Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

2012 Spring Pig Hunt Carp Tournament, Chicago, Il

Frank please sign Amos Behanna and Jathan Imhausen up for this Please

We heartily welcome Amos Behanna and Jathan Imhausen to our May 5 tournament. They are great anglers from our neighboring Hoosier state. Their entry means that only one or two (depending on Sgt. Testa staying or dropping) slots remain.--Frank

Participants as of 2/28/12:

1. Frank Rink

2. Larry Seeman

3. Jason Towne

4. Darren Calver

5. Dan Ramir

6. Mike Olinger

7. Adam Charns

8. Brandon Philips

9. Cory Bohmann

10. Zach Testa (tentative)

11. Branko Kirincic

12. Brian Sherwood

13. William Beckenhauer

14. Paul Wells

15. Marcin Szydlowski

16. Andy Burnagiel

17. Munenori Kajiwara

18. Amos Behanna

19. Jathan Imhausen

if i cannot find a solid partner for the WCC qualifying event by friday then i will be fishing the pig hunt with everyone.

if i cannot find a solid partner for the WCC qualifying event by friday then i will be fishing the pig hunt with everyone.

Thanks for the early decision.

Frank please sign Amos Behanna and Jathan Imhausen up for this Please

:yes: It'll be great to see you guys!

Thanks, Dan, for letting me know about Juan's interest. Welcome, Juan! Entries are now closed unless someone drops. If you drop, please post here or let me know, so someone who may be waiting can get in. Thanks. Good luck to all!--Frank

Participants as of 2/29/12:

1. Frank Rink

2. Larry Seeman

3. Jason Towne

4. Darren Calver

5. Dan Ramir

6. Mike Olinger

7. Adam Charns

8. Brandon Philips

9. Cory Bohmann

10. Zach Testa (tentative)

11. Branko Kirincic

12. Brian Sherwood

13. William Beckenhauer

14. Paul Wells

15. Marcin Szydlowski

16. Andy Burnagiel

17. Munenori Kajiwara

18. Amos Behanna

19. Jathan Imhausen

20. Juan Serrano

Tournament website is here!

After some more in depth research I will be attending the pig hunt. Time to get that first 40 from the canal! See you all there

After some more in depth research I will be attending the pig hunt. Time to get that first 40 from the canal! See you all there

told ya lol zach

Looks like I'm marshalling or just watching. No more space. You guys are lucky. later

The Cinco de Mayo Pig Hunt Carp Tournament at Lincoln Park's Rowing Lagoon is only a month away. We won't have to worry about water being too cold this year. In fact, I've fished the lagoon a couple times already and caught fish both times. Nothing huge (16-9 was biggest), but by May 5, it could be a haulfest. At least, I hope so.

Just as a reminder, this is a Big 3 event, so quantity is not a huge issue. There will be an optional Big Fish contest and others may want to run a total weight contest. Fishing will be from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

There will be a walk-off peg draw, and entrants are encouraged to participate in a CAG fund-raiser by purchasing extra $1 tickets to enhance your chances of your name being drawn early.

Entries are closed, but I'll keep entrants posted about any experiences I have at the lagoon prior to May 5. Good luck to our participants!--Frank

Participants entered in 5/5/12 Pig Hunt:

1. Frank Rink

2. Larry Seeman

3. Jason Towne

4. Darren Calver

5. Dan Ramir

6. Mike Olinger

7. Adam Charns

8. Brandon Philips

9. Cory Bohmann

10. Zach Testa

11. Branko Kirincic

12. Brian Sherwood

13. William Beckenhauer

14. Paul Wells

15. Marcin Szydlowski

16. Andy Burnagiel

17. Munenori Kajiwara

18. Amos Behanna

19. Jathan Imhausen

20. Juan Serrano

21. Tracy Jourdan

Tournament website

Since this is a walk off peg draw those of us who know nothing about the venue are at a decided disadvantage.

Is there a record of what swims have produced in the past?

Since this is a walk off peg draw those of us who know nothing about the venue are at a decided disadvantage.

Is there a record of what swims have produced in the past?

That's the way it goes, Brian. Maybe you should get here a a couple weeks early to pre-fish it in the April 21st tournament. Too bad. :lol:

On a more serious note, last year's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners were from pegs 14, 10, and 16 respectively.

Link here for a rundown of the event results.

Peg 14 is usually a honeyhole, but not always. In fact, when the fish are on, you can catch from any peg. I, personally, would avoid the far south pegs (18, 19, 20) if possible, but our March has been warm, and the big ones could be down there just prior to spawn.

Fish typically swim into the lagoon from the lake access on the north side of the venue, so the first few pegs can also be good (1, 2, 3). It all depends on timing and at what point the carp are in their annual rites of spring.

I've given you as much as I know based on prior experience. Keep in mind that this is not Ladybird Lake. The lagoon is a fairly small body of water that attracts carp at the spawn. We are all pegged fairly close to one another. The Chicago boys may have more information should they care to share it.--Frank

easter_pegs_2011.jpg

Thanks Frank. That little bit does help.

Hey Brian, Tracy here. It was built for rowing competitions and in the very old days, the zoo brought the animals in by ship. Unload at Navy pier and reload to a smaller boat and deliver the animals to the zoo via a small rail system that you can still see parts of today. What that means is the north end(boat house) is deeper than the south end. Depth ranges from 6/8 feet at the boat house to 2/5 feet at the south end. Since our prevailing wind is from the northwest, the south end usually has warmer water. Because of the difference in depth from north to south, there can be a 10 degree difference in water temp. Bottom is fairly featureless, mostly rock and sand and a few snags. Main channel down the middle with a secondary channel around it but only a 12 to 18 inch change. MAKE SURE YOU BRING BACK LEADS! The record for catching boats was set 2 years ago at 14. The wall surronding the channel is about 3 feet high, so a long handled net is not needed but it sure helps. Hope this helps. See you 5/5. later

We are about 10 days away from the Cinco de Mayo Pig Hunt Carp Tourney scheduled for May 5 at Lincoln Park's Rowing Lagoon!

The tournament has been filled for quite some time. Don't forget that I am conducting a CAG fundraiser at this event through which you can add your name to the draw bucket as many times as you wish for $1 per name-ticket. This, of course, increases your chances of being drawn early and having a wider choice of pegs. Proceeds will be sent to CAG that evening via Paypal.

As a reminder, here is a list of prizes:

First Place Big 3 Carp – Medal and 50% of Entry Fees ($200 if all entrants are present)

Second Place Big 3 Carp – Medal and 31.25% of Entry Fees ($125 if all entrants are present)

Third Place Big 3 Carp – Medal and 18.75% of Entry Fees ($75 if all entrants are present)

maybe2012_big_three_prizes.jpg

Big Fish – Medal and 75% of Big Fish Pot for first and 25% of Big Fish Pot for second

maybe2012_big_fish_prizes.jpg

Big Mirror – Medal and CAG cup, mousepad, patch, and decal

maybe2012_mirror_prizes.jpg

Total Weight All Fish – Medal and Unhooking may (photo coming later) generously donated by Jim Donlan and Westside Bait and Tackle.

Someone may wish to conduct a sidepot for total weight.

maybe2012_totalweight_prizes.jpg

Don’t forget that peg draw is at 6:30 a.m. sharp.

There is a two rod limit per participant.

Don’t forget backleads.

Good luck.--Frank

Click here for tournament details

I'm making and trying some new baits just for this, hopefully they work out for me. If they do I'll be happy to make them for others.