Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sirwiam

Carp At Lake Tahoe

I live within reasonable driving distance of Lake Tahoe in California.

Q..... Can anybody provide info on Carp in the Lake or any of the many lakes in the area??

The best I've been able to find so far is that ..yes Carp exist in the big lake..but no answers as to what type, where is best place to fish and what is size potential.

The big lake is huge (40+ miles around) and 1000+ feet deep.

Sooo...I was wondering if there are Carp in any of the much smaller lakes within the basin area.

Tried talking to fishermen last week when I was there for a skiing trip...the locals never go after Carp, so local info is marginal at best. The best so far is that Carp have been known near the Tunnel on Rt 50 NV side of the lake.

My 'E' is sirwiam@yahoo.com

909 592 1608

William Reed

In the spring I would look in the shallow coves, especially those with dark or weedy bottoms. They warm up more quickly, and the carp will probably move there to be more comfortable.

When it comes to Carp, you need to look at the behaviour the fish have. Look for shallow coves, and areas that have under water structures and snaggs. These areas warm up faster and tend to hold more food Carp come in to feed on. Once you find a few promissing spots i would go there and chum the area. Its only a matter of time. look for signs of fish feeding, if you have an inflatable you can paddle on top of the swim you have chummed and look for the bait you have put out. if its gone you know you have chosen the right spot. Good luck!

If you have an inflatable you can paddle on top of the swim you have chummed and look for the bait you have put out. if its gone you know you have chosen the right spot. Good luck!

Oftimes, at an unfamiliar water, I will place a few lbs of soaked maize in the water near the shoreline at dusk. [if desired, this can be done in conjunction with a more general chumming campaign.] The water should be as deep as possible but shallow enough to allow you to see the maize when standing on the shoreline. I like to do this just before dark to minimize the chance that other, non-aquatic, corn eaters will eat the maize. Return in the morning, preferably just before dawn, and check status. If the maize is gone, the carp probably ate it. If its still there, there are probably no/few carp around that spot. When the corn is gone, I have never failed to catch carp at that location.

maybe too late , i took a kayak to Tahoe almost every week for a year, i don't believe there are any Carp in the lake. The water is extremely cold all year round and there is limited food. There are Trout and Char. The truckee river has many different fish, didn't see any Carp, there are many lakes around Reno that have lots of carp they are shallow and get warm in the summer. PM me if you want specifics.

I did tell William about this, there was a news report where they had caught giant goldfish there and they were blaming them for the usuall problems, but on a trip there i met an eastern european guy who told me he catches carp and koi there in the keys at the south end, when you walk around there it looks very carpy especially on the channels where theyv not yet built houses on and have read about carp in the truckee river which is connected.

Also met a lady who fly fished for carp there, letting her "lure" fall down the cliff face into deep water, cant remember the name but its the area where the road goes through a tunnel right next to the water(NV side), she said they would take it on its way down. All this aside no reports of any realistic sizes

maybe too late , i took a kayak to Tahoe almost every week for a year, i don't believe there are any Carp in the lake. The water is extremely cold all year round and there is limited food. There are Trout and Char. The truckee river has many different fish, didn't see any Carp, there are many lakes around Reno that have lots of carp they are shallow and get warm in the summer. PM me if you want specifics.

Apparently chumming is legal in NV ive often wondered about that really big lake on the north side of 80 several miles out of reno going toward salt lake city. whether it has carp and camp/fish 24/7 is do able there.

If not in Tahoe, perhaps Pyramid?

I know that Keith and Kristy live up there and they always drove down to the warmer lakes. Brid , Kristy and Keith all moved to Austin Texas but they would know about Lake Tahoe.

Jeff