Carp Anglers Group Forums

It is with much sadness that Nigel Griffin has received confirmation that carp guiding legend Bernie Haines has indeed passed away.

Bernie releasing a 43+

post-479-0-15812700-1330457477_thumb.jpg

Born in Sussex, England Bernie operated a carp guiding service in Massena NY on the St Lawrence river from 1989 until 2006.

He was an absolute legend both in North America and Europe.

We'll pass on more details as they become available and in the meantime enjoy this write up from way back in 1996

CALL HIM CARPMAN.pdf

And the photo that many of us remember from his video series...

post-479-0-48242000-1330458192_thumb.jpg

Sad to hear about Berine! I met him in Chicago Carp Classic and fished with him after CCC. I have his video. One of what I like that he used crayfish as bait dipping down to a large carp's nose! I know he use mazies a lot and never cook it. He let his mazies in water for a long time and smell bad. It work for large carp. Let us hear more about him. RIP Berine!

Very Sad Day... RIP

I spoke to him on the phone prior to the WCC in 2005. Made sure I met him and shook his hand up there. He had a ton of knowledge and passion for Carp fishing. Hate to hear he is gone.

Another great photo from TD-P of Bernie with a then PB common...

post-479-0-55942600-1330477065_thumb.jpg

RIP Bernie. Have a good journey. We will ALL see you someday

I spent a very boozy night with him in a bar after the WCC 2005. He was describing intently how he'd invented a SAN disk the size of a cigarette carton that could contain the entire worlds data, and how it was going to be his retirement nest egg. Completely nuts but you can never doubt his genius, RIP old fella

During the summer of 2004, I stayed a week at Bernie's place in Massena. He taught me about long rods, baitrunner reels and hair rigs. His wonderful wife (also now deceased) was a great cook. I'll always remember that experience,

In the summer, Bernie would drive his boat around wearing only a thong - he got tanned all over....... :)

RIP Bernie.

post-1122-0-38487300-1330530400_thumb.jp

post-1122-0-27162300-1330530438_thumb.jp

I'll always remember him after the 1st. Jr. tournament I hosted a fish-in in Ogdensburg he was nice enough to come with the little tug and bait the area up for us And that Speedo he sported the whole day of the fish-in He was one of a king he'll be remembered and missed After he left the St. Larry the fishing never was the same He was in my opinion a true carp expert

And the photo that many of us remember from his video series...

post-479-0-48242000-1330458192_thumb.jpg

Bernie's video, back around the Krafty Katcher days, was a major impetus in me starting to fish for carp.

Bernie has now been enshrined into the land of YouTube.

http://www.bigcarp.news/web/videos/classic-carp-fishing-video-from-bernie-haines/

Sad a person that so much started putting Carp on the USA map...life is short :(