FJR1

2012 Spring Pig Hunt Carp Tournament, Chicago, Il

Yes, this announcement is early, but it's wise to plan ahead:

mo3614.jpg

2012 Spring Pig Hunt Carp Tournament

Saturday, May 5, 2012 - 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Peg draw at 6:30 a.m.

Lincoln Park Rowing Lagoon, Chicago, IL

Get a head start on fishing one of the country's premiere big fish venues in the spring!

What: 2012 Spring Pig Hunt Carp Tournament. Catch and release; common and mirror carp only; walk-off peg draw; Big Three carp fishing event.

rule.jpg

When: Saturday,May 5th, 2012, 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM. Peg draw startspromptly at 6:30 AM.

rule.jpg

Where: Lincoln Park Rowing Lagoon, Chicago, Illinois. The venue is adjacent to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Pegs will be established about 100 feet apart and south of the boat house on the west side of the lagoon. Headquarters will be at about the midpoint of the length of the South Lagoon. Click here for a map.

rule.jpg

Who: Participation will be limited to 20 entrants. Contact Frank Rink to enter. Should you just show up on the day of the tournament without pre-registration, you run the risk of not being allowed to participate

rule.jpg

Why: The venue can be among the best in the country for big carp in late April through June.

rule.jpg

How: This is a pegged, catch and release, common and mirror carp, Top Three Carp format.

Two rods per peg and one hook per line are allowed. The carp must be released alive to count.

It is highly recommended that you bring back-leads. Rowers are plentiful on weekends and they row notoriously close to the bank. Please be courteous should you "snag" a boat.

There are to be no baited lines in the water and there is no prebaiting before the 7:00 a.m. start signal. Carp must be on the bank within 15 minutes of the 5:00 p.m. end signal, or they do not count.

The pegs will be approximately 75 feet apart.

The entry fee is $20.00; there will be an optional $10 big fish pot.

This event will feature a walk-off peg draw. Once your name is drawn, you may choose any of the available pre-designated pegs. Once you choose a peg, you may not move to another.

There will be a 100% payout of the entry fees to the top three finishers for heaviest total weight of their three biggest carp. Based on a 20 angler field, payout will be $200 for first, $125 for second, and $75 for third. If there are fewer than 20 entries, payout will be 50% of entry fees for first, 31.25% of entry fees for second, and 18.75% of entry fees for third.

As a CAG fundraiser, the proceeds of which will go directly to the organization, anglers will have the opportunity to buy additional peg-draw tickets with their name on it ($1 per ticket). The purchased tickets will be placed in the hat/drum prior to peg draw, statistically giving the angler who buys the most tickets the best chance to have his/her name drawn early to allow choice of a desired peg.

Fish are to be weighed via the buddy/witness system. Use an accurate scale and don't forget to tare the weigh sling. Weigh the fish in the presence of a witness (angler from an adjoining or close peg) and have the witness sign off on the weight. For the safety of the fish, anglers are expected to have their catches weighed immediately at capture. There is no sacking of fish. If you capture a carp that is obviously less in weight than any of your top three, please release it immediately.

Participants are required to complete and sign a waiver of liability form.

Please practice sensible and humane carp care, treat visitors with respect, be safe, and have fun.

rule.jpg

Parking: Parking on the Cannon Drive Zoo Lot right at the venue is $35+ for the day. However, with the early peg draw and the half hour grace period for the zoo parking lot, participants can drop off their gear at the lagoon and then leave the zoo lot and park at the free lots to the north at Diversey Harbor or along the street to the west at Stockton Drive. The venue is walking distance from those free lots/zones.

rule.jpg

Approximate Peg Locations (pegs numbered 1 through 20 run north to south):

Peg 1—Twenty yards south of the boathouse at a point where one concrete bank block at the near bank is higher than the adjoining block.

Peg 2—Near the big tree and in line with the smoke stack behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 3—After the willow tree and near a shallow hole in the ground near the concrete bank blocks.

Peg 4—Just after the overhanging branches of the tree.

Peg 5—Just before the willow tree and across from the parabolic curve in the wall on the far bank.

Peg 6—At/near the yellow pole.

Peg 7—Over 100 feet from peg 6 and just south of the willow branches.

Peg 8—Almost in line with the tree with the “Y” shape on the far bank.

Peg 9—Almost directly across from the chimney on the house/shack across the venue (to the east) at Lake Shore Drive.

Peg 10—At the missing concrete bank block on the near (west) bank.

Peg 11—Just to the immediate right of yet another missing concrete bank block on the near bank.

Peg 12—Just to the right of the branches/trees on the near bank.

Peg 13—In line with the corner of the red brick primate house behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 14—Lower drainage pipe on far wall.

Peg 15—In line with the One Way sign at Cannon Drive behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 16—Halfway between the missing concrete bank block and the yellow pole.

Peg 17—In line with the bus drop-off gate behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 18—At/near the drainage pipe on the far wall near the big tree.

Peg 19—In line with the electrical box behind you (to the west) at the zoo.

Peg 20—At/near the drainage pipe with the manhole cover or stump at the far bank and just to the left (north) of the 250 meter mark on the far wall.

easter_pegs_2011.jpg

rule.jpg

Thanks, Darren. I also received your entry fee. That's four anglers so far for the tourney: Darren Calver, Larry Seeman, Jason Towne, and Frank Rink.

It's still early, but the event is limited to 20 anglers. Let me know if you are in. Thanks.--Frank

Tournament website

Great venue at a great time of year! "Cinco de Mayo" :)

Count me in. Where do you want the entry fee sent?

Thank you, Dan and Mike. You are entries # 5 and 6. No need to send fees now. You can pay at the venue. Only 85 days to go. :lol: --Frank

Dr. Frank Rink

Only to rods this year, last year I thought it was three rods.

Dang Paul,its hard for a guy to keep up with you with two rods......They should cut you down to one rod,to give the other guys a chance. :P

83 days until the May 5th tournament, and we already have nine participants. Thanks, Adam, Brandon, and Cory! This event is limited to 20 pegs/20 anglers, so let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.--Frank

Click here for tournament website.

I'm in!!! One of my favorite places to fish

Outstanding, gentlemen! Good to have you on the list. Brian Sherwood from Houston, TX will also be in town for the event. With Zach, Branko, and Brian, our total entries are 12. Only eight more slots remain. Let me know. Thanks.--Frank

Only 8 pegs remain! Click here for tournament details and a list of entrants.

William Beckenhauer is in and he makes participant #13. Seven slots remain. Let me know.--Frank

Frank, reserve me a peg for this event.

Thank you, Paul. With 68 days remaining until the event, 14 anglers have committed. Only six slots remain. Let me know. Thanks.--Frank

Peg location

easter_pegs_2011.jpg

Contest website

We welcome Marcin Szydlowski and Andy Burnagiel to the May 5, Cinco de Mayo Pig Hunt at Lincoln Park's Rowing Lagoon. Only four slots remain. Let me know asap.--Frank

Participants as of 2/27/12:

1. Frank Rink

2. Larry Seeman

3. Jason Towne

4. Darren Calver

5. Dan Ramir

6. Mike Olinger

7. Adam Charns

8. Brandon Philips

9. Cory Bohmann

10. Zach Testa

11. Branko Kirincic

12. Brian Sherwood

13. William Beckenhauer

14. Paul Wells

15. Marcin Szydlowski

16. Andy Burnagiel

Don't forget that this is a walk-off peg draw and you can purchase extra name tickets to better your chances for an early choice. Proceeds from the purchase of extra tickets will all go to CAG!

Munenori Kajiwara has been added to our group of anglers participating in the Cinco de Mayo Tournament. Welcome back, Munenori! Only three slots remain. Let me know. Thanks.--Frank