Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

steveb

Australian Carping.

Hi Guys

First off I would like to say I love the forum, I have been reading for years, especially love the exploits of the Ol Captain and his merry band of followers, there was also a young guy that was doing a blog style post for quite a while... can't remember his name now (Zac? maybe, not sure) but it was great to follow.

I thought this might be a good place to put my first post, just to give you a little bit of information on the Carping Scene over here. The attitude towards Carp here is negative in the extreme. Carp have been blamed or implicated in a lot of degradation to our waterways, they have been an easy scapegoat for waterway mismanagement. The general public are fairly misinformed and anything perceived as supporitng carp in the public domain tends to draw a lot negative comments (hopefully they don't follow me here). I can understand that people are upset that the native fish have declined and Carp are filling the void, but Carp are a symptom not the cause. There is a lot of anti carp propaganda that has been pushed for years and it's impossible to see it ever changing, but who knows. The Government have been working on Genetically modified Carp that only produce male offspring, and also testing KHV for release into our waters as control measures. One State that is fairly famous for its introduced trout, has spent over $7 million trying to eradicate carp from one lake. Some States have massive fines for releasing a carp back to where it was caught in the first place, I've been told it's a fairly big fine, but it's hard to prove when the evidence is out there somewhere swimming around, luckily I don't live in one of these States.

Anyway it's not all doom and gloom, there are some great Carping opportunties over here, massive waterways that have been largely unexplored by session Carpers. All you need is a licence that is about $25 and alway you go. The scene down here is fairly small, but needless to say is a bit of an underground sort of thing. We tend not to advertise locations or tactics too much as there are a lot of people out there trying to destroy them, we just go about our business not attracting too much attention.

Basically all our gear has to be imported, however there are a couple of local dealers you can go through.

I've heard of rumours of 50lb fish over here from private waters, and electrofished, but the biggest caught by a Carp angler I've seen is 43lb.

Here are a few of my better fish, ranging from upper 20s to low 30s

P1010323.jpg

P1010315.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

P1010368.jpg

P1000738.jpg

I also get a bit of by-catch of Murray Cod which is one of most highly regarded sportfish over here. This is what the majority of freshwater anglers in the southern States want to catch, they can grow to about 200lb, but are rarely seen at half that size. They are a hard hitting ambush predator and people fish for them with extra large spinnerbaits with quad colorado blades. They don't mind doing a bit of foraging every now and then, and thats when they pick up Carp baits. It's always good to have a bit of variety for a surprise if nothing else but they can make short work of light hooklengths. According to the mainstream view Carp need to be destroyed to promote this fish, but from what I can see they live side by side fairly well.

P1010355-Copy.jpg

P1010227.jpg

Anyway, keep up the good work, love reading your forum. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome. Thanks for the info. It sounds similar to the attitude most people have towards carp here in Canada. Not as harsh as there though. Those are some great looking catches. Hopefully you'll share some more with us.

Good to see some nice carp coming from 'down under'!

I travel to Sydney once or twice a year and mostly take advantage of chasing saltwater species on the fly in the harbor. Looks like next time I'll have to try some Aussie carp fishing and adding a Murray cod to the species list would be very cool as well.

Thanks for sharing those pics and keep us updated!

nice looking fish Thanks for sharing look forward to more reports.

We have the same issue in the united states with the Carp being blamed for everything man has done to the water ways. We have guys here as well that beleive the almighty placed them on this earth to destroy every carp they can find so. We have to be careful about sharing info as well our Government is more tolerant of the fish then yours it sounds like but you still have ignorance with in certain people

I travel to Sydney once or twice a year and mostly take advantage of chasing saltwater species on the fly in the harbor. Looks like next time I'll have to try some Aussie carp fishing and adding a Murray cod to the species list would be very cool as well.

There are some big Carp around Sydney, I don't want to give away too much on a public forum but let me know next time you are coming out and I will try to give you some information. The ponds in Centennial Park in Sydney have produced Carp to 24kg (53lb). Fishing is not allowed unless you register and fish in their fishing program, you have to register in advance, I believe they do tuesday afternoons. They have fairly restrictive rules, but it's still a good day out. Probably a great idea being a tourist with limited gear and time. At the very least take a few loaves of bread and some polarized glasses and go have a look, some really big ones in there and it's only a short walk from the city.I live about 3 hours away from Sydney, but I've done a few days there with the guy who manages the fishing program, here is one of the better fish I had out of there.

Steve21.jpg

You would have to travel further out of Sydney for Cod as they aren't found around Sydney, they're mostly in the western flowing rivers and dams over the dividing range. Australian Bass are found in the coastal systems near Sydney though, they are the most popular freshwater fish in Sydney. This isn't a large one, but you get the idea. I think any of your Largemouth Bass tactics would probably work, perhaps scaled down a little.

P1000596.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steveb

great pics nice looking carp you got there

There are some big Carp around Sydney, I don't want to give away too much on a public forum but let me know next time you are coming out and I will try to give you some information. The ponds in Centennial Park in Sydney have produced Carp to 24kg (53lb). Fishing is not allowed unless you register and fish in their fishing program, you have to register in advance, I believe they do tuesday afternoons. They have fairly restrictive rules, but it's still a good day out. Probably a great idea being a tourist with limited gear and time. At the very least take a few loaves of bread and some polarized glasses and go have a look, some really big ones in there and it's only a short walk from the city.I live about 3 hours away from Sydney, but I've done a few days there with the guy who manages the fishing program, here is one of the better fish I had out of there.

You would have to travel further out of Sydney for Cod as they aren't found around Sydney, they're mostly in the western flowing rivers and dams over the dividing range. Australian Bass are found in the coastal systems near Sydney though, they are the most popular freshwater fish in Sydney. This isn't a large one, but you get the idea. I think any of your Largemouth Bass tactics would probably work, perhaps scaled down a little.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably coming down again in November so will be sure to check out Centennial Park. If I have more time it would be great to get out of the city and explore some more fishing opportunities. Cheers, Iain

Welcome Steve! We all have had some experience with others' attitudes against common carp, and while no doubt the blame game is overdone, there are some cases where carp makes the water more turbid (or is that turgid?) which makes it harder for those sight-feeding native fish to recover.

Anyways, you have some beautifully formed fish in great condition, judging from you photos.

And those Murray Cod remind me both of largemouth bass and Nile perch in appearance.

I've never been to Oz and likely never will, but you do have some unique fisheries there!

Again, welcome!

Welcome. Those carp are beauties and those Murray Cod are sure impressive looking beasts.

Hi Steve,

Do I recognize your name from Fishnet?

Anyhow, some great catches you have made, well done....... more power to you!

Good luck ,

ATB Carpsava

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing a nice write up with great pictures. Looking forward to more. Well done

go to centinial park with a loaf of bread and a telescopic!

keep an eye out for the park rangers though!

Caught this 32lb 13oz beast on the weekend, pretty happy considering it's Winter here now. :D

P1010415-Copy.jpg

steveb

glad you have come on the forum with a lowdown on the oz carp and also for those great murray cod pics. if i'm not corrected, thats the very species the carp are supposed to be killing off isn't it?

Steve, Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably coming down again in November so will be sure to check out Centennial Park. If I have more time it would be great to get out of the city and explore some more fishing opportunities. Cheers, Iain

sorry for the earlier post.... i didn't read all the thread.

i went to centinial park about 15 years ago now with a local that i met in the pitt st tackle shop. he was fascinated by euro freshwater fishing an offered to take me fishing in exchange for some uk floats sent over.

first off he took me to a place called yellow rock which was interesting to say the least. most dangerous place to fish the east coast of oz and he'd seen three people die there(2 into the sea and one off the climb down).whilst there, we put all or tackle on this huge rock about 30 metres back. others wern't so clever and i saw them lose their kit into the sea. it was about an 80 ft cliff descent then a swell rising and falling over rocks and ledge by about 20 feet. i caught a black fish on floatfished seaweed inbetween running for my life before he took me to centinial park after hearing of my carp fishing back in england. i saw some good ones in a couple of the lakes there and he said he'd landed 5 around 20lb in a couple of hours before but you could hardly take any tackle because of the rangers. good luck if you try it savayman.

andrew

p.s not sure if a guide called craig mcgill is still around but i watched a video of his catching kingfish from a reef in the harbour near the entrance. if he is and its the right time of year, go for it!

Andrew

I don't believe Carp a really killing off any species as such, but Carp are an introduced fish that breeds well and is displacing native fish (as Carp make up approximately 70-90% of the total fish biomass in the South East of the Country). They could be said to out compete other species, but I think Carp are now probably the major prey item for the Cod also.

The real problem is that most of our native fishes can no longer successfully reproduce in most of their former range. Most native fish are river species that require very specific conditions to breed, now that a lot of the rivers are dammed or highly regulated this effects there spawning greatly. A lot of native species are vulnerable or endangered anf rely on stocking to sustain the fishery, but I believe if Carp were gone tomorrow this would not address the cause of their decline.

The habitat has changed a lot due to human intervention and as I mentioned the native fishes are not well adapted to this. Carp are well suited to the changes humans have made to our waterways, and are thriving as a result.

It's a very emotive subject over here, and there is a lot of misinformation going on. Many people will tell you that carp are eating the river banks and eroding them causing the rivers to become shallow and the trees to fall in, but the speed boats that fly up and down the river creating constant 2ft high waves have nothing much to do with it of course.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Steve that is much the same in the waters in the US where carp are villified.

People have polluted, dammed, or otherwise altered the systems do that the native fish die off and are replaced by carp which thrive in the marginal conditions, and then the carp get the blame. 😒

Awesome fish ...I would love to fish there,beautiful photos Steve.Keep em coming.

Awesome Steve, I love the positive attitude and the nice fish your catching. I'm sure with time things will improve. Good luck M8!