! Looks like the steelhead rods will be gathering dust this winter :lol: !!

Thanks!

Steve Braddy

Hi Frank,

You can count me in 4-SURE!! I love big fish contests! Looks like the steelhead rods will be gathering dust this winter :lol: !!

Thanks!

Steve Braddy

Uh, oh! The 2011 CAG Big 4 champion is in the contest. Thanks, Steve! Glad to see a Hoosier in the event.--Frank

Cory Bohmann

Steve Braddy

John Cachel

Rodolfo Garcia

Larry Hemmens

Frank Rink

We are 4 anglers away from a contest launch!

Contest website here!

winter2012_leaderbanner.jpg

I'm gonna haff to bust out all the secret spots now! I'm in! :o:lol::rolleyes:;):):P I'll pay you saturday. I'll take those spare tiger feeders also. look out middle here I come! :Banana:

Chibigtee always come through! Thanks, Tracy! I'll bring the feeders on Saturday. Jim Rink also posted on another forum that he is in. Thanks, Jim!--Frank

Cory Bohmann

Steve Braddy

John Cachel

Rodolfo Garcia

Larry Hemmens

Tracy Jourdan

Frank Rink

Jim Rink

We are 2 anglers away from a contest launch!

Contest website here!

winter2012_leaderbanner.jpg

I am sure that ice fishing is allowing! one hook per line! I will worry about how to land big carp from 8 inch hole! :lol:

OK, I am in. But I may be fishing one-handed in January so you really should spot me 50 lbs.

OK, I am in. But I may be fishing one-handed in January so you really should spot me 50 lbs.

Glad to see you up and posting, Paul. The surgery must have gone well. I thought I heard you once say that you could beat any of us with one hand tied behind your back. Now's your chance. There will be no 50 lb. head start for the Master. :lol: Thanks for entering.

Count me in Frankie, time to start chumming. :) :) Ed

Get those secret spots at North Ave. ready, Ed, and make sure the photoshop software is updated :lol:. Glad you're in. You are #10, so the contest is a go. Thanks.--Frank

With the addition of Dr. Pezalla and Mr. Montgomery, we have reached ten anglers for the 2012 winter contests. That means that I will definitely conduct the event. However, many more are welcome Post here or on the regional site(s) if you want in. Thanks, so far, for the quick response. I just thought about doing this late this morning, and we already have enough participants to make this a reality. Huge!--Frank

Cory Bohmann

Steve Braddy

John Cachel

Rodolfo Garcia

Larry Hemmens

Tracy Jourdan

Ed Montgomery

Paul Pezalla

Frank Rink

Jim Rink

Contest website here!

Make that 11 now ;)

Make that 11 now ;)

Welcome aboard once again, Mike. CARPBOWL is a perennial participant in the winter contests and a past winner.

Cory Bohmann

Steve Braddy

John Cachel

Rodolfo Garcia

Larry Hemmens

Tracy Jourdan

Ed Montgomery

Mike Olinger

Paul Pezalla

Frank Rink

Jim Rink

TG some of these folks have jobs. We don't want the banks too crowded during the week. :D

Time for me Frank. Im in.

Good job.

It is going to be very interesting contest.

Time for me Frank. Im in.

Good job.

It is going to be very interesting contest.

Thank you, Marcin. Happy to have last year's midwest winter online carp contest champion in the house!

Marcin moves the participant total to 12.

Cory Bohmann

Steve Braddy

John Cachel

Rodolfo Garcia

Larry Hemmens

Tracy Jourdan

Ed Montgomery

Mike Olinger

Paul Pezalla

Frank Rink

Jim Rink

Marcin Szydlowski

Contest website here!

The list is growing by the hour!!With some great carp anglers, should be a lot of fun! Can't wait to see those big frozen girls with a wintery backdrop!! :D !! Good luck to everyone!