Extraordinary Saturday At Buffalo Bay

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_carlymoomoo_*

Guest_carlymoomoo_*
  • Visitor

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Neil and I hit a new venue Saturday we dubbed "Buffalo Bay" on Eagle Mountain Lake her in Texas. Bank fishing around this lake is nigh on impossible as there is NO public access. We managed to contact someone with some property for sale and they gave us permission to bank fish there.

Within 2 hours of getting our rods in the water, we had about 8 or 9 catfish. We were both thinking... "Not again!"

But just like you flipped a switch, the catfish turned off and the buffalo turned on. The smallest being about 13 pounds and largest was a 20+ pound black buffalo, the first I've seen and only the second that Neil's ever caught. Almost coal black with a beautiful helix pattern in the scales. During the day, we managed more than our share of buffs, netting over 250 pounds in a session cut short at about 3 in the afternoon. I've included the list I tried to keep, which wasn't easy at the rate we were landing them. Even had my first double, both of them buffs in the mid teens. For lunch, we even pulled our rods out of the water to get a few minutes rest.

Early on we managed to snap my net's spreader bar trying to land a buff that came in at a difficult-to-get-to area. Most of the fish you see here were netted by holding the spreader bars. Still worked out okay, but from now on we carry a spare net.

Did I mention we shared the bank with a handful of water moccasins? At one point, we could see 5 of them in one spot about 20 feet down the bank from us. Two of them were as big around as my wrist. Not monsters by no means, but still respectable. Since the fishing was good, we reached an agreement with them to leave each other alone. I did look real careful though every time I climbed down to net a fish.

Since we were fishing in an area that was normally "off limits" to fishermen, the owner of the land started getting angry calls from people and sent a security guard down to tell us we could fish, but we would have to move our truck and extra gear farther away where it wasn't as noticeable. We figured we had just about had all the fishing we could take for one day (I kid you not; I've got bruises in my upper thigh and groin from the butt end of my rods), and went ahead and packed up early thinking maybe we could scout out another place to try our luck next time. Will keep you posted how that works out.

20 lb buff Neil
10 lb common Carl
18 lb buff Neil
10 lb buff Neil
20.4 lb black buff Neil
10 lb buff Carl
16 lb buff Carl
12 lb buff Neil
14 lb buff Carl
14 lb common Carl
6 lb common Carl
12 lb common Carl
16.5 lb buff Carl
14 lb buff Carl
13 lb black buff Neil
6 lb common Carl
6.75 common Carl
14.5 buff Carl
10.5 lb buff Carl
17.25 buff Carl

Attached Files

#2 cubzzz

cubzzz

Obsessed Carper

• CAG Member
  • 541 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Brid

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Wow now that is a great day of fishing.

Jeff

#3 SoCalCarper

SoCalCarper

Carping When Possible

• CAG Member
  • 2,230 posts
  • Interests:Carp fishing, Call Of Duty, imports,fast cars, WINGS, HONDA
  • Who Referred you?:No One

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

wow that buff is bad arse never seen one like that. i wouldve stayed far away from them snakes
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->Just Fishing
History repeats itself opportunities do not! -E40

#4 Guest_carlymoomoo_*

Guest_carlymoomoo_*
  • Visitor

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

wow that buff is bad arse never seen one like that. i wouldve stayed far away from them snakes

Yea, the thing about water moccasins is that they are very aggressive sometimes, particularly when cornered. I've had one actually chase me before when he had a perfectly good chance to go the other way. Lucky for me, unlike him, I was running on dry ground... :yes:

#5 Idaho Carpin

Idaho Carpin

Obsessed Carper

• State Chair
  • 1,355 posts
  • Who Referred you?:Neils from Rome NY

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Sounds like a great day of fishing guys that buff is something different for sure. :yourock:

PB common 27 lbs and change

PB MIRROR FROM BLACKFOOT 28lb 10oz

PB buff n\a

PB Grassy N\A soon to change

PB STURGEON uhm alot

#6 Mario Kok

Mario Kok

Chasing dreams...

• CAG Member
  • 7,330 posts
  • Who Referred you?:NA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Neil can't catch a mirror carp but leave it to him to nail a fully scaled mirror/mudler buffalo. :P

ConKOKtion

#7 dopefish905

dopefish905

Obsessed Carper

• Forum Guest
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Tricking Fish...
  • Who Referred you?:></////*>

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Wow that black buff is amazing looking, well done guys quite the session to say the least!

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish Old Fish New Fish... DopeFish!?

#8 Neil Stern

Neil Stern

" The Scuba Doc"

• CAG Member
  • 11,561 posts
  • Interests:CARP FISHING..BOATING....dabbing in Electricity...Natural Health and of course SCUBA DIVING & Underwater Photography
  • Who Referred you?:Brian & Zack

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

i COULDN'T BELIEVE IT !!!
Caught a lot of Buffs over the years, but BLACK BUFFS are kind of rare here in Texas...the mouth and eye configurations are different than the regular buffs
and that JET BLACK color was outstanding, and to have a Helix pattern as well was wayyyyyyyyy to cool !!!! ( Still not a Koi but I;m happy for now )

there will be no mistaken this one on a re-capture......crazy day for a new venue....but one hell of a day at that!!!
Carl didn't mention it, but as the bite alarm went off on the Black Buff, a cop was checking my license...I had to excuse myself from him checking my PAPERS to set the hook, and play the fish,,,,,he stood around, watched the entire fight, and was a little surprised at all that was going on crazy rod pods, weird bite alarms, etc, etc....
I might add to what Carl said, the butt of my rod left me with a very pretty Black and Blue mark on my upper the thigh ....these buffs had an attitude, but that Black Buff must have really been pissed, fought and took out line like a trooper !!!!...great day......oh and Carl, I've got a new net and spreader bar on order,,,it was a ###### landing fish the way we did,,,,,lesson learned,,,,we'll be carrying another net in the future,,, :thewave:

Carl had me a bit worried what with him getting close to those snakes for pictures,,,,at one point I flat out told him, if one bit him on the wanger, he was going to soon learn that I'm not the great fiend he thought I was :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :o

Neil 50.gif

2005, 2006, 2007,2012,2013,2014- ATC- Organizer
Past Membership Director 2005-2009
Champion of the Queen Recipient

IN TEXAS, everything is bigger...even the CARP!
Got the 20, Got the 30, Working on the 4028.gif
Mirror, Mirror in the Lake OR POND--I GOT YA party_14.gif
Now off to get a KOI Rainbow.gif
Before Jackie does !!!
freude_16.gif

out of retirement and back in practice

STAR RATING AWARDED BY MYSELF
happy0065.gif happy0065.gifhappy0065.gif happy0065.gifhappy0065.gif

#9 hammercarp

hammercarp

I can name my own title

• State Chair
  • 7,854 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, Working.
  • Who Referred you?:NA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Wow,now that is a haul of buffs. That is probably more caught in one session than get caught here in ten years. Congratulations on the black buffalo Doc.
CAGCanadalogoavatar-2.jpgsmiley-char096.gif
"The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible"
What has been said about me. "Fact is, your only goal on these boards, is to spread CAG, and to make people feel good about carp fishing and releasing them back into the water..................................."

#10 Big Ted

Big Ted

Uber Poster

• Forum Guest
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

That is a sweet buff!

Those snakes though appear to be just common water snakes. But when in doubt, leave them alone!

PB Common: 38#
PB Mirror: 12# 5 oz
PB SM Buffalo: 50# 8 oz
PB Grasser: 39# 8oz

Pretty much obsessed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users